I want to keep using ios, but fear lock in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't fear lock in because at the end of the day its a luxury. If I lose anything I buy and I feel like I needed it, I'll just buy it again. No big deal for me....and yes I have a huge collection of movies, books and music in iTunes & in Amazon. Its material stuff, I won't die if I lose it!

Fit24

Trusted Member
Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't worry about being locked in. I buy and use whatever I feel is convenient and a good value for me. If I decide to change or go in a different direction, I'll adjust like I've always done. 😊

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I only purchase music off of iTunes and movies/shows are blu rays, so lock in is not a worry for me. Honestly unless your someone who prefers to be on one platform only theb you could always have the best of both worlds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're locked in as well. That bluray is 1080p. In a few years that will be old news as new standards take hold. 4k is already emerging. In a decade, you'll look at those blurays like we currently look at vhs tapes. Relics.

When it comes to video, you're buying for a short useful life. Paying 20 dollars a movie is nuts unless you plan on watching it over and over the next 5 years (like a kids movie). Rent or stream. If itunes didn't sort by resolution, I'd be more interested. The only movies I bought were very long ago and they're not the HD versions (I'm not rebuying HD versions). If I had the choice of which resolution movie to stream or download that I purchased, it'd be more future proof.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
You're locked in as well. That bluray is 1080p. In a few years that will be old news as new standards take hold. 4k is already emerging. In a decade, you'll look at those blurays like we currently look at vhs tapes. Relics.

When it comes to video, you're buying for a short useful life. Paying 20 dollars a movie is nuts unless you plan on watching it over and over the next 5 years (like a kids movie). Rent or stream. If itunes didn't sort by resolution, I'd be more interested. The only movies I bought were very long ago and they're not the HD versions (I'm not rebuying HD versions). If I had the choice of which resolution movie to stream or download that I purchased, it'd be more future proof.

Interesting you say this, when people still buy vinyl records, old video games and vintage comic books in this day and age...

The point you are making is that they have a short useful life, I have a heartfelt argument that the useful life of these things can be longer than you think they are. I still use my old records and listen to them on a daily basis. CDs have been around for a good long time but vinyl records are still a choice for many collectors.

Blu Ray collectors will still create demand, long after 4K has been around, I'm pretty sure.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
So, your saying I should blindly love everything about the phone? Why? You can like something and still be critical of it, anything less is just fanboy dillusion. Do I hate ios and iPhone or Apple?, no of course not. But I can be critical of their faults and the things they don't do well.

It's not trolling , it's being critical . And honestly you two seem to be the only ones that have a issue with it . Don't like it? Then don't reply. Simple. It's not like your contributing anything to the topic anyway.

What topic is there to contribute to here? All I see is a person who regularly complains or "waffles" (as it was put earlier) about Apple products...in fact, if we go back through your history of posts, I'd be willing to say MOST of your posts are of this nature. Want a contribution to this specific discussion? Here you go...I find your comments ridiculous and the idea of being "locked in" to the iPhone is hilarious and greatly misinformed.

And I don't think anyone in any post said you should blindly follow any device or product or ANYTHING in life for that matter. That was your ridiculous deduction because you don't want to admit what your agenda here really is. Sure you can be critical of whatever you like! I'm critical of many things here on this website...I thought the Apple TV device was a piece of junk (for my uses), but you know what's different in that? I didn't sign up on this forum to simply point out faults and share critical opinion...something which defines a forum troll.

If you consider anything less than what you've displayed on this forum "Fanboy Dillusion" (it's delusion, btw), then you obviously have a very skewed understanding of basic forum etiquette.

Don't like it my observation? Then ignore me. Simple. (see how that works both ways bud?)

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
What topic is there to contribute to here? All I see is a person who regularly complains or "waffles" (as it was put earlier) about Apple products...in fact, if we go back through your history of posts, I'd be willing to say MOST of your posts are of this nature. Want a contribution to this specific discussion? Here you go...I find your comments ridiculous and the idea of being "locked in" to the iPhone is hilarious and greatly misinformed.

And I don't think anyone in any post said you should blindly follow any device or product or ANYTHING in life for that matter. That was your ridiculous deduction because you don't want to admit what your agenda here really is. Sure you can be critical of whatever you like! I'm critical of many things here on this website...I thought the Apple TV device was a piece of junk (for my uses), but you know what's different in that? I didn't sign up on this forum to simply point out faults and share critical opinion...something which defines a forum troll.

If you consider anything less than what you've displayed on this forum "Fanboy Dillusion" (it's delusion, btw), then you obviously have a very skewed understanding of basic forum etiquette.

Don't like it my observation? Then ignore me. Simple. (see how that works both ways bud?)

For what it's worth, I felt Ravensword had a valid point, the whole point of buying into the Apple ecosystem is far more pronounced than it is for other phones which could care less what content you put on them.

You want examples, try loading your self ripped TV series episodes on your iPhone and getting them to play successfully (without a use of a third party application) , it is a pain in the **** and I can attest to that as a user of an iPhone for many years.

I think he has a valid point, and that was a tad too harsh.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
This was not a response based on a singular thread...it was just a response culminating in this thread reflective if his entire tone here since coming to iMore.

As far as playing a self ripped TV series...why wouldn't I want to use the ease of a third party app? Why would I want to make it hard on myself when Apple's own app store makes the function easy?

Ravensword has made his entire existence here one big criticism, all things considered. I find it silly honestly.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
For what it's worth, I felt Ravensword had a valid point, the whole point of buying into the Apple ecosystem is far more pronounced than it is for other phones which could care less what content you put on them.

You want examples, try loading your self ripped TV series episodes on your iPhone and getting them to play successfully (without a use of a third party application) , it is a pain in the **** and I can attest to that as a user of an iPhone for many years.

I think he has a valid point, and that was a tad too harsh.

When you mention third party application do you mean the application to rip or an application to play?

I rip using handbrake and that's it. I drop them into iTunes and sync.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
When you mention third party application do you mean the application to rip or an application to play?

I rip using handbrake and that's it. I drop them into iTunes and sync.

That's right. Ha.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Well, okay, iEd was right...

For an Android device you also need an app like Handbrake to rip the video from the discs, but my point (and probably not explained really well) was that for the video files to load and playback properly on the iPhone you need to rip the files to fit the iPhone format (dimensions) whereas you could just place video files of all types and sizes on Android and they would work right off the bat.

But that was based off past knowledge, has that changed any?

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Granted, this really shows nothing about lock in for the iPhone, just a rudimentary requirement that Android doesn't have baked in there.

As for videos/music/books/whatever downloaded from any platform's video/app/book/music store, I think DRM exists in every single one of those stores, so in fact, every platform has 'lock in'....

So there you go...

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Well, okay, iEd was right...

For an Android device you also need an app like Handbrake to rip the video from the discs, but my point (and probably not explained really well) was that for the video files to load and playback properly on the iPhone you need to rip the files to fit the iPhone format (dimensions) whereas you could just place video files of all types and sizes on Android and they would work right off the bat.

But that was based off past knowledge, has that changed any?

Whenever I rip using handbrake. I've never set it for iPhone or iPad format. Just mp4. It plays fine on my iPhone.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site

I think you are reading far to much into my posts, homie. Frankly, I don't care. I just want you and Faust to stop trolling my threads.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
There's an easy way to make this happen...stop creating threads (and really, posting in general).

Or you should grow up and quit being a pest. I can post whatever the hell I want, and frankly I wonder who in the hell you think you are ?

I'm amazed you haven't been moded yet. Heck, maybe you have.

But your just a troll, and this conversation is over.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I think you are reading far to much into my posts, homie. Frankly, I don't care. I just want you and Faust to stop trolling my threads.

Trolling? Really? There's a fix for that. IGNORE us. You'll never see our posts again. Unless you change sides/opinion on that subject, too.

Sent from a galaxy far, far away via Tapatalk.

Les74

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Trolling? Really? There's a fix for that. IGNORE us. You'll never see our posts again. Unless you change sides/opinion on that subject, too.

Sent from a galaxy far, far away via Tapatalk.

L
O
L

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member