What do you think is the next "big thing" in smartphones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I don't think curved screens will really end up being a huge big thing. More like 3D screens. Remember those?

Face recognition could be, if it worked more reliably and wasn't so easily defeated. In this time of such expansive social networking, securing a photograph of a phone owner's face is far easier than lifting their fingerprint.

The fingerprint scanner isn't a big thing, in my opinion... But it works so well, it's use just blends in to the point you barely realize you're using it... Until you have to use a device without it,

I think the Moto X's "always on" speech recognition and GoogleNow are moving in the right direction. Touch free voice control could be another one of those features, where it just works and blends in to the overall user experience.

I also think the language coprocessor in the Moto X, and M7 coprocessor in the iPhone 5S, are also moving in the right direction. Compartmentalizing certain tasks and processes that run in the background to their own low energy processors can open a whole new world up for what a phone can do without destroying battery life. This can also let manufacturers reduce battery size, and make phones lighter and thinner, while maintaining or improving on the current expectations for battery performance.

We've also only scratched the surface of what 64-bit processing will do to the mobile landscape. That's the current thing that hasn't even been fully realized yet, and when it is, I think it will be the "next" big thing... It just so happens that the foundations are already being laid today.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Fully integrated auto and home in the Palm of your hand

Unlock your car auto start diagnostic maintenance notifications auto Nav drivability theft protection

Home control lights temp stove TV child monitoring

I know some of this is in play already but I'm talking about a higher encrypted level

Sent from my iPhone 5

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
A more legitimate online multiplayer gaming arena...right now it's in the infant stages (like home consoles were in the early 00's)...soon, you'll be having the same experience you have on your Xbox or PlayStation on your phone...and it will essentially destroy the hand held market (DS, PSP, etc).

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
Just like in the one commercial that I saw I would hope with the introduction of curved glass you can fold your phone to normal size and unfold it to tablet size on a whim. That would be awesome.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Iris scanners, used frequently in secure locations and the tech is sound. The trick will be to implement it in the front facing camera without losing power, battery life, or slimness.

Blazin' From Mini 2 You

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Just simply more than three days in battery life. If they can nail that, I think contextual computing won't be a far off reality.

The number of things the industry didn't nail fully are as plentiful as it is, but since battery fuels all of that I think it should be the next innovation, and I'm not just talking about higher capacity batteries in a smaller form factor, but also renewable energy on a cell phone...

I can dream...

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
Just simply more than three days in battery life. If they can nail that, I think contextual computing won't be a far off reality.

The number of things the industry didn't nail fully are as plentiful as it is, but since battery fuels all of that I think it should be the next innovation, and I'm not just talking about higher capacity batteries in a smaller form factor, but also renewable energy on a cell phone...

I can dream...

There is a new technology called hyper cells I believe and it is supposed to charge your battery in like thirty seconds

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Tre Lawrence

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Yes to Speedy and Ever6... better battery life!

Love Jmr's thought too... better "always-on" functionality to go along with stuff like Google Now.

Laura Knotek

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm not interested in voice control. I don't even like talking on the phone, so I wouldn't like talking to the phone.

However, I'd like to see motion control gestures where it won't even be necessary to touch the screen to do things.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm not interested in voice control. I don't even like talking on the phone, so I wouldn't like talking to the phone.

However, I'd like to see motion control gestures where it won't even be necessary to touch the screen to do things.

Galaxy S4 did interesting things with that, you heard about that? :)

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Wearables, like the smart watches, and fitbits I think will finally catch on/hit there mainstream. They will connect to and extend our phones. :) (Google glass too, and I'm sure others like it, cheaper will emerge, some even apple compatible, I'm sure most of the others will be apple and android)

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
Wearables, like the smart watches, and fitbits I think will finally catch on/hit there mainstream. They will connect to and extend our phones. :) (Google glass too, and I'm sure others like it, cheaper will emerge, some even apple compatible, I'm sure most of the others will be apple and android)

I think the main issue with smart watches will be the battery life. I wouldn't want another device that I'd have to charge.

Last edited by a moderator:

Laura Knotek

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
The other issue to me is durability. I want it to be able to take a hit every now and then and be submersible.

I agree. I see smartwatches being something more popular for outdoor activities and sports than at the office.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Tapatalk

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I think we will see the merging of desktop and mobile OS to make it a full fledged desktop OS on our phones. They have plenty of power under the hood and continue moving closer towards that full desktop experience

Becjr

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
What the next big thing will be, I couldn't say, but considering I'm still waiting for flying cars...
If I could have my fantasy,
- Superconductive battery cells to last for 6+ months on a single charge would be nice...
- Environmentally prepped with water, dirt, and shock resistance and resiliency right out of the box...
- Greater onboard support for assistive services (I'm talkin' to you Siri)...
- Increases onboard storage (without an outrageous price point)...
What I [personally] don't need is a bigger phone - a phablet sized phone kinda defeats the purpose of a small, portable device [imo].

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
What the next big thing will be, I couldn't say, but considering I'm still waiting for flying cars...
If I could have my fantasy,
- Superconductive battery cells to last for 6+ months on a single charge would be nice...
- Environmentally prepped with water, dirt, and shock resistance and resiliency right out of the box...
- Greater onboard support for assistive services (I'm talkin' to you Siri)...
- Increases onboard storage (without an outrageous price point)...
What I [personally] don't need is a bigger phone - a phablet sized phone kinda defeats the purpose of a small, portable device [imo].

Unfortunately, the industry seems to be marching down the bigger phone route. I have been lamenting how all the OEMs no longer feel making small devices with the top end specs are a priority to them, and that's a sad truth that I may have to accept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro