Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Global Posts
    4,766 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Which iPhone did you think broke the most ground for Apple?

I'm still of the opinion that the 3GS was what pushed the iPhone into the much bigger area of mainstream popularity. It featured a faster processor and more ram to really make the 3G phone platform they had go up to unprecedented heights.

So, to me, the 3GS was THE breakthrough device (which ardent iPhone 5 lovers will kill me shortly thereafter).

Sent from my RM-941_apac_sea_203 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Speedygi; 12-14-2013 at 01:17 AM.
    Wrote pretty much every single word while listening to iRon Maiden
    JustMe'D and Laura Knotek like this.

Global Posts
    6,640 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: Which iPhone did you think broke the most ground for Apple?

My Doctor still uses his 3GS

Should I worry about my care😳

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB
    iPhone 5s Gold 64GB

kill them with kindness :-)
    Speedygi likes this.

Global Posts
    23,215 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Speedygi View Post
    I'm still of the opinion that the 3GS was what pushed the iPhone into the much bigger area of mainstream popularity. It featured a faster processor and more ram to really make the 3G phone platform they had into unprecedented heights.

So, to me, the 3GS was THE breakthrough device for me (which ardent iPhone 5 lovers will kill me shortly thereafter).

Sent from my RM-941_apac_sea_203 using Tapatalk
    Hmmm, good one. The original iPhone changed the game, but when customers were able to purchase it via subsidy, that's when it really took off. I purchased the 3G for a short period of time before returning to my beloved Blackberry. I also believe the iPhone 4 took it to even greater heights with its new and gorgeous design. I'd say the 3G was the device that pushed it into the mainstream in the manner you're speaking, but that's just my opinion.
    Last edited by JustMe'D; 12-12-2013 at 11:06 PM.
    Speedygi likes this.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,602 Global Posts
    iOS Version

The iPhone 4. With the new body and retina display people took it seriously. AT&T exclusivity ended. There are still a lot of them out there in use.
    -Randy
    JustMe'D and Spencerdl like this.

Global Posts
    2,840 Global Posts
    iOS Version

If definitely agree with the iPhone 4. The iPhone really become a fashionable device to have and it seemed that it became mainstream around that point
    JustMe'D and Spencerdl like this.

I would have to say the iphone 4, during the time the iphone3G was released the Blackberry (8330?) was still the smartphone to have....IMO

Quote Originally Posted by kataran View Post

Should I worry about my care��

YES...LOL
    kataran likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    4,067 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I'd say it was the iPhone 4. The retina display and glass and stainless steel body really made it stand out from the crowd at the time. I can't really remember what the hot Android phone of the day was at the time, but from a BlackBerry user's perspective, that's when you really started to notice the iPhone take off. Up until the 4, hardware wise, the higher end BlackBerries were competitive with whatever generation iPhone was out. The "hot" BlackBerry at the time of the iPhone 4 was the Torch 9800, which I had. When I used and compared the two of them, that was the first time I felt BlackBerry was falling behind and needed to step it up.
    Speedygi and Spencerdl like this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,949 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Tail end of 3GS and iPhone 4 is when it took off .. iPhone 4 because it was open to other carriers
    iEd
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    2,349 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I would say iPhone 4 also. Even though the 3GS is one of my favorites. It seems everyone was getting the 4 when it came out. Folks still weren't buying in to the virtual keyboard when the 3GS came out.
    Stevie Jobs was the illest and-droid is played out like Arnold wondering "What you talking about Willis?"
    Spencerdl likes this.

IPhone 4
  12. Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

Global Posts
    4,766 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by kataran View Post

Should I worry about my care��

You better start finding, dude...haha
    Spencerdl and kataran like this.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    885 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1.1

Even though the 3GS got me into the iPhone, the 4 is the true breakthrough device in my opinion. The flat, brick like design, front facing camera, and the flash is what became standard for the iPhone design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Spencerdl likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,681 Global Posts

iphone 4. The form factor pushed the build quality that apple wanted to leverage to establish itself as a premium device. anything before the 4 did not have this
    Spencerdl likes this.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    557 Global Posts

definitely iPhone 4, slightly iphone 5 cause of bigger screen but now no one seems to really care since there hasnt been a "radical" change lately
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    9,505 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

The very first iPhone to me was the most ground breaking...back in 2007 when smart phones were not smart and primarily phones more than anything else. It brought to the table the intuitive and user friendly touch screen, the form factor, the introduction to "apps", the remarkably improved camera functionality, true web browsing, a digital keyboard that could be customized for whatever language you preferred...etc etc etc.

I mean the first iPhone didn't invent most of these things, but it damn sure put it in the consumers hands in a way where they really learned how to use it, and change their lives based on the functionality.

Ever since, they've improved on it...sometimes slightly, sometimes ENORMOUSLY...but all the while, still improvements and not reinvention. To me, if you talk about breaking ground, you reflect the beginning, and as much improvement as has been done to each and every iPhone (and really every smart phone out there) since 2007, the genesis factor was still the very first one...which by todays standards is just an awful experience that no one would prefer, but in 2007...it was jaw dropping.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    33,391 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    N/A

I'd say the original iPhone, since it completely changed what consumers looked for in smartphones. It is responsible for the popularity of touchscreen devices and apps. Previously, smartphones were devices with physical keypads and not much in the way of apps, other than email/organizers. The original iPhone set the standard for everything else that followed, not just from Apple, but from all manufacturers and platforms.
    Laura Knotek

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    Hmmm, good one. The original iPhone changed the game, but when customers were able to purchase it via subsidy, that's when it really took off. I purchased the 3G for a short period of time before returning to my beloved Blackberry. I also believe the iPhone 4 took it to even greater heights with its new and gorgeous design. I'd say the 3G was the device that pushed it into the mainstream in the manner you're speaking, but that's just my opinion.
    It was the first iPhone that looked good. I say that the S versions of the iPhone are the ones that change everything up.
    JustMe'D likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by spencerdl View Post
    YES...LOL
    It's still a good phone. iOS 6 is not out-dated yet. Did you guys hear that Apple is allowing users with older iDevices to download older versions of apps so they could have those apps on their devices that can't support the newer versions of the apps.- I think that may be a bit confusing
  20. Thread AuthorThread Author   #20  

Global Posts
    4,766 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I don't think having iOS6 run older versions of apps on older phones is a bad thing. In fact it's great to still keep these phones having these apps so they could still run them. If nothing, this shows support from the companies and that can only help Apple to user relations. That is surprising to say given that Apple's customer satisfaction numbers are so impressive already.

I do agree that the 4 really introduced the iPhone to a whole generation of users, and the design was completely reworked. It not only gained momentum but also excitement in the product. It's little surprise it sold gangbusters every year and increasingly so...

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5
    Wrote pretty much every single word while listening to iRon Maiden
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    The very first iPhone to me was the most ground breaking...back in 2007 when smart phones were not smart and primarily phones more than anything else. It brought to the table the intuitive and user friendly touch screen, the form factor, the introduction to "apps", the remarkably improved camera functionality, true web browsing, a digital keyboard that could be customized for whatever language you preferred...etc etc etc.

I mean the first iPhone didn't invent most of these things, but it damn sure put it in the consumers hands in a way where they really learned how to use it, and change their lives based on the functionality.

Ever since, they've improved on it...sometimes slightly, sometimes ENORMOUSLY...but all the while, still improvements and not reinvention. To me, if you talk about breaking ground, you reflect the beginning, and as much improvement as has been done to each and every iPhone (and really every smart phone out there) since 2007, the genesis factor was still the very first one...which by todays standards is just an awful experience that no one would prefer, but in 2007...it was jaw dropping.
    You clearly never owned anything other than a Nokia 6210 until your iphone. All the the things you mention existed, and some in better form, before iPhone was released.
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

Having been in the mobile industry and watched as bag phones turned into brick phones which turned into pocketable phones which turned into smartphones which turned into iPhones. Also a longtime Blackberry user, it wasn't until the iPhone 4 that I felt Apple had more than just form, but enough function to warrant a change. Bought my iPhone 4 when they first came out. Still using it. I'm yet to see anything significant enough from Apple to warrant another change.
    Speedygi likes this.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    2,752 Global Posts

I would have to say the iPhone 4 cause of the new design, FaceTime, retina display, and I saw them everywhere. Also I would have to say the iPhone 5S is tied with the iPhone 4 cause of the A7 with 64-bit brought mobile computing another step closer to desktop class processing.

Sent from my 5th gen iPod Touch or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    5,781 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mikedoan View Post
    You clearly never owned anything other than a Nokia 6210 until your iphone. All the the things you mention existed, and some in better form, before iPhone was released.
    I agree. The original iPhone had a high res screen, multitouch, and an awesome browser. And these alone were very compelling. But it wasn't "smart." No apps. No third party stuff. A palm treo blew circles around it with just way more functionality. And the treo had touch, highest res until then, and a half baked browser but all usable.

What broke the most ground and actually became a smartphone was the iPhone 3G with the App Store. The first iPhone, despite the potential and wonderful innovation, was simply a feature phone.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,024 Global Posts

The iPhone 4. Retina display, high quality design, FaceTime.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast