Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

View Poll Results: would you like apple to bring MUCH cheaper iphones than the 5C into the market ?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • no

15 60.00%
  • not sure

2 8.00%
  • yes

8 32.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    927 Global Posts

Default do you think apple should enter the low-medium budget market ?

Let's face it...the 5C is a pathetic excuse for a budget device, its far too expensive for the budget market.

I mean Apple should sell proper budget iPhones (lumia 520 to Samsung s3 mini price)

I'd say either produce a mini version of the 5C with a 3.5" screen, lower specs and bring the iPhone 4 and 4s back into production.

Apple has lost a lot of market share to Android and I believe this is the best way of taking it back.

What do you think ?
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,743 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Default Re: do you think apple should enter the low-medium budget market ?

Quote Originally Posted by stalemate1 View Post
    Let's face it...the 5C is a pathetic excuse for a budget device, its far too expensive for the budget market.

I mean Apple should sell proper budget iPhones (lumia 520 to Samsung s3 mini price)

I'd say either produce a mini version of the 5C with a 3.5" screen, lower specs and bring the iPhone 4 and 4s back into production.

Apple has lost a lot of market share to Android and I believe this is the best way of taking it back.

What do you think ?
    4s is in production .. Has a smaller screen and is free on contract
    5c is middle of the line
    5s is top

People should learn by now you get what you pay for with any company and Apple is no different ..
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    927 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Peligro911 View Post
    And how much is it without a contract ? very expensive for a "budget" device dont you think.

the thread was asking the question if apple should compete on the "true/real budget market". (lumia 520 or LG optimus L5ii price level.) a 4S is far more expensive than these two devices in South Africa.

Global Posts
    5,068 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Apple never said the 5C was supposed to be a budget device. So no it's not "a pathetic excuse for a budget device" because it was never intended to be one.
    Thanked by:
    Alik Malix (11-20-2013), Fausty82 (11-18-2013)
    Fausty82, kch50428 and taz323 like this.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    11,669 Global Posts

I think that the 5c shows Apple might be willing to offer even cheaper iterations of its current flagship model down the line.
    iMore Newbie

Just want Apple to stay on top.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    398 Global Posts

Even flagship Android phones that are several years old now can run close to $100 out of contract. Buying a smartphone off contract is just expensive period, unless you don't mind any dinky old thing and I don't think Apple will ever release a dinky old iOS device. I do wonder if they could push an iPhone towards $300 unlocked though. How much more stuff do they have to add over the iPod Touch to make it a phone?

Global Posts
    1,548 Global Posts
    iOS Version

The 5c wasn't suppose to be a budget phone but cheaper. It's cheaper for those on contract but not cheaper for those who have to pay full price. The PRICE of course is a bit lower than the 5s but isn't the price of a (for instance) Nexus 5.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using
    32GB iPhone 5S 32GB iPhone 5 64GB iPad 3 LTE 15" MacBook Pro 2.8GHz 21" iMac 2.9GHz i5
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    iOS Version

5c is middle of the line
    5s is top

People should learn by now you get what you pay for with any company and Apple is no different ..
    I have a 5c and it was a small step by Apple to expand their iPhone range for the first time in 6 years. The 4s is 2 years old now and Apple is a hugely profitable company with near limitless resources.
    Sure it is well within their means to be able to produce a wholly new phone for the sector represented by the 4s. Others can do it, why can't Apple?
    Last edited by YorkieRay; 11-18-2013 at 02:53 PM.
  10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    927 Global Posts

Nevertheless, I wish apple would bring out a cheap iPhone...I wouldn't spend more than R2000 (about $170) on a phone, its what my budget allows.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,050 Global Posts

Apple doesn't believe in cheap product that's why they will not make a cheap phone apple believes in making top class products so I don't see it happening
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,743 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Nevertheless, I wish apple would bring out a cheap iPhone...I wouldn't spend more than R2000 (about $170) on a phone, its what my budget allows.
    Buy a iPhone 3GS on eBay lol
    Thanked by:
    jaleelhamid (11-18-2013)
    jaleelhamid likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,050 Global Posts

Buy a iPhone 3GS on eBay lol
    Hahahaha that's very true! Now if people want cheap iPhones they should go for the very first models
    iMore Newbie

iOS Version
    Beta

Apple may be holding off on doing this until they get screen size right. They've only just transitioned into 4" devices, and there are rumors of larger ones coming. When this happens, they may restructure off-contract pricing of older devices to hit cheaper price points.
    iPhone 4siPad (3rd generation)Mac mini (late 2012)Nikon D5200 (Flickr)
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    467 Global Posts

I dont want apple build cheap iphone i will not buy it,there is already much cheap phone outside, iphone has it own market and they do well.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    845 Global Posts

i think Apple will eventually open that market ,at this movement they are in the observation mode and don't want to take some hasty decision
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    4,625 Global Posts

This is a tough question, but I think I would have to say no. Apple has had the reputation for making more high class, high end products. Creating an iPhone to specifically go after the low end market might not be such a good idea. The way that it is setup I think is fine. 5s is the high end, 5c is the mid range, and then the low end iPhone is the 4s. Each year, the previous year's phone will become the low end phone and it just repeats. But I will admit that something like the 5c was needed to spice up/shake up the iPhone line. It (along with iOS 7) made iPhones more fun without diluting the brand and making them seem cheesy.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,139 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6 B4

What do you think ?
    THE iPhone 5C IS NOT M***********G BUDGET PHONE! And the S3 Mini and 520 are both garbage!
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    6,052 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I think the only way apple will sell a cheap iPhone is if it's cheap. If it's a 100 diffence between a poly vs premium device that's almost a no brainer

Sent from my Note 3 using iMore Forums mobile app
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    582 Global Posts

What do you think ?
    I live in India and I share your sentiments about the Iphones being expensive for countries like ours, where there is no contract pricing.
    However, I also prefer the exclusivity because of the pricing. Every tom,****,harry owns some sort of Android iteration here and I feel priviledged to own my iphone.
    Apple still has that " if you can't afford you don't deserve us" outlook.

Maybe they can come out with a cheaper different branded low cost phone, like the Lexus-Toyota , so as not to hurt the image and market.
    stalemate1 likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    944 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.0.4

Not that long ago during an interview Tim Cook said the 5C was never intended to be a budget device so I really wish people would stop comparing/wanting it to be one. There was speculation but now the speculation is no longer good because apple itself said it's not a budget phone.

Now, yes I would like to see Apple make a budget phone. And I think if they want to be competitive long term they're going to have to. I really think even the US is going away from the 2 year contract thing and I don't know many people who would pay 500-600 upfront for an iPhone. Times are changing and what worked a few years ago won't work today. I remember when I first signed up for my first cell phone around 2009ish I believe. I was buying the LG Chocolate Touch when the original Droid came out and the Verizon rep says I don't know anybody who would ever want Internet on their phone and would pay $100 a month for it..... Times have definitely changed. Now I don't think Apple has to hurry and rush out a budget device even in 2014 but beyond its going to have to be on their considering list if they want to stay competitive for top dog of phones. If they never do release a budget phone I don't think the iphone will become extinct it will just settle in at 2 or 3 in the markshare list and just be another phone. People love their iPhones so it will never go away totally but if people have to start paying full price for phones the user base will decline

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
    "The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do." -Steve Jobs
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    iOS Version

most up public demand cheaper but i dont't think so that apple never should be that . apple have own marketing strategy , always be unique product have totally different platform ,
    already iphone sold out millions phone even if its costly 5s 5 4s (not call cheaper 5C)

Ashish n. d.

Happy to be Part of iMore..
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    7,983 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

For starters, the 5C was never intended to be a "cheap" iPhone...calling it that would be like saying the Ford Mustang is a terrible minivan. It's just irrelevant.

As far as your question on whether Apple should venture into that realm...my answer/question in response would be why do they need to? They have found a formula for substantial and consistent sales, they have found that even with the premium tier products they DO sell, they have trouble keeping up with demand...and they have always held the standard of being a "luxury brand", so to enter into what I consider the "junk phone" market would just degrade the Apple brand itself.

So no. I don't think they need to.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    342 Global Posts

Per Tim Cook: "We don't build junk"

Apple has never once indicated that they're interested in competing for the low end market when quality will be compromised. They didn't before they were in the phone market, and they're still not now.

(I know the car analogy is over used, but...) Not everyone can afford a new BMW or (insert favorite high end car brand) either, but you don't see them trying to compete with Ford Fiestas and Kia Rio's in order to gain market share, do you?

Global Posts
    3,205 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I think they shouldn't do it. I don't mean to sound like I don't want a cheap iPhone for the masses, and especially in the myriad countries which typically have a lower price expectation for these devices. I mean to say that if Apple wants to continue pushing the price points they typically push with their iPhones they need to push the envelope on the features and raw specs of their processors, etc. Imagine this, if people get a wind of what Android offers at their prices which are almost always cheaper than iPhones, no matter how small the gap, they would always gravitate toward the phones with the obscene megapixel counts and processor speeds. The only sticking power of Apple is the brand equity and the premium feel of their devices. Most sentiments I have gotten from iPhones are that there is a compromise on raw specs, which I find particularly interesting. It is akin to saying a slower car is what they'd want to race with, even if it was put up to go against a Ferrari.

Now I'd imagine that some people don't really desire the quad core processors of the Android flagships these days and yet go for iPhones because of the plentiful iOS ecosystem, but Apple shouldn't price their phones based on the namesake and build quality to compensate.

The iPhone 5c is actually a good first attempt at doing that, just like they could be said to be going for with the 3G and 3GS. It has a bigger battery, a phone comparable to just one generation below, and some awesome build quality for a polycarbonate phone. I would like to see them actually pushing further into that territory with a higher capacity of power available to match some of the flagships from Android in the coming year.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast