Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 70
Like Tree37Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    xMatter's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    297 Posts
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts

    Default Themes On iOS

    Years ago, I developed themes for BlackBerry, some free and some for money through AppWorld. By adding something as simple as a theme, the whole experience change IMO. With iOS 7 out (I did not upgrade yet), plenty of users expressed their dislike for the update based on the UI. My whole point of this post is, does anyone out there think Apple will EVER allow developers to create a simple theme overlay for the iOS UI???

    I know I would be sold immediately on whatever iOS product because Apple makes THE BEST hardware... hands down! There is just something about iOS 7 that I cannot push myself to update.
  2. #2  
    John Yester's Avatar

    Posts
    3,474 Posts
    Global Posts
    14,991 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.x.x

    Default Re: Themes On iOS

    No I don't think they will
    John Yester
    Moderator Team Leader, iMore.com


    jmr1015 likes this.
  3. #3  
    Paradocks's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    152 Posts
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts

    Default Re: Themes On iOS

    Not going to happen.
    jmr1015 likes this.
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    xMatter's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    297 Posts
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts

    Default Re: Themes On iOS

    Never??? I would like to think that Apple will adopt some user customization to stay competitive in the current market. I mean... it's a simple tweak to allow a change of colors and icons. Themes will in no way make Apple open source like Google, but would definitely give them an edge. Themes would also not change how the operating system works or functions, just the look. Apple cannot be that closed minded to not consider themes.
  5. #5  
    sting7k's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,530 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,255 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.2

    Default Re: Themes On iOS

    Quote Originally Posted by xMatter View Post
    Years ago, I developed themes for BlackBerry, some free and some for money through AppWorld. By adding something as simple as a theme, the whole experience change IMO. With iOS 7 out (I did not upgrade yet), plenty of users expressed their dislike for the update based on the UI. My whole point of this post is, does anyone out there think Apple will EVER allow developers to create a simple theme overlay for the iOS UI???

    I know I would be sold immediately on whatever iOS product because Apple makes THE BEST hardware... hands down! There is just something about iOS 7 that I cannot push myself to update.
    My problem with themes was that after I spent all day customizing my Android phone I would then forget what I did out in the wild. When it came time that I really need to use the phone the theme was just in my way. I always ended up reverting to stock anyway.

    Apple and Google spend tons of money to make the UI on their devices highly functional. No offense but I'm not interested in something someone cobbled together in their basement just because they could.

    I don't see Apple allowing themes.
    opeycunningham likes this.
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    xMatter's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    297 Posts
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts

    Default Re: Themes On iOS

    I understand your point. I am running iOS 7 on my Mini and the "Invert Colors" changes the look completely. I actually prefer this to the regular UI. To prevent "cobbling together", maybe Apple should a theme color palette with their OS.
  7. #7  
    SeanHRCC's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    7,981 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,983 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

    Default Re: Themes On iOS

    Quote Originally Posted by xMatter View Post
    Never??? I would like to think that Apple will adopt some user customization to stay competitive in the current market. I mean... it's a simple tweak to allow a change of colors and icons. Themes will in no way make Apple open source like Google, but would definitely give them an edge. Themes would also not change how the operating system works or functions, just the look. Apple cannot be that closed minded to not consider themes.
    And there it is...lol. Apple doesn't need to adopt it to "stay competitive", they are front runners without it.

    Not to mention, theming is one of the biggest draws to jailbreaking, so there's really no reason for Apple to go through all the bugs and issues that come with theme customization when a person can easily achieve such by jailbreaking their device.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    BLiNK and opeycunningham like this.
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    xMatter's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    297 Posts
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts

    Default Re: Themes On iOS

    Front runners for now... BLACKBERRY ring a bell? Technology is all about competition and innovation (which will burst at some point). Customization is going to be the king, and this is where Apple falls short. You can at minimum change the color scheme in WP.
  9. #9  
    SeanHRCC's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    7,981 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,983 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

    Default Re: Themes On iOS

    Quote Originally Posted by xMatter View Post
    Front runners for now... BLACKBERRY ring a bell? Technology is all about competition and innovation (which will burst at some point). Customization is going to be the king, and this is where Apple falls short. You can at minimum change the color scheme in WP.
    I'm not getting dragged into this argument outside of this...people have said for years that Apple was "falling off" and falling "behind", they said that people are losing interest in Apple products because they aren't more "customizable" (with things like themes, as you mentioned)...people say all these things, but year after year after year, the iPhone is the best selling smart phone pound for pound compared to any individual smart phone on the market.

    Blackberry's downfall wasn't lack of customization or feature sets that were too narrow compared to the rest of the market. Blackberry failed because they made piece of junk phones on a decade old, stagnant OS and when they finally saw the light, they brought a whole new experience to the table with modern devices and a new OS, but it was too little too late. Blackberry never enjoyed the kind of consumer device success that Apple did, even in their golden days...they enjoyed success and being a front runner for quite a long time, but nothing like what Apple has across the spectrum, not just with the iPhone and iOS.

    There's nothing "innovative" about customizable themes, I mean you have to face it, Android phones have offered near limitless native customization options on their devices for the better part of 5 years now, but they still can't compete with an iPhone launch.

    Again, you can disagree all you want to but the proof is in the pudding...Apple doesn't need to implement things like customizable themes to be "competitive", you just feel they lack competitiveness because YOU want theme options. It's not as big a demand as you think my friend...and even saying that, the iPhone isn't locked out of theme options in the first place, you just have to jailbreak the device in order to open up those options.

    So not only are the options unnecessary for competitiveness, but in the end, they're still available to iPhone users if they choose to do so. If you go and read polls about jailbreaking though, I think you'll see that a pretty staggering majority of iPhone users don't care about this customization demand, and don't jailbreak their devices because of such.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
  10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  
    xMatter's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    297 Posts
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts

    Default Re: Themes On iOS

    I apologize if it felt like I was starting an argument. While I agree with you 100% on your statements about BB and iPhone being the top selling phone.

    I recant "competitive" with my OP, I was simply trying to say this:

    People do care what their phone's UI looks like, iOS was the fastest and most downloaded update in Apple's history. Do you think that is because of internal functions the OS can perform, or that is it 64-bit capable? IMO, 90% of iPhone users don't know or don't car about that. They care of the front facing user experience. Android has live wallpapers, so Apple may or may not have made Parallax to compete in this scenario. I think it would be a smart move on Apple's part to include a simple theme (maybe just color schemes) switcher. It would add more appeal just like Parallax.

    Do you at least see my point here?
  11. #11  
    born2ride41's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts

    Default Re: Themes On iOS

    I don't think blackberry had piece of junk phones I think they where great and ahead of most of the others until after the blackberry curve. After that is when they failed to realize speed and screen size was gonna be king but I LovEd my BB Curve.
    opeycunningham likes this.
  12. #12  
    SeanHRCC's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    7,981 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,983 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

    Default Re: Themes On iOS

    Quote Originally Posted by born2ride41 View Post
    I don't think blackberry had piece of junk phones I think they where great and ahead of most of the others until after the blackberry curve. After that is when they failed to realize speed and screen size was gonna be king but I LovEd my BB Curve.
    Certainly...they were ahead of their time against a sea of TRULY junk phones. But compared to what they were capable of (what we've seen over the last year), it strikes me as unacceptable that a company like RIM/Blackberry would continue making phones like the Storm...which was honestly almost a comical attempt at touch screen technology. Now don't get me wrong, when Blackberry was king, I had quite a few of their devices, including about 3 Pearls and 4-5 Curves...but NONE of them worked properly, they all had major issues, the OS was just complete crap, the navigation of the devices was so wonky that even then, before the time of modern smart phones, I thought to myself "God, I hope someone does better some day..."

    All things considered, and looking back at what was offered...the device Blackberry released vs. what they were full capable of were so far apart it was ridiculous. Imagine those phones, with an OS that was clean and precise, that didn't suffer from the battery pull plagues and lack of application support. It could have been glorious...and that was my point, Blackberry never got to that point...Apple hit that point almost IMMEDIATELY after the iPhone was initially released. People went "Holy sh*t...this is the future."

    Quote Originally Posted by xMatter View Post
    I apologize if it felt like I was starting an argument. While I agree with you 100% on your statements about BB and iPhone being the top selling phone.

    I recant "competitive" with my OP, I was simply trying to say this:

    People do care what their phone's UI looks like, iOS was the fastest and most downloaded update in Apple's history. Do you think that is because of internal functions the OS can perform, or that is it 64-bit capable? IMO, 90% of iPhone users don't know or don't car about that. They care of the front facing user experience. Android has live wallpapers, so Apple may or may not have made Parallax to compete in this scenario. I think it would be a smart move on Apple's part to include a simple theme (maybe just color schemes) switcher. It would add more appeal just like Parallax.

    Do you at least see my point here?
    I can't argue against the logic that these things would make the iPhone more attractive for some people, and I completely understand your view point about the introduction of further options for the end user when it comes to the iPhone...my ONLY hang up was with the comment about Apple's competitiveness in regards to these additions...I have no issue with the idea of bringing the stuff to the device, I just completely disagree with the idea that Apple needs them to be competitive (for previously mentioned reasons).
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    opeycunningham likes this.
  13. #13  
    born2ride41's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts

    Default Re: Themes On iOS

    Lol yes they definitely had their flaws numerous battery pulls and the sometimes 5 Min wait times to reboot...just to name a few lol
  14. #14  
    sashlon's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    19 Posts
    Global Posts
    271 Global Posts

    Default Re: Themes On iOS

    Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    And there it is...lol. Apple doesn't need to adopt it to "stay competitive", they are front runners without it.
    Lol, in a time when 70% of the smartphones sold worldwide are Android, how can you say that and not feel kind of silly.
  15. #15  
    Jerry_'s Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    52 Posts

    Default Re: Themes On iOS

    One of the reasons for not yet having moved my iOS devices to iOS7 is indeed the new UI.

    While being technically minded and definitely paying care to technical aspects, even for me the UI is a major factor, when deciding to migrate.

    Having used iOS now for a number of main versions I feel that Apple is moving away from its position of a stylish interface into a massproduct. While this obviously does not change any technical feature, it however shows a trend where Apple products loose their exclusive and innovative aspects for the sake of being closer to other OS (not to name any), eventually with the expected aim to make the shift to Apple devices smoother. As a result I don't see adding market shares for Apple so, but rather it becoming a uniformish system sinking in the mass of other OS (except for their pricepolicy).

    Therefor I would definitely support the idea of being able to customise my themes.

    As mentioned before themes require changes in user habits, and offering the posibility to keep themes f.i. as in previous iOS version would rather allow for a smoother transition and thereore probably for a higher acceptance of new versions.
  16. #16  
    jmr1015's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    418 Posts
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts

    Default Re: Themes On iOS

    I'm gonna agree with others here and say it probably won't ever happen... and I'm 100% okay with that.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Themes On iOS

    I've had phones where I could change the themes, drove me nuts, either it was buggy, or lag, battery drains. Choice is good, but I like not having to worry about it.
    opeycunningham likes this.
  18. Thread AuthorThread Author   #18  
    xMatter's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    297 Posts
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts

    Default Re: Themes On iOS

    Apple has done some things that most thought would never happen. A bigger screen for one, where Jobs said 3.5 is the ideal size. An iPad Mini, to offer something to more customers. Apple is testing out bigger screen sizes as we speak and what is the main reason of that? To offer choice? To offer what other companies are offering? So to say it will NEVER happen is a little extreme based the trend switch that Apple has been doing the last couple of years. All companies need to stay competitive one way or another.

    You mention about bugs with themes, iOS 7 has bugs, iOS 6 had bugs, etc... everything has bugs. So it would not hurt Apple at all for them to create their own theme/color toggle. They have just done this with their 5c, a cheaper model (competitive????) and various colors.
  19. #19  
    BLiNK's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,162 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,509 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

    Default Re: Themes On iOS

    what's up with the obsession of themes?

    when i would jailbreak even that became "boring" and daunting. how long do you actually stare at your OS to even care about a theme
  20. #20  
    Karenkcoulter's Avatar

    Posts
    5,063 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,068 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

    Default Re: Themes On iOS

    Quote Originally Posted by BLiNK View Post
    what's up with the obsession of themes?

    when i would jailbreak even that became "boring" and daunting. how long do you actually stare at your OS to even care about a theme
    I mostly agree here. When I'm on my phone, I spend 99% of the time in an app so changing the theme has no appeal to me (and I have jailbroken my iPhone in the past and tried it).
    Thanked by:
    mac2013 (10-12-2013)
    mac2013 likes this.
  21. #21  
    JustMe'D's Avatar

    Posts
    17,227 Posts
    Global Posts
    17,437 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4

    Default Re: Themes On iOS

    To answer your initial question, "does anyone out there think Apple will EVER allow developers to create a simple theme overlay for the iOS UI???", my answer is no, I do not think they will allow it.
  22. #22  
    SeanHRCC's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    7,981 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,983 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

    Default Re: Themes On iOS

    Quote Originally Posted by sashlon View Post
    Lol, in a time when 70% of the smartphones sold worldwide are Android, how can you say that and not feel kind of silly.
    Because I have an understanding of what that arbitrary "70%" number actually represents. You seem to have a lack of true understanding about this number though, given your comment...when you take an OS and you slap it on every kind of phone made (from the cheapest junk to the highest end upper tier smart phone), of course you're going to find Android on all those phones. When you take the iPhone and you compare it to ANY individual phone, you realize how "silly" YOUR comment really is.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
  23. #23  
    sashlon's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    19 Posts
    Global Posts
    271 Global Posts

    Default Re: Themes On iOS

    Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    Because I have an understanding of what that arbitrary "70%" number actually represents. You seem to have a lack of true understanding about this number though, given your comment...when you take an OS and you slap it on every kind of phone made (from the cheapest junk to the highest end upper tier smart phone), of course you're going to find Android on all those phones. When you take the iPhone and you compare it to ANY individual phone, you realize how "silly" YOUR comment really is.
    Not at all.

    You claimed Apple was the 'front runner'. This is clearly not the case. Even if you only count the high-end devices, Android would be the true 'front runner'. I'm not arguing quality, just correcting a very erroneous remark.

    As a very new iOS user, let me tell you that after 2 days with my first ever iOS device (iPad 4), I think the lack of any customisation is a problem. Now, of course I knew this going in, but I still don't like it at all.
  24. #24  
    iEd
    iEd is offline
    iEd's Avatar
    iMore Guru

    Posts
    1,742 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,888 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7

    Default Re: Themes On iOS

    Themes are way overrated. Live Wallpapers are battery killers. The battery suffers from a lot of customization and things jumping around on the screen.

    Changing keyboards in Android was terrible in my experience. They never ran well with the OS they crashed all the time. It was cute for about 2 weeks.

    Having a OS that doesn't allow access to everything insures quality. Yes there are bugs in iOS 7 but of all the mobile OS's I have had experience with iOS is by far the least buggy.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Stevie Jobs was the illest and-droid is played out like Arnold wondering "What you talking about Willis?"
  25. #25  
    madeinhb's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    104 Posts
    Global Posts
    199 Global Posts

    Default Re: Themes On iOS

    I don't need themes but being able to change the white to black would be nice.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. IOS 7 mail "unread" count incorrect
    By MrMars in forum iOS 7
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-22-2014, 08:53 AM
  2. Native Camera app crash on IOS 7
    By Ray Sivley in forum iPhone 4S
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-21-2014, 10:35 PM
  3. Anybody having issues with Evernote on their ipad?
    By blessed2bamommie in forum iPhone Apps & Games
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-11-2013, 08:37 PM
  4. Can I go back to iOS 6?
    By iMore Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-11-2013, 11:35 AM
  5. No iTunes Radio on my iPad
    By iMore Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-11-2013, 10:35 AM

Posting Permissions

B