I opened the box containing my brand new iPhone 5S and found it stuffed with paper.

mwboost

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Hey all. This is my first post yet to intro.Anyway just really pissed right now.

So i had a 5s on lay by.Picked it up lastnight.
Get home and get onto itunes on my laptop then i get the iphone box. Cut open the plastic and lift off the top of the box to find NO IPHONE!
No earphones,no sim tool or little booklet.Intead just paper shoved into where it should be. So all i got was the charger and usb.

So now i'm waiting for the shop to contact apple. Just wish they could refund me as i don't want to wait around it should just be there problem now not mine.

Thinking of contacting apple myself too.

Anyone had a similar problem?

Cheers.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I've heard of this on the street, but not from an Apple Store or Authorized dealer. The phone's model number, serial number and etc should be on the box. Maybe they can trace it down with the info on the box.

Sent from from my iPhone 5

mwboost

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Yeah i've never really heard of this happen to an iphone before.Have heard of it happen to an ipod once i think to someone though.Long time ago.

And yeah the store has got the serial and imei numbers and all that.Apparently it has'nt been activated but i'm in Australia so not sure if we can find if it's in another country.

The plastic wrapping seemed fine but i did'nt think to pay attention to that. Just wanted to get to the phone....which was'nt there lol.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Not long ago this was happening with iPods at a local store a guy would buy them open take ipod fill will a weight or something then re shrink it and return it.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

mwboost

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
I just hope they don't try and point the finger at me as it's my word against there's. They are not blaming me at the moment as they've told me they have ways of finding out if i'm being shifty.
Next phone i will open in front of them for sure.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Your handling this well I would be livid. Hope it all works out right for you and yes I would call Apple as well

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Wow. That definitely freaked me out. I think I'll be opening my new devices wherever I purchase them at. That's insane that you had that happen to you. Hopefully it'll be rectified soon. =(

Keep us up to date on what happens okay?

?Sent from a larger than life device. Using Tapatalk?

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore. WOW sorry this happened to you and it is not a common problem with Apple products. I would go back to the place of purchase for starters.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Kind of why I like to buy things like this from the store. The last 5c I bought, I got from a brick and mortar Verizon store. The sales lady had to open the box in front of me to get the phone out to activate it. I was able to look through the box to make sure everything was included.

Sorry about your luck.

Elizabeth2

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I opened the box containing my brand new iPhone 5S and found it stuffed with ...

I just hope they don't try and point the finger at me as it's my word against there's. They are not blaming me at the moment as they've told me they have ways of finding out if i'm being shifty.
Next phone i will open in front of them for sure.

Mwboos I also commend you for your cool calm attitude! I'm not sure I could have been this reserved. That being said please keep us all here at iMore in the loop. I'd love to hear you get a new phone out of this mess!

Last edited:

anon4757448

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I've read about this happening...with iPads...on different occasions at one of big box retailers. I believe the employees were stealing them then repackaging. I decided then to only buy Apple products from the Apple store or my carrier.

I really hope you get this resolved. Keep us posted.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

mwboost

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
I got it from big w. Which is like kmart or wallmart type of store. Most phone stores i go to usually open them up but they are phone stores so thats kinda different i guess.Still would've liked them to check.
I now have to wait till early in the week for them to contact me. Just give me another phone damn it! lol. It shouldn't be my problem now. They should just refund me or whatever and they deal with the stuff up.Not having me wait around phoneless....i feel so naked haha.

I'll keep you all updated.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Where did you buy it? The store employees are ripping them off. Unless it's a delivery person doing it. I don't see Apple being the place to call.

mwboost

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
From big w.Like a kmart wallmart type of store.It was fully sealed with plastic still on.Unless someone can reseal it i'm thinking an apple factory worker might've pocketed the phone.Then shoving the paper inside the box to bring up the weight of the box.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
From big w.Like a kmart wallmart type of store.It was fully sealed with plastic still on.Unless someone can reseal it i'm thinking an apple factory worker might've pocketed the phone.Then shoving the paper inside the box to bring up the weight of the box.

People can reshrink it at home with hair dryers or heat gun. If I was that store I would be looking at employees

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73