Do Apple users find google "creepy"?

phonejunky

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
Creepy of course not. How would this subject even come up. People use Google because it's in everything you do from search to maps. Google powers a lot of things concerning the internet.

johnny football hero

Nov 7, 2008
Visit site
Has anyone seen the Terminator films? Google and IBM's supercomputer Watson will become SkyNet. A learning computer (Watson) that is tied into everything (Google) becomes fully self-aware (SkyNet). The controversial use of drones today is realized in the Terminator film with the use of HK-Drone. Google has purchased Boston Dynamics (CyberDyne Systems) who has produced the most humanlike robot called "Petman" (Terminator).

Yes. Google is creepy. hahahaha

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Let's take android out of the equation for a second and discuss google as a company. Chances are many apple users are also google users. Chances are you use google search, google maps, drive, gmail, google plus, or whatever. So , do we find that google, the company, is "creepy"?

I'm quoting creepy because I've noticed this word being tied with google and it's being used to describe the company by people like Jim dalrimple and some others. (Honestly, I'm beginning to find him more and more hard to listen to lately , but this in particular irks me)

Why would we consider google creepy? As far as I can tell, there entire business model is to collect and a frigate the entire worlds knowledge and make it accessible to all. The company has done great things for the world, just as apple has and other company's have. They give us maps, all the knowledge we could ever want or need in google search , global information with google earth, storage of our thing with g drive, and probably the best email service out there. Far as I can tell, it's a company who's existence and creation is to improve our lives.

But people get all spooked when *gasp* they serve ads because they, as a company , need money to continue to function. And they do the smart thing and use the data they collect to offer ads for items we may actually use or want given our past searches. I'd rather have that then the grab bag we get with other advertisements on other websites.

Yes , I fully recognize that google having that much knowledge and info is spooky, but they have done nothing to indicate they will abuse that power. And I think people are just being paranoid.

Anyway , rant done. I'm very curious what other apple users think of google the company.

I'm curious. Do you approve of the NSA program that was a tad bit controversial?

As the NSA acquired information from corporations, including both Google and Apple, it's interesting to me that some are alright with Google but are upset with the NSA. After all, people willingly give away the information so that Google can monetize your information. If the NSA's actions are "creepy," wouldn't monetizing your information be just as creepy? If Google isn't creepy, why would anyone worry about the NSA?

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm curious. Do you approve of the NSA program that was a tad bit controversial?

As the NSA acquired information from corporations, including both Google and Apple, it's interesting to me that some are alright with Google but are upset with the NSA. After all, people willingly give away the information so that Google can monetize your information. If the NSA's actions are "creepy," wouldn't monetizing your information be just as creepy? If Google isn't creepy, why would anyone worry about the NSA?

Google dosent have governmental power and authority. It's apples and oranges.

phonejunky

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
Says who? Far as I heard the NSA got info from Google without their consent by doing a back door tap.

I mean you can believe that if you want. Google is a business they have to protect themselves from losing business and there image being all free and open. Google helps the NSA that's a fact.

koerk

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone seen the Terminator films? Google and IBM's supercomputer Watson will become SkyNet. A learning computer (Watson) that is tied into everything (Google) becomes fully self-aware (SkyNet). The controversial use of drones today is realized in the Terminator film with the use of HK-Drone. Google has purchased Boston Dynamics (CyberDyne Systems) who has produced the most humanlike robot called "Petman" (Terminator).

Yes. Google is creepy. hahahaha

Not as far fetched as we might think :-/

Gesendet von meinem iPad mit Tapatalk

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
If Google isn't creepy, why would anyone worry about the NSA?

It's specific to the type of information that is available to Google at a whim vs. the NSA. There's simply no comparison there...Google, while quite far reaching, is not getting to the level of information that the NSA is privy to if they want to be. Google primarily focuses on advertising and money...if they're making a dime, that is where their focus is. NSA is focused on the entire SPECTRUM of information that you have ever put online, and that is creepy as hell. We're not talking your purchase trends online...we're talking every little detail of information you've ever shared, applied for, uploaded, downloaded, commented on, etc...your entire e-life. It's accumulated to an absolutely ridiculous point...and used in whatever fashion they see fit.

Imagine it kind of like this...think of a person who knows you the best and has known you that way the longest. The details they can recall, the traits they know you have and the history that person can recall about you. Now think about a co-worker or neighbor that has met you a few times and might see you a couple of times per week. The first person is not even on the level of the NSA...the second person is Google.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I mean you can believe that if you want. Google is a business they have to protect themselves from losing business and there image being all free and open. Google helps the NSA that's a fact.

They are protecting their own business, but our information and what they do with it is another matter altogether...I don't actually like analytics and I don't like that Google knows more about me than my relatives know sometimes.

But they run a good search engine and services and I will keep using them.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I find it just about equally creepy and cool. It's really cool when I am looking at a location on maps to get a general idea of where I'm going. Then when I get in my car and pull up maps on my phone that location is instantly there and I don't have to search again. It felt it was a little creepy a few months ago. A friend was coming to visit and had emailed me his flight info several weeks ahead of time. As I was leaving for the airport to pick him up Google Now was displaying his flight information, kind of creepy...but at the same time...pretty cool.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site

Saying that something is a 'fact' means that you have a source to actually back that up. I can say 'the sky is green, and that's a fact', but that doesn't actually make it a fact.

So, do you have a source factually proving that Google is actively helping the NSA, or is this 'fact' just speculation?

Amamba

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site

My two cents...

1) Governments should be held to the higher standards than corporations, corporations don't have a standing army, police, and prosecutorial powers, and generally don't want to dictate how you live your life, they just want your money, preferably all of it ;)

2) I do find Google data collecting overreaching.

3) From what I understand, MS and Apple are equally guilty of browsing through user files on OneDrive and iCloud and taking action when they think they found questionable content, there was a story about a person having his MS account suspended because of something he had in a private directory not shared with anyone. I read that Apple monitors files on iCloud as well.

4) NSA spying is out of control, however that's just the tip of the iceberg. China has been spying on a scale that makes NSA look like a bunch of preschoolers, and they started far before 911. Other countries / govts / corporations are complicit as well, we just don't understand the full extent. Do you really know what hidden firmware code may exist in every single piece of hardware assembled in China from components produced God knows where that route your data from your home to servers ? Do you think Brits were paranoid when they blocked Huaiwei from a major telecom contract ? How about your Lenovo notebook ? Or your Linux system full of code contributed by independent developers sitting all over the world ?

You may have some level of protection on your personal computer, at least from a common criminal. You have zero level of protection exchanging data on the net. Use SSL and encrypt all important info on your system, and assume everything else will be seen by someone.

And to add...

Do you realize that your cell phone provides your accurate location to the system at all times (assuming you have it with you). So anyone with access to your cell phone company's servers will know where you were at any given time.

Did you hear about the new developments in crime fighting ? A drone or helo is hovering above a large area taking hi res photos every xx seconds, for the entire day, every day. So if there's a crime, all they need to do is trace the perpetrators back to wherever they came from. Now think what kind of power having 30 years of that data will provide - your every step outside of your house, your entire life can be retraced.

We live in a wholly different world, it's not just about Google or NSA, this needs to be dealt with on constitutional level.

Last edited:

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Honestly the internet has never been "private". Firstly google isn't "getting" creepy they have always been able to know what you search, where you search from, how long you spend on websites and so on and so forth. The reason why isn't to be invading you privacy, but to cover their own a** should anything become illegal or whatever the case may be. There is a large database of things that people can search on google and let's face it some people use it for the wrong things, it protects themselves against those people. As for adding the features of google now they just are using a tactic they have had the whole time and letting the user feel like it's a perk

Sent from my iPhone 5s

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
The Government already has all of your information anyway. Your social security number, bank info, etc. Other countries having that info is a whole other story.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Why we're you thinking of switching to Microsoft? Are there services even as good as googles?

Its my choice. I can still use Google's services if I want to. I only use Hangouts, email, Google Play, and Google Drive. I can make a hangouts account using a non Google account. I will use Outlook for email and Office online as a replacement for drive.

Totalimmortal363

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I do to be honest. I just moved into a home in Denver and I really want a Nest thermostat, but I'm wrestling with Google owning them. Regardless of what's on the Nest site, Google has a bad track record on dishonest data collection practices.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox