do you think apple should enter the low-medium budget market ?

would you like apple to bring MUCH cheaper iphones than the 5C into the market ?

• no

Votes: 15 60.0%
  • not sure

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • yes

Votes: 8 32.0%

• Total voters

stalemate1

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Let's face it...the 5C is a pathetic excuse for a budget device, its far too expensive for the budget market.

I mean Apple should sell proper budget iPhones (lumia 520 to Samsung s3 mini price)

I'd say either produce a mini version of the 5C with a 3.5" screen, lower specs and bring the iPhone 4 and 4s back into production.

Apple has lost a lot of market share to Android and I believe this is the best way of taking it back.

What do you think ?

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Let's face it...the 5C is a pathetic excuse for a budget device, its far too expensive for the budget market.

I mean Apple should sell proper budget iPhones (lumia 520 to Samsung s3 mini price)

I'd say either produce a mini version of the 5C with a 3.5" screen, lower specs and bring the iPhone 4 and 4s back into production.

Apple has lost a lot of market share to Android and I believe this is the best way of taking it back.

What do you think ?

4s is in production .. Has a smaller screen and is free on contract
5c is middle of the line
5s is top

People should learn by now you get what you pay for with any company and Apple is no different ..

stalemate1

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site

And how much is it without a contract ? very expensive for a "budget" device dont you think.

the thread was asking the question if apple should compete on the "true/real budget market". (lumia 520 or LG optimus L5ii price level.) a 4S is far more expensive than these two devices in South Africa.

Tre Lawrence

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
I think that the 5c shows Apple might be willing to offer even cheaper iterations of its current flagship model down the line.

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Even flagship Android phones that are several years old now can run close to $100 out of contract. Buying a smartphone off contract is just expensive period, unless you don't mind any dinky old thing and I don't think Apple will ever release a dinky old iOS device. I do wonder if they could push an iPhone towards $300 unlocked though. How much more stuff do they have to add over the iPod Touch to make it a phone?

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
The 5c wasn't suppose to be a budget phone but cheaper. It's cheaper for those on contract but not cheaper for those who have to pay full price. The PRICE of course is a bit lower than the 5s but isn't the price of a (for instance) Nexus 5.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

YorkieRay

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
5c is middle of the line
5s is top

People should learn by now you get what you pay for with any company and Apple is no different ..

I have a 5c and it was a small step by Apple to expand their iPhone range for the first time in 6 years. The 4s is 2 years old now and Apple is a hugely profitable company with near limitless resources.
Sure it is well within their means to be able to produce a wholly new phone for the sector represented by the 4s. Others can do it, why can't Apple?

Last edited:

stalemate1

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Nevertheless, I wish apple would bring out a cheap iPhone...I wouldn't spend more than R2000 (about $170) on a phone, its what my budget allows.

jaleelhamid

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Apple doesn't believe in cheap product that's why they will not make a cheap phone apple believes in making top class products so I don't see it happening

kona314

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Apple may be holding off on doing this until they get screen size right. They've only just transitioned into 4" devices, and there are rumors of larger ones coming. When this happens, they may restructure off-contract pricing of older devices to hit cheaper price points.

ankush77

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
i think Apple will eventually open that market ,at this movement they are in the observation mode and don't want to take some hasty decision

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This is a tough question, but I think I would have to say no. Apple has had the reputation for making more high class, high end products. Creating an iPhone to specifically go after the low end market might not be such a good idea. The way that it is setup I think is fine. 5s is the high end, 5c is the mid range, and then the low end iPhone is the 4s. Each year, the previous year's phone will become the low end phone and it just repeats. But I will admit that something like the 5c was needed to spice up/shake up the iPhone line. It (along with iOS 7) made iPhones more fun without diluting the brand and making them seem cheesy.

boovish

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site

What do you think ?

THE iPhone 5C IS NOT M***********G BUDGET PHONE! And the S3 Mini and 520 are both garbage!

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
I think the only way apple will sell a cheap iPhone is if it's cheap. If it's a 100 diffence between a poly vs premium device that's almost a no brainer

Sent from my Note 3 using iMore Forums mobile app

ritesh

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site

What do you think ?

I live in India and I share your sentiments about the Iphones being expensive for countries like ours, where there is no contract pricing.
However, I also prefer the exclusivity because of the pricing. Every tom,****,harry owns some sort of Android iteration here and I feel priviledged to own my iphone.
Apple still has that " if you can't afford you don't deserve us" outlook.

Maybe they can come out with a cheaper different branded low cost phone, like the Lexus-Toyota , so as not to hurt the image and market.

thatotherdude24

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Not that long ago during an interview Tim Cook said the 5C was never intended to be a budget device so I really wish people would stop comparing/wanting it to be one. There was speculation but now the speculation is no longer good because apple itself said it's not a budget phone.

Now, yes I would like to see Apple make a budget phone. And I think if they want to be competitive long term they're going to have to. I really think even the US is going away from the 2 year contract thing and I don't know many people who would pay 500-600 upfront for an iPhone. Times are changing and what worked a few years ago won't work today. I remember when I first signed up for my first cell phone around 2009ish I believe. I was buying the LG Chocolate Touch when the original Droid came out and the Verizon rep says I don't know anybody who would ever want Internet on their phone and would pay $100 a month for it..... Times have definitely changed. Now I don't think Apple has to hurry and rush out a budget device even in 2014 but beyond its going to have to be on their considering list if they want to stay competitive for top dog of phones. If they never do release a budget phone I don't think the iphone will become extinct it will just settle in at 2 or 3 in the markshare list and just be another phone. People love their iPhones so it will never go away totally but if people have to start paying full price for phones the user base will decline

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR