If Apple didn't exist, which phone manufacturer/OS would you choose?

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Say Apple stayed in the world of personal computers and had never branched out to the cell phone market, which manufacturer or OS would you choose?

Over the years, i've used Blackberry, Palm, Android and dabbled in Windows phone and I can safely say that I would probably go with an HTC Phone using Android, purely based on their current phone line-up.

I hated the Blackberry I had with a passion. I thought the software was the least intuitive OS I had ever used. It was awkward to find settings and things just seemed to be all over the place. I dount doubt the latest crop of BB devices are much better but they soured the water for me a few years back with the abomination I had.

Palm was interesting for me as it was at the time when cell phones were only just starting to become 'smartphones' and I enjoyed the time I had with it. Windows phone was based on the month of usage I had with a Lumia 1020 before it actually launched to the public. It was a great phone but I didn't like the interface much.

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Good question, but a hard one. Had BB before coming over to Apple and that's because they didn't fill what I needed in a phone. So I probably would of went over to android.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I would be on a Palm phone in fact I believe if Apple wasn't in the game the mass majority of smartphone users would also be using a Palm

First of all Palm wouldn't have made the decisions it made because the competition would have been hugely different. The Palm pre came out in 09 two years after the iPhone and there operation system at the time of release rivaled iOS it was even stated that Steve Jobs made quite a comment about webOS.

Most of the Developers have already committed to the Apple ecosystem which aided in slowing the release of available apps for webOS. Apple aided in the dismiss of Palm and if they weren't in the game the smartphone market would be dominated by Palm.

iMore Ambassador -iPhone 5s

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I would shudder to think that Apple wouldn't have made the iPhone if they never existed...but thankfully they did.

If push came to shove, Blackberries would be my primary devices.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Either Motorola or Nokia; possibly HTC. They were always my favorites before the iPhone came around. I have never cared for Samsung or LG devices.

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Then again most of us probably would be using blackberry because without apple opening the doors they did most of these other devices wouldn't exist

Sent from my iPhone 5s

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Well since that is concept and we have so many real world phones and OSs - What would yours be? Just a simple alternative to whatever Apple model you are using now. :) or do you use another device?

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I would easily choose LG or Samsung for Android. I would like to be able to choose Windows phone but would have to see if they had my needed key apps.

Sent from 4 f IV 🔘

Last edited:

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Windows Phone probably would be a better platform than Android come WP 8.1, and I would like to see a good third player take its place.

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Windows Phone probably would be a better platform than Android come WP 8.1, and I would like to see a good third player take its place.

I would love to see the Lumia 1520 be able to be as useful to me as my iOS devices. I think all it would need to do is finally have they apps I need (or at least be able to use the web as an alternative). When I tried the 1520 in early December, unfortunately, it wasn't able to do either.

iOS may not be as 'exciting' to some out there but it works (IMO, it works quite well too), and its app ecosystem is second to none. IMO. Android has the apps but, IME, they're not as high quality as their iOS counterparts...but at least they exist. That's why it would be my fallback.

Sent from 4 f IV 🔘

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I would love to see the Lumia 1520 be able to be as useful to me as my iOS devices. I think all it would need to do is finally have they apps I need (or at least be able to use the web as an alternative). When I tried the 1520 in early December, unfortunately, it wasn't able to do either.

iOS may not be as 'exciting' to some out there but it works (IMO, it works quite well too), and its app ecosystem is second to none. IMO. Android has the apps but, IME, they're not as high quality as their iOS counterparts...but at least they exist. That's why it would be my fallback.

Sent from 4 f IV 🔘

The app gap has closed up considerably between Windows Phone and the rest, and with the ground they have made so far, I think they deserve their slice of the pie.

I tried a Lumia 525 and was pleasantly surprised at how well the phone met my needs squarely, and that recently changed my view on the platform. I would consider a future Windows Phone driver, but not anytime soon as I love my iPhones too much currently.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods