How much storage does your OS actually use?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Here's a pretty nice visual of what our OS's use and how the iPhone compares to other devices on the market. Really sucks for those Galaxy S users...

BJY6UUk.jpg

Last edited:

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Samsung really is bloated, what could they possibly put on there that takes up 4GB?

Samsung's touchwiz is a heavy skin. As you can see on the nexus 5, pure android is 2nd to the iPhone 5c and before the 5s, so android stock by itself is low but decent and straight to the point; if you put a overlay like what they have with touchwiz this happens. I won't say the same thing for HTC with the HTC One because they did a wonderful job with sense 5, it compares to iOS and runs flawlessly; you wouldn't even know it's an overlay. With all the things Samsung offers with their phone (hand gestures, etc) this is to be expected because they've yet to master how to have it run flawlessly, let alone worry about storage; that's why they throw SDHD cards at you.

Sent from my [Gold] iPhone 5s

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I was thinking that but still my mind is blown that they waste 4GB on mindless features. I wish they had compared the Moto X.

Beamed via my Moto X from the iMore Android app.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
iPhone 5C and 5S have no expandable memory, so in fact they feel the brunt of a lack of memory more than the Galaxy S4, technically speaking.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
iPhone 5C and 5S have no expandable memory, so in fact they feel the brunt of a lack of memory more than the Galaxy S4, technically speaking.

That's my only major issue with owning an iPhone. I've got my Note 3 as my primary because it's got 32gb of onboard but I've got a 64gb memory card. It's not noticeable when the OS takes up more room internally because all of my media is stored externally via card.

That and I like touchwiz. If the phone has at least 2gb of RAM, you'll never witness lag. It's actually quite useful once you make full use of it. =)

However, for calls and one handed use, my 5c is perfect too.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
That's my only major issue with owning an iPhone. I've got my Note 3 as my primary because it's got 32gb of onboard but I've got a 64gb memory card. It's not noticeable when the OS takes up more room internally because all of my media is stored externally via card.

That and I like touchwiz. If the phone has at least 2gb of RAM, you'll never witness lag. It's actually quite useful once you make full use of it. =)

And you know, you could even move all your apps to the SD card if you want..

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
And you know, you could even move all your apps to the SD card if you want..

Nope, not with the latest android versions. SD cards can only be used for music, videos, & pictures, apps can't be stored on the SD card due to performance reasons.

Sent from my 5th gen iPod touch or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

anon(8221395)

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

Do you notice lag when access photos or whatever else from your expandable memory on your note or is it seamless? Just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

anon(8221395)

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I wonder what is on the 5s that takes up more storage that is not on the 5c. Software code for Touch ID?

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Do you notice lag when access photos or whatever else from your expandable memory on your note or is it seamless? Just curious.

For me it's seamless. The phone flows quite nicely. I have no issues with backing into and out of folders. It's just as fast as my iPhone. My only qualm is that the radio isn't as reinforced as it is on the iPhone so I get call quality issues. I also look ridiculous holding it up to my ear....

umahe6e6.jpg

mehu6amu.jpg

eqy3uma8.jpg

bahu3asa.jpg

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Nope, not with the latest android versions. SD cards can only be used for music, videos, & pictures, apps can't be stored on the SD card due to performance reasons.

2e7y5epa.jpg

I can move my apps to SD card on my Galaxy S4. No issues.

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I wonder if they did those comparisons with unlocked phones or carrier phones. I love my Note 3 but man between Samsung and Verizon there is so much useless stuff on there I will never use.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Even though it's a 16 GB phones here they really don't have 16 GB of storage it's more like 15.x of total storage. The OS then takes up part of it then whatever is left is "user available" storage. My 64 GB 5S has a total of 59.7 GB of storage but after the OS gets installed there is only 56.7 GB of user storage available. My 32 GB 4S has a total of 29.81 GB of storage, after installing iOS 7 it had 27.98 GB of user storage.

pgg101

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
My BlackBerry Z30 and most other devices listed here have SD cards to expand memory. My SD card holds all my videos ans pictures which all gets uploaded to my laptop and cloud storage. Not really a huge issue. I have over 9gb left on my device and I have all the apps I use on a daily basis.

Posted via the Android iMore App! on BlackBerry Z30

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro