Is it really Apple's fault?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I read a lot of news, RSS feeds, forum posts, etcetera where things happen to people, and I find that their first reaction to to blame others, especially businesses, in regard to things that are clearly not the fault of the businesses. Having said that, I'm going to ask a series of questions and ask that you share your answers and thoughts on the questions asked. NOTE: I will focus solely on incidents where Apple is blamed.

1. Is it Apple's fault that you laid your iPhone down in a restaurant unguarded, went to use the restroom, and upon returning, discovered that it had been stolen?

2. Is it Apple's fault that you opted to not enable the "Find My iPhone" feature or "Location Services" that could be used to help locate your iPhone?

3. Is it Apple's fault that your girlfriend/boyfriend found out that you were cheating by reading iMessages on your iPhone that you failed to passcode lock?

4. Is it Apple's fault that the message, "Can I see you tonight?" popped up on the lock screen and was visible by your wife/husband because you failed to go into the settings to disable the "Show on Lock Screen" option?

5. Is it Apple's fault that you tried to save a few dollars and purchased a blocked iPhone or one that is protected with an iCloud activation lock from a person with a shady character?

6. Is it Apple's fault that you bought an iPhone from someone in the U.S. at a cheaper price that you cannot activate in your home country?

7. Is it Apple's fault that something went wrong when you tried to jailbreak your iPhone, and in the process, caused you to lose all of your precious music, text messages, videos and photos that you never created a backup for?

Is it Apple's fault? If not, why do people blame Apple for these things?

Last edited:

thatgirl87

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
No, none of it is Apple's fault, but how do you disable messages on lock screen for #4?

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
No, none of it is Apple's fault, but how do you disable messages on lock screen for #4?

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

1. Go to Settings - Notification Center - Messages and then disable "Show on Lock Screen". You might want to disable "Show Preview" also.

Les74

May 30, 2011
Visit site
No to all of your questions, D.

As to the reasons why people do what they do....well....sad to say, but people in general are getting dumber and just find it easier to blame someone/something else for their own stupidity.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums app

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
None of those are Apple's fault. But it's a sign of today's society, which is becoming increasingly litigous. It's always someone else's fault...there's no more self accountability.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
No, and people have been conditioned to blame everyone but themselves via culture-rot.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I saw NO to everything. For the last one, people don't want other people to notice their stupidity. People don't take responsibility for their actions anymore.

Last edited:

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
In todays society, yes it's Apple's fault because no one wants to take responsibility for their actions and everyone is special and perfect just the way they are.....probably because it's a crime to even think about punishing kids these days and "parents" are too lazy to parent and sit their kids in front of the TV, and give then video games and smartphones.

In reality and legality, none of it is Apple's fault and people are upset at themselves for being stupid.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I hate how easy it is to blame a company, another person or just generally anything but themselves.

Had a customer ask me, "Didn't it scare you that a girl accidently sat on her 5c and it kinda exploded?"

I said no, Are you? He says "Yeah of course!".

So I just simply told him that the easiest way to avoid this, it's by not sitting on it.

Take ownage, take responsibility, and realize that there is no one to blame BUT yourself sometimes.

?Sent from a larger than life device. Using Tapatalk?

BBFunGuy

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
This is the most tongue-in-cheek thread ever written about a security issue. It would not have been a problem for me, but there are some that do not secure their phone, and it is still unlikely even to be a problem for them. Some disabled people cannot remember a 4 number pin though, and a lot of devices are sold to them, or delivered to them through government programs, their needs should be catered for.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
This is the most tongue-in-cheek thread ever written about a security issue. It would not have been a problem for me, but there are some that do not secure their phone, and it is still unlikely even to be a problem for them. Some disabled people cannot remember a 4 number pin though, and a lot of devices are sold to them, or delivered to them through government programs, their needs should be catered for.

I didn't know the government could afford to give people $200 iPhones.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
This is the most tongue-in-cheek thread ever written about a security issue.
Okay
It would not have been a problem for me, but there are some that do not secure their phone, and it is still unlikely even to be a problem for them.
True, but they are not the focus of this thread.
Some disabled people cannot remember a 4 number pin though, and a lot of devices are sold to them, or delivered to them through government programs, their needs should be catered for.
There are people who are not disabled that can't remember their 4-digit PIN, still, that is NOT Apple's fault. It doesn't matter how devices are issued to them, the fact still remains that the owners, whether disabled or not, bear a certain amount of responsibility. As for catering to their needs, were their needs not catered to when they received their devices? Is it Apple's responsibility to take care of those people? Heck, is it your responsibility to take care of them? No, it is not. That is what family, close friends and caretakers are for. Other than that, how can their needs be catered to in regard to securing their devices? Must a representative from Apple be present 24/7 to hold, unlock and make calls for them? Heck no!

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Okay True, but they are not the focus of this thread.
There are people who are not disabled that can't remember their 4-digit PIN, still, that is NOT Apple's fault. It doesn't matter how devices are issued to them, the fact still remains that the owners, whether disabled or not, bear a certain amount of responsibility. As for catering to their needs, were their needs not catered to when they received their devices? Is it Apple's responsibility to take care of those people? Heck, is it your responsibility to take care of them? No, it is not. That is what family, close friends and caretakers are for. Other than that, how can their needs be catered to in regard to securing their devices? Must a representative from Apple be present 24/7 to hold, unlock and make calls for them? Heck no!

Well said D.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
1. Is it Apple's fault that you laid your iPhone down in a restaurant unguarded, went to use the restroom, and upon returning, discovered that it had been stolen?

Of course not. You shouldn't do that with any of your property at a restaurant.

2. Is it Apple's fault that you opted to not enable the "Find My iPhone" feature or "Location Services" that could be used to help locate your iPhone?

Not at all. However, it would be nice if Apple sort of manipulated the user into enabling it at the welcome screen. Kind of the way it asks you to set a passcode lock and the option to not enable a passcode lock almost looks like it's not even there so people assume they must enable a passcode lock (as they should).

3. Is it Apple's fault that your girlfriend/boyfriend found out that you were cheating by reading iMessages on your iPhone that you failed to passcode lock?

No. You get exactly what you got coming to you for being that stupid. I know a person who got caught cheating because they didn't have a passcode lock set to their Android phone. Everything eventually shows itself when it comes to stupidity.

4. Is it Apple's fault that the message, "Can I see you tonight?" popped up on the lock screen and was visible by your wife/husband because you failed to go into the settings to disable the "Show on Lock Screen" option?

No. I do think that by default the "Show on Lock Screen" option should be set to off. This goes beyond the realm of people getting caught cheating.

5. Is it Apple's fault that you tried to save a few dollars and purchased a blocked iPhone or one that is protected with an iCloud activation lock from a person with a shady character?

No, you cheapskate. :p

6. Is it Apple's fault that you bought an iPhone from someone in the U.S. at a cheaper price that you cannot activate in your home country?

No, you tightwad. :p

7. Is it Apple's fault that something went wrong when you tried to jailbreak your iPhone, and in the process, caused you to lose all of your precious music, text messages, videos and photos that you never created a backup for?

Nah.

To elaborate on Keith's point; because people are stupid.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site

Of course not. You shouldn't do that with any of your property at a restaurant.

Not at all. However, it would be nice if Apple sort of manipulated the user into enabling it at the welcome screen. Kind of the way it asks you to set a passcode lock and the option to not enable a passcode lock almost looks like it's not even there so people assume they must enable a passcode lock (as they should).

No. You get exactly what you got coming to you for being that stupid. I know a person who got caught cheating because they didn't have a passcode lock set to their Android phone. Everything eventually shows itself when it comes to stupidity.

No. I do think that by default the "Show on Lock Screen" option should be set to off. This goes beyond the realm of people getting caught cheating.

No, you cheapskate. :p

No, you tightwad. :p

Nah.

To elaborate on Keith's point; because people are stupid.

Couldn't agree with you more. Apple even introduced Touch ID and people are still not putting a password on their iPhone 5S'

BBFunGuy

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Okay True, but they are not the focus of this thread.

Sure, but neither the carer nor end-user are responsible for code, so it is not their fault.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Sure, but neither the carer or end-user are responsible for code, so it is not their fault.

Okay, but what does code have to do with the thread topic? Code does not account for user irresponsibility.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR