Why Are Apple Computers So Much More Expensive Than PCs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
In your own opinion even if you don't own an Apple Computer Why do you think the cost of their Desktops and Laptops are so much more expensive and if you do own one please explain why you think they cost so much.

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I can't tell you why they cost as much, but I can assure you I'm more than happy to pay a steeper price for a machine that I can rely on.

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
I've only had one Apple computer, my current 2011 MBP. I feel that the computer is very well built, and knowing that I can take my computer in to the Apple Store should I have any issues. It's this combination that probably contributes to the cost. (I am willing to pay this "extra" expense for a well built, reliable machine and the world class support I will receive should I run into issues.)

gdruin74

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
It is just a different business model. Apple make their money on the hardware. Microsoft makes their money from license fees. Even before mavericks was available for free the cost to upgrade was minimal. You also get the best customer service and product support in the industry. If you do have an issue you can just take it in to the Apple store.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
At one point this was true...the Apple computers held a serious premium that was not matched by the internals. It hasn't been that way for at least 2 generations. Mac's carry a premium because of several reasons: Design, quality parts, Free OS enhancements and I think above all else, the customer service experience that you can only find from Apple.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
At one point this was true...the Apple computers held a serious premium that was not matched by the internals. It hasn't been that way for at least 2 generations. Mac's carry a premium because of several reasons: Design, quality parts, Free OS enhancements and I think above all else, the customer service experience that you can only find from Apple.
A good point by many before your post Sean but let me ask for sake of continued conversation for real. If taking a look at your statement:
Mac's carry a premium because of several reasons: Design, quality parts, Free OS enhancements and I think above all else, the customer service experience that you can only find from Apple.
There is no doubt in my mind about the last part of your sentence but do you think the failure rate of internal parts can justify cost vs cost from the PC vs MAC and especially do you play that heavy into design or design such as the pad of a laptop or wireless mouse, and other items that Apple puts out to go with these computers? To me CS is a given and always will be, I don't know it justifies that much difference in cost but it plays pretty heavy to me in making up my mind. That you for the thought Sean.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I think the design easily plays a part in anyone's consideration of Apple products across the spectrum...I won't lie when I tell you that my first Macbook way back when was purchased in part due to the fact that it was appealing to the eye in a design sense. I spent extra on the black model when the only difference was the hard drive and a negligibly faster processor...I spent extra because I wanted the black one. If the Macbook Pro's were available in the standard aluminum or white/black, and there was a premium price on the aluminum model, I would certainly pay it (as long as it wasn't absurdly different).

As far as the customer service being a legitimate reasoning for the premium...I don't see why it shouldn't be considered. I can tell you, without hesitation or question, that if a service was available in Atlanta for internet provider comparable to Comcast, but slightly more expensive because the customer service was vastly better, that I would switch right this second to the more expensive service. After purchase service, in my opinion, should be one of the primary focuses of consumer product companies...Apple just happens to offer (in my opinion) THE best service on the market.

I mean you take a Macbook Pro that is out of warranty, and you stand a very good chance of getting free or heavily discounted service on it if something abnormal goes wrong and is not the fault of the user. When that customer leaves with that positive experience, the next time they're ready to buy a computer, don't you think there is a VERY high likelihood that they're going to reference that situation and go "I'd pay $200 more with the idea that THAT level of service will continue to follow my Apple products."

To me, there's no question it factors into the premium...

EauRouge

Trusted Member
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
IMO, and why I have a MBP, is that the OS is just better designed for laptop multitasking. As far as desktops go, I feel that the premium isn't worth it. I have a stellar Windows desktop with specs outpacing a Mac desktop, at a lower price. BUT I am 100% ready to pay more for a laptop. Thats just how I use technology in my life

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
The weird thing is, I hear a lot of Mac users state that they like macs more because there PC they had before was do unstable, but I honestly can't recall the PC desktop I use ever crashing or whatever. I had virus problems , sure, but those were mostly from my family members not practicing common sense when web browsing I think. But the thing never locked up on me or crapped the bed. So I'm curious why everyone says PCs are just less stable.

I should note I've never owned a Mac, my apple products are iOS devices. But I don't know how my experience would be instantly improved using one.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I think it's the combination of everything, the unibody design, the software, the way it all runs seamlessly, the brand, it all had a part to play.

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
When I was looking to pickup a new notebook this past summer, I had it narrowed down to a couple of the Asus and Sony ultrabooks, and the MacBook Air, which were all fairly equivalent. To my surprise, I found the pricing between them all to be quite comparable (I ended up with MBA). When you look it all the offerings available, the price of entry for a Windows PC is indeed less than a Mac by virtue of there being many more configurations available, especially at the low end where Apple doesn't really have a presence. Yes, you can get a $300 Windows notebook, but do you really want an Intel Celeron processor?

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
When I was looking to pickup a new notebook this past summer, I had it narrowed down to a couple of the Asus and Sony ultrabooks, and the MacBook Air, which were all fairly equivalent. To my surprise, I found the pricing between them all to be quite comparable (I ended up with MBA). When you look it all the offerings available, the price of entry for a Windows PC is indeed less than a Mac by virtue of there being many more configurations available, especially at the low end where Apple doesn't really have a presence. Yes, you can get a $300 Windows notebook, but do you really want an Intel Celeron processor?

That's a good observation , it seems Apple have a good knack for choosing really good top of the line components for their products.

BBFunGuy

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
From my pespective there was a time when Apple's products had premium parts, like the IBM PowerPC. A sweet processor is just the kind of thing that would get me to buy Apple kit, but since they now produce PCs with virtually the same processors I can throw in an Intel board, which are extremely similar to AMD solutions also, I would be curious as to what components you refer. Do you believe that Apple use particularly good capacitors? Please explain.

machzk

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
As someone mentioned. An equivalent PC costs the same as a Mac. The same for iPhones and iPads. Apple has the reputation for being expensive, but other manufactures also have expensive products. They also have cheaper built and sold devices, and that is what Apple doesn?t have.

projectman

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I have never owned a Mac (I am an iOS user) but I have been told that while cheaper PCs don't come with a bunch of apps installed, Macs come with more of them installed. If there is any truth to that then by the time one is done buying the cheaper PC option and acquiring the apps needed the price differential narrows somewhat. Any truth to that?

thatotherdude24

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
An equivalent quality Windows PC will cost nearly the same.

I do disagree with you on this one. [URL="https://forums.imore.com/e?link=https%3A%2F%2Fbestbuy.7tiv.net%2Fc%2F221109%2F615614%2F10014%3FsubId1%3DUUimUvbUpU2221867%26subId2%3Dvbim%26u%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.bestbuy.com%252Fsite%252Fideapad-u430-touch-ultrabook-14-touch-screen-laptop-8gb-memory-500gb-hard-drive%252F3292119.p%253Bjsessionid%253DF32BEEB744023A226BFB90FE01BA652D.bbolsp-app02-114%253Fid%253D1219090033082%2526skuId%253D3292119%2526st%253Dlenovo%252Bu430%2526cp%253D1%2526lp%253D2%252522&token=tlyqb_k_]Lenovo U430[/URL]

I do agree with many others on here are saying being able to go to any Apple store and having your problem fixed is worth it. I too would pay extra to have this convenience but I'm not sure it's worth hundreds of dollars more.

thatotherdude24

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
It is just a different business model. Apple make their money on the hardware. Microsoft makes their money from license fees. Even before mavericks was available for free the cost to upgrade was minimal. You also get the best customer service and product support in the industry. If you do have an issue you can just take it in to the Apple store.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

I think this is one of the best explanations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711