Why Are Apple Computers So Much More Expensive Than PCs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I think the design easily plays a part in anyone's consideration of Apple products across the spectrum...I won't lie when I tell you that my first Macbook way back when was purchased in part due to the fact that it was appealing to the eye in a design sense. I spent extra on the black model when the only difference was the hard drive and a negligibly faster processor...I spent extra because I wanted the black one. If the Macbook Pro's were available in the standard aluminum or white/black, and there was a premium price on the aluminum model, I would certainly pay it (as long as it wasn't absurdly different).

As far as the customer service being a legitimate reasoning for the premium...I don't see why it shouldn't be considered. I can tell you, without hesitation or question, that if a service was available in Atlanta for internet provider comparable to Comcast, but slightly more expensive because the customer service was vastly better, that I would switch right this second to the more expensive service. After purchase service, in my opinion, should be one of the primary focuses of consumer product companies...Apple just happens to offer (in my opinion) THE best service on the market.

I mean you take a Macbook Pro that is out of warranty, and you stand a very good chance of getting free or heavily discounted service on it if something abnormal goes wrong and is not the fault of the user. When that customer leaves with that positive experience, the next time they're ready to buy a computer, don't you think there is a VERY high likelihood that they're going to reference that situation and go "I'd pay $200 more with the idea that THAT level of service will continue to follow my Apple products."

To me, there's no question it factors into the premium...
You do know of course I am not in disagreement with you, actually because I am not a MAC owner and most of your explanations are on point I come back to you. I agree 100% and I am sure I eluded to it that Apple's CS w/o a doubt plays a factor and I would not own what I do if not for that. Good explanation and further communication and as always thank you for your point of view.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
In your own opinion even if you don't own an Apple Computer Why do you think the cost of their Desktops and Laptops are so much more expensive and if you do own one please explain why you think they cost so much.

All their parts are top end. Build out a custom PC with the same parts and the prices aren't much different.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I can't tell you why they cost as much, but I can assure you I'm more than happy to pay a steeper price for a machine that I can rely on.

This is my #1 reason. It's not just the great hardware, it's the support that comes with it. It's basically the same argument I make for iOS devices. The stuff just works. I've never been happier with a laptop purchase than I have been for a month since buying a MBPr. More-so because I know that if something doesn't go right, I don't have to worry about waiting on the phone for a half hour just to speak to someone about it. Heck, I can go see someone face-to-face who is specifically trained to deal with the problems of it.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The weird thing is, I hear a lot of Mac users state that they like macs more because there PC they had before was do unstable, but I honestly can't recall the PC desktop I use ever crashing or whatever. I had virus problems , sure, but those were mostly from my family members not practicing common sense when web browsing I think. But the thing never locked up on me or crapped the bed. So I'm curious why everyone says PCs are just less stable.

I should note I've never owned a Mac, my apple products are iOS devices. But I don't know how my experience would be instantly improved using one.

I haven't owned a Windows based PC in a very long time (pre-2006), so I'm sure the companies have made huge leaps and bounds in quality improvement...that said, I owned a slew of windows based laptops before getting my first Macbook...everything from a $1,200 Toshiba Satellite to a couple of Sony VAIO's and even a custom built alien ware machine that was close to $2,000 back in 2004 (which I think was essentially just a hopped up Dell, but I don't remember for certain). ALL of them had a major failure of some sort...harddrive failure, motherboard failure, various internal pieces failing (fans, screen, etc)...I've owned more Windows based machines in my life than Macs, and I've had WAY more problems with them.

Has my Mac experience been flawless? Nope. But nothing compared to my previous experiences, and certainly met with a world better customer service to take care of the issues.

gdruin74

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
To me the biggest thing is the customer service. If I have a problem I can go to my local Apple store and speak with someone that knows what they are doing. I don't have to call a customer service number just to be told to reboot by someone that I can't understand.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

shief24

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
They're expensive because we will pay a premium. They charge us because they can get away with it and also because of the quality.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
They're expensive because we will pay a premium. They charge us because they can get away with it and also because of the quality.
There was a time when customers understood that with patience and unity, they could dictate prices. :)

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I love the quality and integration of Apple computers. There's a premium to be payed but IMO it's worth it.

Sent from my MF003LL/A 🔘

GlennRuss

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
When my Dell finally got too old, and I needed another computer, I got the mid 2012 MacBook Pro. It does what I want, and is fast as the day I bought it. I have no problems with it. It it actually more powerful than the Dell desktop. The learning curve was very easy to switch from windows. I guess you get what you pay for is true. It is worth the price.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
One thing about Laptops is that they last a good long time too, definitely longer than how long a Smartphone might be used by someone. This gives more time to enjoy a higher priced purchase than anything else.

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
One thing about Laptops is that they last a good long time too, definitely longer than how long a Smartphone might be used by someone. This gives more time to enjoy a higher priced purchase than anything else.

Very very true indeed.

Sent from my ME308LL/A ⚫

DanielSwanborough

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Apple builds devices with high quality materials and hardware, a lot of Windows computers are made of cheap plastic, that are unreliable and break down over time. Apple products do not tend to have this same problem

BBFunGuy

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
All plastic, breaks down over time, even( or may be even especially, perhaps there should be research done, time enought to post, time enough to learn) the i5c. A lot of Windows computers are not made out of plastic, as they are typically metal based. Please do not make iMore a hub of misinformation.

DanielSwanborough

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
All plastic, breaks down over time, even( or may be even especially, perhaps there should be research done, time enought to post, time enough to learn) the i5c. A lot of Windows computers are not made out of plastic, as they are typically metal based. Please do not make iMore a hub of misinformation.

Sorry, I didn't mean to give inaccurate information, I was more referring to laptops in the past, as I have an old windows laptop that appears plastic based.

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I don't think it is inaccurate to say that most Windows laptops sold today have plastic chassis' and not a chassis made from aluminum or magnesium (or some other desirable metal). However, like Macbooks, metal chassised Windows laptops tend to cost more, you have to pay to play.

Sent from my LG-V5OO (my other tablets are iPads) 📱

DanielSwanborough

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I don't think it is inaccurate to say that most Windows laptops sold today have plastic chassis' and not a chassis made from aluminum or magnesium (or some other desirable metal). However, like Macbooks, metal chassised Windows laptops tend to cost more, you have to pay to play.

Sent from my LG-V5OO (my other tablets are iPads) 📱

Thanks! I didn't think I was completely wrong!

BBFunGuy

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
You just generalised, but why is i5c expensive then? Can you see the point you have made about plastic is invalidated by that, even discounting than you meant laptops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR