Apple just works?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
did you read my comment or just looked at the picture?

I read your comment, and I'm still a bit confused as to the point of your "complaint"...are you just randomly complaining that the iPhone isn't natively capable of being a mass storage device by now? If so, what exactly are you trying to import onto the iPhone that you would need this kind of functionality so badly in a native form (since it's perfectly capable of doing it after a jailbreak). Moving media files to the iPhone? Why would Apple even consider a generic mass storage feature for this function when they are so heavily invested in iTunes, which does the same thing in a more protected environment? Moving documents to the iPhone? This is also something done within the native infrastructure through an assortment of apps...and why? Again, to protect the end user experience with iOS from buggy performance present on ANY other device running an OS that allows for mass storage functionality.

Bottom line here is that mass storage is covered by Apple in ways that protect the device AND the user from the negative aspects associated with just a "free reign" mass storage function...and putting all that aside, you can still make the iPhone a mass storage device if you jailbreak it, so arguing that it's not possible and Apple is being too "controlling" is a moot point anyways.

It would seem that you skipped over the conversation yourself, and just kind of plugged your opinion in there without really investing into the conversation...that's fine and all, but don't be surprised when people question your post afterwards.

bizzyqu

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Mass storage is the easiest and fastest way to manage files in my opinion. On most devices you have a choice of using a syncing program like itunes or similar. The option to have mass storage is very important though as well especially for managing all sorts of files not just limited to music such as pictures, videos, documents, and other sharing other specialized files.

A friend of mine is a pharmacist and they have to use an iPad to manage inventories at multiple locations using a specific app. In order for her to offload the files she needed to download a special program to her computer and then use that to move the files off. All that program did was enable mass storage, something apple could easily allow for as an option on the device itself.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Mass storage is the easiest and fastest way to manage files in my opinion. On most devices you have a choice of using a syncing program like itunes or similar. The option to have mass storage is very important though as well especially for managing all sorts of files not just limited to music such as pictures, videos, documents, and other sharing other specialized files.

A friend of mine is a pharmacist and they have to use an iPad to manage inventories at multiple locations using a specific app. In order for her to offload the files she needed to download a special program to her computer and then use that to move the files off. All that program did was enable mass storage, something apple could easily allow for as an option on the device itself.

Despite those who say it's mean or rude, there are times and/or situations where the correct answer is “Sorry, but that's how it works. If you don't like it, buy something else." This is one of those moments.

bizzyqu

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Despite those who say it's mean or rude, there are times and/or situations where the correct answer is “Sorry, but that's how it works. If you don't like it, buy something else." This is one of those moments.

I disagree, of course that is how it currently works, but that doesn't mean any and all discussion about how an experience can be improved is moot because the feature doesn't exists. Speculation and suggestions for improvements is one of the key aspects of a forum. Recently if you wanted a smaller tablet running iOS, multitasking on iOS, native voice control on iOS, a 4G phone running iOS, etc, the answer could have been from someone "Sorry, but that's how it works..."

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

While it presents several convenience factors (as you listed), it also opens the door for several malicious issues too...this is the primary reason why Apple doesn't offer mass storage modes natively for any of the iOS devices (as far as it has been explained to this point, some 6 years after the initial iPhone release). And again, I'm still not sure why this is still an issue to you (unless you're just debating it for the sake of doing so), because the ability to use a mass storage mode IS available to the consumer, it's just not a native function.

Apple is invested into iTunes...which is where 90% of the things you'd need "mass storage mode" would be relevant. They made this software and management program so that they could not only keep iOS clean and polished, but also so that they could maintain their relationships with the music labels, which presents the opportunity to get more profits by putting consumers into a program that not only manages their device, but does so in an indirect marketing environment. Google has been doing it ever since they started developing things outside of search engines...it's simple business here...find ways of making money outside of direct consumer sales and you have the ability to further develop products without having to possibly push consumer bases away because of pricing.

This is not difficult to understand man...whether you agree with it or not. Apple doesn't offer mass storage options natively. Move on.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox