5S or Samsung S5

diakiw

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
My iPhone 4 is coming to the end of its useful life (home button failing) and I'm wanting to pass it on to my kids while it still works.
Contract with Rogers is up in April.
Question is this: Do I upgrade to the 5S or grab the Samsung S5 when it comes out in April.

I've been a long-time fan of Apple (although a little disheartened with the iPhone 5 series).
I'd like a bigger screen and am toying with jumping over to Samsung.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Well first I would go try out the 5s and see if it meets your needs the i4 was a decent phone but doesn't compare to the i5s I found the small increase in screen size goes a long way but in the end it's your decision we can't make that for you

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
It depends what your needs are. Take a look at the 5S, then check out the S5 this Spring. Decide which one meets your needs and works best for you. Good luck. :)

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Well as a big fan of both Android and iOS I can tell you that you prolly won't want for apps. However, I find the quality of iOS apps still notably superior. There's also the increased iOS accessory ecosystem compared to Android, however, there's usually plenty of support for Samsung and will undoubtedly be for the S5 when it drops. The increased screen size WILL be though. You'll notice it when using the keyboard especially. If you are the type that gets bored and likes to tweak then you can't beat android. I switch back and forth between iOS and Android and love the build quality and compactness of the iPhone yet getting re-accustomed to the smaller screen (and keyboard) takes a little time.

You won't really know until you see what the S5 has to offer but I highly highly highly recommend the LG G2. That is a FANTASTIC phone!

That said I love the 2 32GB iPhones I just got myself.

Sent from the platinum iPhone 5s

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I honestly don't know much about the S4. I would suggest doing research on the both and take it from there. Everyone will having varying opinions on this matter. You may want to try the Android OS. I did and felt it wasn't for me. Someone will chime in that has/had both phones

Last edited:

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Well as a big fan of both Android and iOS I can tell you that you prolly won't want for apps. However, I find the quality of iOS apps still notably superior. There's also the increased iOS accessory ecosystem compared to Android, however, there's usually plenty of support for Samsung and will undoubtedly be for the S5 when it drops. The increased screen size WILL be though. You'll notice it when using the keyboard especially. If you are the type that gets bored

Sent from one of my phones

Samsung support was horrible. Everytime I contacted them, they kept confirming what I wanted and I had to say yes to the same exact question. Main reason I switched.

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Samsung support was horrible. Everytime I contacted them, they kept confirming what I wanted and I had to say yes to the same exact question. Main reason I switched.

Sorry I hadn't finished my post....

Yeah, there are definitely some cons to be considered with Samsung. In the 5" screen class there are some better choices than the S4. We'll have to see what the S5 offers but I doubt it will be stellar performance and build quality.

Sent from a white rum 5s

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Sorry I hadn't finished my post....

Yeah, there are definitely some cons to be considered with Samsung. In the 5" screen class there are some better choices than the S4. We'll have to see what the S5 offers but I doubt it will be stellar performance and build quality.

Sent from a white rum 5s

I suppose it will be a 16 core 64bit processor for the international version. An octacore for the US.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Being that one of your two choices doesn't actually exist yet, with completely unknown specs and features, it's kind of hard to give a recommendation based on one of the phones being a big question mark right now.

That being said, a few thoughts:

- if you don't need to replace your phone by April, wait until the iPhone 6 is announced a few short months after the S5, and see which one you like more. Apparently the new iPhone will have a bigger screen (according to rumors)
- have you ever owned an Android phone before? Do you have a need for the features that Android devices have over iOS devices (specifically widgets, sideloading apps not on the app store, access to the file manager being typical items). If so, then you might be better off with the S5. If not, then not.
- do you like getting your phone updated in a timely manner, or are you fine with waiting for updates to trickle down through carrier approval before getting updated. Do you want 3 years of reliable updates, or do you not care about getting the latest OS updates in a timely manner. If you like getting your phone updated, then you do NOT want a non-Nexus Android phone. It's one of Android's biggest Achilles heel's. Here's a good article on iMore's sister site talking about the issue: Solving the impossible problem of Android updates | Android Central

For my personal opinion (which is mine alone, and might be considered bull-crap by others):
- I've had my toes in both ecosystems. Android devices do have a bigger feature list (like the ones I mentioned above). However, the lack of updates to existing devices, lesser app selection (most apps come out for iOS first, then Android months later - if at all) and other issues started to wear down on me. The gee-whiz factor of widgets and being able to customize your home screen with different colors and icon packs wears off real fast, especially when the OS overall is laggier and has more issues than the 'less featured' iOS. My Apple devices have just plain worked better than my Android devices, which is why I switched. Also, since my family has several Apple devices between us, the seamless-ness in syncing data between the devices is a big plus.

I'm past getting into flame wars over what mobile OS a person likes, however that's just my personal experience and recommendations. Your needs may be different than mine.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I've got both an iPhone and a Samsung.
I've got the 5c and the Note 3.

Honestly, play with both when the S5 becomes available. I like both iOS and Android. It really just comes down to the one that fits your needs best. =)

Edit: I agree with a previous poster, I'm excited over what the iPhone 6 might bring. I'm not too enthused over the S5 however, I feel they are rushing a bit too much. They need to focus on more support for current devices instead of just releasing OS updates on handset upgrades only...

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I've got both an iPhone and a Samsung.
I've got the 5c and the Note 3.

Honestly, play with both when the S5 becomes available. I like both iOS and Android. It really just comes down to the one that fits your needs best. =)

Edit: I agree with a previous poster, I'm excited over what the iPhone 6 might bring. I'm not too enthused over the S5 however, I feel they are rushing a bit too much. They need to focus on more support for current devices instead of just releasing OS updates on handset upgrades only...

Another reason why I switched. Only the flagships were getting the updates.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Another reason why I switched. Only the flagships were getting the updates.

I wouldn't even mind if that's the case. I'm still sitting without an update to my Note 3! That's a darn flagship. I'm seeing other devices being released with kitkat that aren't even in the same league! I'm a little peeved.

Samsung needs to either get on the ball or they need to put some weight on the carriers. I hate how cellular companies have to load up their bloat prior to release. It could easily take weeks (Even months) to receive the update via OTA. Yuck.

Edit: http://www.phonesreview.co.uk/2014/...droid-4-4-update-causing-accessories-problem/

:banghead:

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
It's tough to compare a device to one that hasn't even been released yet (let alone one whose specs aren't even out...as far as I know).

I have used an s4 before, and didn't like it. Your best bet would be to do what everyone above suggested...wait until it comes out, figure out your needs, and try out the device. I would say even wait until the new iPhone is released, that way you can test both the iPhone and the s5 and compare the two. Worst comes to worst, you choose the s5 and if you don't like it, return it within the return window for the new iPhone.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

In my opinion, the Galaxy S line of phones runs on a bloated, clunky OS and in comparison with other devices on the market, and has the design cues similar to this...

little-tikes-car-myhomelifemag-com.jpg

...I wouldn't use/own a Samsung smart phone if you bought it for me.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I've never really liked Samsung phones, but Sony and Sharp phones can be nice. Still, I have the iPhone 5 and have no intention of leaving the ecosystem. Especially since I have a MacBook, an iPad, and several iPods. I just couldn't deal with the instability that Android had, which is why I left it and the Windows scene. I'm happy here in Apple land.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh