do you think apple should enter the low-medium budget market ?

would you like apple to bring MUCH cheaper iphones than the 5C into the market ?

• no

Votes: 15 60.0%
  • not sure

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • yes

Votes: 8 32.0%

• Total voters

meashishnd

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
most up public demand cheaper but i dont't think so that apple never should be that . apple have own marketing strategy , always be unique product have totally different platform ,
already iphone sold out millions phone even if its costly 5s 5 4s (not call cheaper 5C)

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
For starters, the 5C was never intended to be a "cheap" iPhone...calling it that would be like saying the Ford Mustang is a terrible minivan. It's just irrelevant.

As far as your question on whether Apple should venture into that realm...my answer/question in response would be why do they need to? They have found a formula for substantial and consistent sales, they have found that even with the premium tier products they DO sell, they have trouble keeping up with demand...and they have always held the standard of being a "luxury brand", so to enter into what I consider the "junk phone" market would just degrade the Apple brand itself.

So no. I don't think they need to.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Per Tim Cook: "We don't build junk"

Apple has never once indicated that they're interested in competing for the low end market when quality will be compromised. They didn't before they were in the phone market, and they're still not now.

(I know the car analogy is over used, but...) Not everyone can afford a new BMW or (insert favorite high end car brand) either, but you don't see them trying to compete with Ford Fiestas and Kia Rio's in order to gain market share, do you?

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I think they shouldn't do it. I don't mean to sound like I don't want a cheap iPhone for the masses, and especially in the myriad countries which typically have a lower price expectation for these devices. I mean to say that if Apple wants to continue pushing the price points they typically push with their iPhones they need to push the envelope on the features and raw specs of their processors, etc. Imagine this, if people get a wind of what Android offers at their prices which are almost always cheaper than iPhones, no matter how small the gap, they would always gravitate toward the phones with the obscene megapixel counts and processor speeds. The only sticking power of Apple is the brand equity and the premium feel of their devices. Most sentiments I have gotten from iPhones are that there is a compromise on raw specs, which I find particularly interesting. It is akin to saying a slower car is what they'd want to race with, even if it was put up to go against a Ferrari.

Now I'd imagine that some people don't really desire the quad core processors of the Android flagships these days and yet go for iPhones because of the plentiful iOS ecosystem, but Apple shouldn't price their phones based on the namesake and build quality to compensate.

The iPhone 5c is actually a good first attempt at doing that, just like they could be said to be going for with the 3G and 3GS. It has a bigger battery, a phone comparable to just one generation below, and some awesome build quality for a polycarbonate phone. I would like to see them actually pushing further into that territory with a higher capacity of power available to match some of the flagships from Android in the coming year.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Most sentiments I have gotten from iPhones are that there is a compromise on raw specs, which I find particularly interesting. It is akin to saying a slower car is what they'd want to race with, even if it was put up to go against a Ferrari.

Now I'd imagine that some people don't really desire the quad core processors of the Android flagships these days and yet go for iPhones because of the plentiful iOS ecosystem, but Apple shouldn't price their phones based on the namesake and build quality to compensate.

Problem with this statement is that despite 'lesser' specs, iOS devices have typically blown away higher specced Android devices in benchmarks and real world usage despite 'slower' specs. Additionally, the 5S doesn't even have a rival remotely close to its performance at the moment. Not sure where you getting the 'iPhones are slower' sentiment outside of "OMG it's not an quadcore processor!" line of reasoning, which actually doesn't matter as much.

stalemate1

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Even flagship Android phones that are several years old now can run close to $100 out of contract. Buying a smartphone off contract is just expensive period, unless you don't mind any dinky old thing and I don't think Apple will ever release a dinky old iOS device. I do wonder if they could push an iPhone towards $300 unlocked though. How much more stuff do they have to add over the iPod Touch to make it a phone?

excellent point!

They just need to take an iPod touch and add a sim card slot and 3G or LTE. I wonder how much a workshop would charge to do it.

but excellent suggestion.

stalemate1

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Problem with this statement is that despite 'lesser' specs, iOS devices have typically blown away higher specced Android devices in benchmarks and real world usage despite 'slower' specs. Additionally, the 5S doesn't even have a rival remotely close to its performance at the moment. Not sure where you getting the 'iPhones are slower' sentiment outside of "OMG it's not an quadcore processor!" line of reasoning, which actually doesn't matter as much.

I also find it strange that iPhone wins benchmarks with "inferior hardware" but lets face it, Android is a resource hog. reason: test the iPhone 3G (600mhz processor) runs almost as smooth as a 5S, put Android on that same hardware...and you get a phone too slow to work.

if you are too test hardware...both devices must have the same exact os.

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Let's face it...the 5C is a pathetic excuse for a budget device, its far too expensive for the budget market.

I mean Apple should sell proper budget iPhones (lumia 520 to Samsung s3 mini price)

I'd say either produce a mini version of the 5C with a 3.5" screen, lower specs and bring the iPhone 4 and 4s back into production.

Apple has lost a lot of market share to Android and I believe this is the best way of taking it back.

What do you think ?

I have to say no, I like quality for my money.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I also find it strange that iPhone wins benchmarks with "inferior hardware" but lets face it, Android is a resource hog. reason: test the iPhone 3G (600mhz processor) runs almost as smooth as a 5S, put Android on that same hardware...and you get a phone too slow to work.

if you are too test hardware...both devices must have the same exact os.

You answered your own question, Android is a resource hog and not efficient. iOS devices run better in all aspects with 1GB RAM than Android devices do with 2GB of RAM.

However, testing hardware with the same OS on each is of limited value. What good is better hardware if the software to runs poorly? I'd rather take a hypothetical 'slower' phone with a more responsive OS and better real world performance than superior hardware that runs worse with a crappy OS.

That, and there's the fact that the iPhone hardware isn't actually slower (it's actually plenty fast), it just not quadcore which actually doesn't matter much. The 5S especially has no equal at the moment hardware or software performance-wise.

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
It is shocking how much better software runs when it is optimized for a specific hardware set.

This is one of the reasons video game consoles can push fairly good graphics despite relatively dreadful hardware.

Chrome OS runs great on crap hardware (2 gigs of RAM and a cellphone processor LOL!).

This is one of the reasons I'm happy to have a Mac as my desktop. I still love Android (moreso than iOS tbh) but it has plenty of flaws.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk 4

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
You answered your own question, Android is a resource hog and not efficient. iOS devices run better in all aspects with 1GB RAM than Android devices do with 2GB of RAM.

However, testing hardware with the same OS on each is of limited value. What good is better hardware if the software to runs poorly? I'd rather take a hypothetical 'slower' phone with a more responsive OS and better real world performance than superior hardware that runs worse with a crappy OS.

That, and there's the fact that the iPhone hardware isn't actually slower (it's actually plenty fast), it just not quadcore which actually doesn't matter much. The 5S especially has no equal at the moment hardware or software performance-wise.

The cores only matter in multitasking, which iPhones don't really do truly.

stalemate1

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I live in India and I share your sentiments about the Iphones being expensive for countries like ours, where there is no contract pricing.
However, I also prefer the exclusivity because of the pricing. Every tom,****,harry owns some sort of Android iteration here and I feel priviledged to own my iphone.
Apple still has that " if you can't afford you don't deserve us" outlook.

Maybe they can come out with a cheaper different branded low cost phone, like the Lexus-Toyota , so as not to hurt the image and market.
:D:D:p

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site

And, the battery life of the 5s according to some, rivals android devices, which is to say lousy.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Even flagship Android phones that are several years old now can run close to $100 out of contract. Buying a smartphone off contract is just expensive period, unless you don't mind any dinky old thing and I don't think Apple will ever release a dinky old iOS device. I do wonder if they could push an iPhone towards $300 unlocked though. How much more stuff do they have to add over the iPod Touch to make it a phone?

Yet there are top of the line spec'd nexus devices for $350 or even the moto g which is less than 200 without a contract and that has specs on par with the 4s which apple still charges around $500 for.......

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Yet there are top of the line spec'd nexus devices for $350 or even the moto g which is less than 200 without a contract and that has specs on par with the 4s which apple still charges around $500 for.......

Precisely, and in most cases, the software isn't that far worse than iOS on those Nexus devices.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Precisely, and in most cases, the software isn't that far worse than iOS on those Nexus devices.

Even on the new moto devices they are running near stock android and in many cases the latest version of android. It is no longer the case where only garbage phones can be bought for cheap. Android continues to narrow the gap between IOS in terms of usability and smoothness. Maybe apple is happy with a 10-15% market share like they have with their line of computers. But then again apple wants to expand more outside of the US where contracts are not the main means of buying a device so they aren't getting the type of adoption rates in many areas like they have here in the US.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Even on the new moto devices they are running near stock android and in many cases the latest version of android. It is no longer the case where only garbage phones can be bought for cheap. Android continues to narrow the gap between IOS in terms of usability and smoothness. Maybe apple is happy with a 10-15% market share like they have with their line of computers. But then again apple wants to expand more outside of the US where contracts are not the main means of buying a device so they aren't getting the type of adoption rates in many areas like they have here in the US.

So eventually Android phones are going to catch up.. That's what you are trying to say.

I must say I agree. When that happens I don't think Apple can price their phones at prices far above normal sim-free levels like they typically do. But on the other hand they could easily ignore those markets where consumers are looking to buy cheaper unlocked phones for prepaid use, as Apple is earning more than their margins every single time with every iPhone.

Sent from my HTC One using Mobile Nations mobile app

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
And, the battery life of the 5s according to some, rivals android devices, which is to say lousy.

With the Moto X now serving up one day usage battery times.. I don't think this statement is true currently. However, we do see very optimized battery life in iOS that matches every Android phone in existence.

So it's a difficult comparison to do.

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
With the Moto X now serving up one day usage battery times.. I don't think this statement is true currently. However, we do see very optimized battery life in iOS that matches every Android phone in existence.

So it's a difficult comparison to do.

I'm not familiar enough with the Moto to know what the battery life is. My guess is if you look at Moto forums the battery life will be across the map. Just like for the 5s on 7.0.4 battery life posts are all over the map.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal