iTunes video or amazon instant video?

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm trying to decide where I want to keep buying my video content on my ipad and iPhone.

On one hand iTunes video is obviously the best integration on those platforms, but it's only accessible on apple products and iTunes. I can't get it on a android device or kindle device or any streaming box outside of a Apple TV.

On the other hand there's amazon instant video, which is on more devices (except android, which is dumb) like roku, kindle fire, game consoles, and pretty much any streaming box that not a Apple TV (also very dumb) but I don't know how the video quality compares to iTunes video on a ipad or iPhone, I think iTunes is maybe a bit better quality?

Really, I'm not sure. I love the integration of iTunes with my apple stuff, but what happens when I no longer have apple products? I was considering switching back to android and if I do then I'm screwed if I have a bunch of purchased iTunes videos. But again, android dosent even have a amazon video app.

What do you guys do?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
For access to streaming contents on a wider variety of devices, then the choice is clear - Amazon. I doubt the quality will be less and will likely depend on the device on which you're watching the content. Yet, even if with your Apple products, like your iPhone, you can still view the Amazon Instant video via the associated app and probably stream it to your Apple TV via AirPlay. Furthermore, are you sure you're going to "buy" and not "rent"? If it's the latter then it's a moot issue. Personally, I rarely buy videos anymore and will opt to rent from time to time via my ATV.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
For access to streaming contents on a wider variety of devices, then the choice is clear - Amazon. I doubt the quality will be less and will likely depend on the device on which you're watching the content. Yet, even if with your Apple products, like your iPhone, you can still view the Amazon Instant video via the associated app and probably stream it to your Apple TV via AirPlay. Furthermore, are you sure you're going to "buy" and not "rent"? If it's the latter then it's a moot issue. Personally, I rarely buy videos anymore and will opt to rent from time to time via my ATV.

We'll, it's only tv episodes that I can't get on net flicks or amazon prime like southpark.

I don't buy a lot either, but every now and then I like to and I'm just trying to decide which service to go with.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
We'll, it's only tv episodes that I can't get on net flicks or amazon prime like southpark.

I don't buy a lot either, but every now and then I like to and I'm just trying to decide which service to go with.

I understand, and good luck with whatever service you opt to go with..:)

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
For now, I think streaming on Apple TV is absolutely dreadful. It loses progress far too easily when you stop a movie and kicks you out of the movie when you attempt to start it up again. I have never tried Amazon's instant video service, but I'm willing to wager there are more than a few services that could be better than Apple's...