Does outlook work well with iOS and Mac?

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm gonna just stick with gmail as my primary I think. I already have some labels going with it , and I'm already using google calendar.

I'll keep the outlook account though as a secondary. I still like it.

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
So I figured out what was wrong. I totally forgot that Google does this weird application specific password thing when you have two factor authentication on. So I had to use that generated password instead of my regular google password.

Haha good stuff. I was typing up a post a d those were my last words, explaining that you need an app specific password, if you use two factor authentication. Be mindful that the same applies for OSX. After that every will work fine, and you keep your mail, contacts and calendar in the same place.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm thinking of using outlook in addition to using microsofts other services as well like one drive. But does using Microsoft services( including word and etc) work well on apple hardware ? Just seems weird using Microsoft stuff on apple hardware. Because I do like microsofts services, just not the hardware outside of windows on a PC. In other words, don't want a surface, ha ha.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking of using outlook in addition to using microsofts other services as well like one drive. But does using Microsoft services( including word and etc) work well on apple hardware ? Just seems weird using Microsoft stuff on apple hardware. Because I do like microsofts services, just not the hardware outside of windows on a PC. In other words, don't want a surface, ha ha.

The OneDrive app works well on the iPhone and Microsoft Office worked well on my MacBook when I had it installed, but I opted to go the route of iWorks because it was an Apple product and I've just stuck with it.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
The OneDrive app works well on the iPhone and Microsoft Office worked well on my MacBook when I had it installed, but I opted to go the route of iWorks because it was an Apple product and I've just stuck with it.

My only thing is that the Microsoft stuff is at least third party compatible. While I like apple hardware, I'm trying to use more services that are accessible in other devices and OS's. Especially since I'm still in school.

So that's why I was concerned that if I did tie my boat to Microsoft if it'll still be good to use on things that are not PC's

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
My only thing is that the Microsoft stuff is at least third party compatible. While I like apple hardware, I'm trying to use more services that are accessible in other devices and OS's. Especially since I'm still in school.

So that's why I was concerned that if I did tie my boat to Microsoft if it'll still be good to use on things that are not PC's

The good thing about apps like Word, PowerPoint and Excel is the fact that similar products from other companies all have an "export as" feature. Furthermore, apps like Pages, Numbers, etc., can auto-detect other formats and import them.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
The good thing about apps like Word, PowerPoint and Excel is the fact that similar products from other companies all have an "export as" feature. Furthermore, apps like Pages, Numbers, etc., can auto-detect other formats and import them.

Can that work vice versa , though?

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
for some reason I have this weird fear that if I start using a ton of Microsoft services (Outlook.com, OneDrive,Bing,Calendar,and whatever)that itll mean I wont be able to continue using apple hardware over windows hardware because of the integration. obviously the integration will probably be better on surface, windows phone, and PC, but really the only one out of those three, at this point in time, that id want to use is a PC. surface isn't as good as ipad, and Windows phone isn't as good as iphone. but due to weird ecosystem lock in, maybe I wouldn't have a choice but to use those devices if I invest heavily in MS services.

is this fear unfounded? would I still be able to happily go about using apple hardware if I did start using MS services a lot?

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Yes. It is unfounded.
I think you're irrationally afraid of being locked in to anything. Use what meets your needs at the moment and stop worrying about it.

Yeah, maybe it just felt weird using MS services on macs and/or iOS devices.

It's just people talk about how much value you get from using the email and all other services to tie with the other services like calendar , web, storage and etc. and I wasn't sure if that would promote mix and matching between google and MS. Like using google for search and calendar and MS for email and cloud storage.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I understood it as using the native mail app to access the Outlook.com account. That's what I do and it works great.

Yeah.

I think the only services I'd wantvto use is outlook , one drive, calendar, and word. I don't really do power points or spread sheets. If I need to do a budget or similar spreadsheet , I'd think google sheets would be good enough.

As I said before, I just was uneasy if they worked well on iOS and Mac OS (if I do decide to get a Mac over a PC laptop , which I haven't decided on yet.

93Aero

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I still can't receive mail through outlook on my mac. I can send but not receive.
I've scoured the Web and haven't found a fix.
I've played with all the port settings and imap stmp settings.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums Mobile App!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR