iPhone 5S & iOS 7 ---> iPhone 6 & iOS 8

Brutal Efficiency

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Mobile fans, how do you feel Apple Inc could improve on the iPhone 5S and iOS 7 for next year's release of the iPhone 6 and iOS 8??

iOS:
- Improved Apple Maps
- More Camera Features
- Improved Email Client
- Evolution of the lovely iOS 7 UI
- Wi-Fi Direct

iPhone Hardware:
- Qi Wireless
- NFC
- 4.2inch screen (increase width)
- Headphone jack at the top
- Battery size increase

What are you guys looking for in next year's upgrade? iPhone 5S and iOS 7 is a loved device now and no doubt next year's Apple offerings will be just as brilliant, but there's nothing wrong with adding your 2 cents!!!! :D

sconrad308

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Mobile fans, how do you feel Apple Inc could improve on the iPhone 5S and iOS 7 for next year's release of the iPhone 6 and iOS 8??

iOS:
- Improved Apple Maps
- More Camera Features
- Improved Email Client
- Wi-Fi Direct

iPhone Hardware:
- Qi Wireless
- NFC
- Battery size increase

What are you guys looking for in next year's upgrade? iPhone 5S and iOS 7 is a loved device now and no doubt next year's Apple offerings will be just as brilliant, but there's nothing wrong with adding your 2 cents!!!! :D

For me to switch to iOS the email client would have to allow a way to email files directly. I respond to people in their emails and I wouldn't want to have to send 2 different emails if I'm doing multiple file types or have to start a new email thread with someone. First and foremost my phone has to allow me to work the way I need to work. I use it primarily as a work device. With that being said, increasing the screen size to 4.5" would be about the smallest I would like. So for me between 4.5" and 5" would be about right.

The maps would be a nice to have improved, but I could always use google maps. The NFC and Qi wireless would be great to have. I use NFC now a couple times a week. Works like a charm and is pretty quick. The wireless charging would be nice, set it down on the mat and it starts charging. Nice way to keep to topped off but still allow quick and easy access to it.

Anilu7

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site

iOS:
- Improved Apple Maps
- More Camera Features
- Improved Email Client
- Wi-Fi Direct

iPhone Hardware:
- Qi Wireless
- NFC
- Battery size increase

I'd like a bigger screen. I'm still using an iPhone 4 and now find it way too tiny for my eyes and frustrating to type on. The 5 and 5s are a step in the right direction for me but I'd really like 4.2 to 4.5".

That being said, a bigger battery is always a plus. There's nothing like being out when your battery is dying. NOT I do like a removable battery too but don't know if that's something Apple would consider.

NFC would be good since it's a good start now but standardized NFC for iPhone, Android and BlackBerry would help adoption and therefore convenience.

I like my apps to be integrated for easy sharing of video links, pictures, files, etc.

Those would be the best things for me to see.

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I could care less for Qi wireless charging, NFC, or moving the headphone jack. The headphone jack was on the top of the iPhone since introduction, up until the iPhone 5. I like it on the bottom.

As far as battery size... I think the actual size is irrelevant. What Apple can do with the size is more important. If Apple can offer similar battery life in the next iPhone to what the 5S gets now, and somehow reduce the size to 1000mAh, thereby lightening and thinning out the phone even further... I'd imagine they would do that. iPhone Air. Haha

As far as improvements I'd want in the iPhone 6, I simply want, and I think Apple will deliver:
-Slightly increased screen size
-2x as fast as the iPhone 5S
-same or better battery life as the iPhone 5S
-Better camera than the 5S

I'd like to see a voice control language coprocessor and native Cue assistant. Poised to take on GoogleNow and the Moto X

I'd like to see the increase in screen size not impact the overall size of the phone as much. An edge to edge screen, 4.2 to 4.3", at 16:9 or 16:10 aspect ratio. I would like the screen to go IGZO, and offer accurate color representation.

Apple has always proven specs count for very little when it comes to real world performance. I just want the performance, and I don't care how Apple achieves it.

Grabber5.0

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Wireless charging is high on my list on wants. Anyone that has ever owned a Palm Touchstone knows you get really spoiled by it! Note I said want, not need - obviously it's not a deal breaker or I wouldn't own an iPhone.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Camera functionality will always be a plus in this day and age...because these smart phones are the most popular cameras on the planet as well.

Battery life would be nice, but only in the same form factor. I'm not personally wanting a larger chassis for the sake of a bigger battery.

I definitely want a similar feature to the Galaxy S "Active". I think this feature, above most others, is the one I want the most.

...other than that, I can't really think of anything else I really want that I see anywhere else, or features that are feasible with the technology available.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
The iPhone 6 is the redesign model so I definitely want

a bigger screen (4.5" to a max 5")
2GB RAM
S8 chip for local Siri
Black and Gold option

iOS 8
AirDrop between iOS and Mac OS
Local Siri commands (basic commands)
Better Siri behaviour (Activating pauses music, podcasts it should resume when Siri finishes)
User defined Control Center toggles
Up Next feature in Music player (exists in iTunes)
Playlists in the cloud
Ability to put app/folder icons anywhere on the usable home screen grid
iMessage quick reply
more Touch ID integration with apps (Apple Store, 1Password, etc.)

thatgirl87

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
iOS 8:
Customize UI colors
Use volume buttons to control music

IPhone 6:
128 GB
NFC
Bring back black/slate color options

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Brutal Efficiency

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I don't care about wifi direct, NFC, or wireless charging. There's been plenty of discussion about these features in other threads. They just don't add anything that I care about.
Even more improved camera optics would be nice. A true optical zoom although I don't see how they would fit the lenses necessary for that in a small space. 1080p on the 120fps mode would be nice too.
I wouldn't kind a small screen size increase but don't want something too big. In also on wit bye screen staying the same size.
Better battery life would be good but not at the expense of weight. Solar charging would be cool but probably a gimmick at this point.
The headphone jack is fine to me where it is but whatever if they move it.
I think Apple maps gets better all the time and since most of that is server side it can improve without needing a new device or iOS version.

Could you tell us a bit more about what you would like to see?

May I be the first to suggest that perhaps you are uninterested in NFC, Wi-Fi Direct and Miracast because you have never had them? I neither wanted NFC until I had a phone with it and decided to try it out a little.

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site

May I be the first to suggest that perhaps you are uninterested in NFC, Wi-Fi Direct and Miracast because you have never had them? I neither wanted NFC until I had a phone with it and decided to try it out a little.

I had the Nexus 4, with the official Nexus/LG Qi wireless charging orb, and NFC.

I found the wireless charging to be kind of a gimmick. I used it, sure. But I didn't find it more or less convenient than plugging in. The charger has to be plugged in, so it's not impacting mobility while charging. If anything, it negatively impacts usability while charging, where with a corded charge I can pick up and use the device within range of the cord's length... with wireless, I have to use the device without moving it, or interrupt the charging process by picking the device up off the charging base.

I guess I can see the point, if your device manages battery life horribly. It helps to just drop your phone on the charger whenever you'd normally just be setting it down... But with my iPhone 2G, 3G, 4, and now 5S, which all would charge from 0% to 100% in like an hour and a half... and usually only need to be charged once every day and a half or two days... wireless charging is the answer to a question no one asked.

NFC and Google Wallet was OK. I used it to buy coffee and pay for junk at the gas station a few times. File sharing with my roommate's Galaxy SIII wasn't life changing.

In short, I've used these features in the past. I do not use these features now as my iPhone doesn't support them... and I don't miss them. At. All.

Xopher

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
NFC is one of those things I think it is going to take Apple to bring out as a better standard - mostly because of the adaptation rate.

Samsung has a head start on using NFC for transferring files, but it really only works best when transferring between Samsung devices. It's hit or miss when trying to use it with another device. BlackBerry also works well between BlackBerry devices, but is hit or miss when using it with another device.

Some of the things that make it handy is profile changing. I have tags in my house. I have one by the garage door. I tap my phone as I leave the house and it turns off wifi, turns on bluetooth, adjusts brightness and volume. I tap another when I get home and it turns off bluetooth, turns on wifi, and adjusts brightness and volume.

The new Sony EX10 lens camera uses NFC to connect Android phones to the lens. Just tap the lens and it connects. The lens already works with iPhone, but has to be connected manually. It just shows that NFC has the ability to be used for quite a number of things.

I really do think that if NFC was added to the next iPhone, there would be more accessories adding NFC connectivity, and other ways to adapt the technology.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Just because people don't own a smart phone with NFC capabilities doesn't mean the technology is unfamiliar to them. PayPass stations have been employed for years now, and I've used card scanners at stores instead of swiping my debit card. It's all essentially the same technology, regardless of what medium it's found on. That said, NFC is still in it's infant stages, and Apple typically doesn't get on these tech band wagons until the function itself is polished, widely used, and ultimately SAFE. There are still many safe guards that are not in place yet to call NFC a safer form of commerce than a simple swipe and pin entry. I feel very strongly that NFC will eventually find its way to an iPhone, but to be 100% honest, regardless of how much you may use it, or how many major metropolitan areas may have it available sporadically...the technology is still, again, in the infant stages.

This doesn't mean people shouldn't want it...if you use it and you like it, why wouldn't you want it? Let's be real here though, even you, a person who truly likes the tech knows that it's still not all that widely adapted yet, and certainly isn't a house hold name as of now.

Brutal Efficiency

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I had the Nexus 4, with the official Nexus/LG Qi wireless charging orb, and NFC.

I found the wireless charging to be kind of a gimmick. I used it, sure. But I didn't find it more or less convenient than plugging in. The charger has to be plugged in, so it's not impacting mobility while charging. If anything, it negatively impacts usability while charging, where with a corded charge I can pick up and use the device within range of the cord's length... with wireless, I have to use the device without moving it, or interrupt the charging process by picking the device up off the charging base.

I guess I can see the point, if your device manages battery life horribly. It helps to just drop your phone on the charger whenever you'd normally just be setting it down... But with my iPhone 2G, 3G, 4, and now 5S, which all would charge from 0% to 100% in like an hour and a half... and usually only need to be charged once every day and a half or two days... wireless charging is the answer to a question no one asked.

NFC and Google Wallet was OK. I used it to buy coffee and pay for junk at the gas station a few times. File sharing with my roommate's Galaxy SIII wasn't life changing.

In short, I've used these features in the past. I do not use these features now as my iPhone doesn't support them... and I don't miss them. At. All.

Well, I installed Qi Wireless Charging into my tables and desks under the surface so that it would be able to charge NY device by just sering it down in a table. Super convenient and non-invasive!!!!

Then I learned that Wireless Charing for my device was a Verizon exclusive. Sucks for me, cause yanno, I'm Australian

Brutal Efficiency

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Just because people don't own a smart phone with NFC capabilities doesn't mean the technology is unfamiliar to them. PayPass stations have been employed for years now, and I've used card scanners at stores instead of swiping my debit card. It's all essentially the same technology, regardless of what medium it's found on. That said, NFC is still in it's infant stages, and Apple typically doesn't get on these tech band wagons until the function itself is polished, widely used, and ultimately SAFE. There are still many safe guards that are not in place yet to call NFC a safer form of commerce than a simple swipe and pin entry. I feel very strongly that NFC will eventually find its way to an iPhone, but to be 100% honest, regardless of how much you may use it, or how many major metropolitan areas may have it available sporadically...the technology is still, again, in the infant stages.

This doesn't mean people shouldn't want it...if you use it and you like it, why wouldn't you want it? Let's be real here though, even you, a person who truly likes the tech knows that it's still not all that widely adapted yet, and certainly isn't a house hold name as of now.

It will have a hard time becoming a well known standard if brands like Apple haven't jumped on the bandwagon.

I personally think that maybe Apple may build their own version, but will be slightly different and non-compatible. By Apple making their devices on par, but incompatible with the rest of the world, they further lock their users into their ecosystem. I'm not using that as a bad point. It's an excellent strategy that many other brands do. BlackBerry used BBM to lock people into their ecosystem. It worked, until about 2011 when things like WhatsApp started taking off. That's why they didn't want to make it cross platform earlier, because they feared their user base would flock to iOS and Android. Now BlackBerry 10 has legs, and BBM and BlackBerry 10 can stand on their own, separately. It still kind locks people in with Voice Call, Video Call, Screen Share, Channels. I know a few iOS user's not wanting to switch for the fear of losing iMessenger, a system that I don't think we will ever see cross platform.

elvisx77

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
1. The world wide GSM system has a feature that when you call a number and if that number already on another successful call, it shows a message on the display " waiting..." (Or something similar). iOS doesn't have this feature.

2. I know it's hard to include the whole siri package offline. But it would be nice to have a fixed command to enable "data" when the phone is not connected to Internet. And iOS doesn't have quick access button to enable data which is a big drawback.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using iMore Forums mobile app

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
In addition to many of the suggestions and ideas above:
1. My Documents. Expose a file system. Doesn't have to be root level, but something that is standardized across Windows and OS X.
2. Additional Toggles for Control Center. As someone noted earlier, if max toggle quantity is fixed, then allow users to choose which ones are important to them. I'd like to see one for Privacy/Location Services and remove Calculator.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
It will have a hard time becoming a well known standard if brands like Apple haven't jumped on the bandwagon.

I personally think that maybe Apple may build their own version, but will be slightly different and non-compatible. By Apple making their devices on par, but incompatible with the rest of the world, they further lock their users into their ecosystem. I'm not using that as a bad point. It's an excellent strategy that many other brands do. BlackBerry used BBM to lock people into their ecosystem. It worked, until about 2011 when things like WhatsApp started taking off. That's why they didn't want to make it cross platform earlier, because they feared their user base would flock to iOS and Android. Now BlackBerry 10 has legs, and BBM and BlackBerry 10 can stand on their own, separately. It still kind locks people in with Voice Call, Video Call, Screen Share, Channels. I know a few iOS user's not wanting to switch for the fear of losing iMessenger, a system that I don't think we will ever see cross platform.

You are trying to equate Apple's approach to Blackberry's stance...the two scenarios are so drastically different that it makes the point almost moot. RIM never found a market other than smart phones where their products were successful, so this "ecosystem" was already limited from the start...they had devices that were popular because there was nothing else to compare to them when it came to raw numbers, and even in more recent years, when they tried to venture out into the tablet world and such, their development just wasn't on par.

Apple's ecosystem, by comparison, is ENORMOUS. Top tier smart phones, tablets, notebook computers, desktops and MP3 players...all of these things intertwined with each other in a REAL ecosystem. iMessage doesn't need to go cross platform...because the chances that someone in any household has an Apple product that can use it is very high, given the amount of different devices that use them that also share in the top share of consumer product sales. Blackberry never found this...even in their prime when their phones were flying off shelves.

Blackberry is not comparable in this way, so trying to apply the same logic between the two doesn't really make sense. BB10 doesn't have legs, BB10 was a decent OS release from a company circling the drain. I don't think we'll ever see the full potential of BB10 because there won't be enough money to develop it any further than where it is...even the most loyal of Blackberry fans see this, and I'm personally not happy about it at all, it just means the boys at the top can kick their feet up instead of pushing harder to do better than a relevant "new comer" (for lack of better term) in Blackberry's newest offerings.

NFC is going to become an industry standard, it has to, it's an extremely user friendly way to connecting things from headsets to credit cards...what people unfamiliar with Apple products have to realize is that Apple has never been one to just adopt these technologies until they were very eagerly sought after and up to a specific standard, and NFC (while close) isn't quite there yet...I think it has a lot to do with security, but in the grand scheme of things, it probably does need a boost from a device like the iPhone to get it in the hands of a big chunk of the market. It kind of lends itself to an idea of just how much control companies like Apple actually have. You put NFC on the iPhone, and it will become an industry standard, and it will do so almost immediately. The tech isn't ready, and that's why it hasn't happened yet.