Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree144Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3.

Question iOS devices are not for tech savvy...?

I don't understand the idea that if you're not tech savvy, you would essentially end up using iOS As if iOS is a simple gadget that does nothing but calls and emails. I hope it means something else, but iPhones and iPads were always and are even more powerful devices now. My iPad is used primarily to mix tracks (for fun), but I know a couple who use "garage band" like they own a studio. Secondary, with a help of a stylus - photoshop can come with me to the woods, and trips (take a photo of highway 1 and color correct, adjust, then splat something dramatic into it - all on the spot). Then there's gaming, I still play one game on PC - Sim City 4, but all driving games, first shooters, are now replaced by iPad versions - because it's more comfortable on couch. Have not had a console of any type for ever now. With iWork suite - I'm moving all my invoices to iPad, as it easier to fax/email from iPad and get paid on the spot, than to come home, email/mail and wait for a check.

If the few things I described above aren't tech savvy worthy tasks, then can someone explain what they do on a "real" tech device? Root and Change ROM's? Well u can jail break iOS and probably accomplish more tasks anyway. Change icons, font, buttons? That's just tinkering - nothing useful. Pirate media? Really? What am I missing, or how much more productive can I be on a different platform/ecosystem?

(Please, no troll-wars, thanks.)
    Don't mess with a man who has more faith than he has choices. -me
    Thanked by:
    CORYK333 (10-05-2013), MountandJew (10-20-2013)

Global Posts
    6,987 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Default Re: iOS devices are not for tech savvy...?

I'd describe those as productive, not technical, uses of the iPad. But not easy and not simple to be sure.

I'd consider flashing ROMs/jail breaking to be technical but simple/easy because the vast majority of people who do it are just following a set of instructions.

I would consider myself a very technical person by trade (Java and web development pay the bills). I choose iOS because I like it and it works better for me. I can, and have, jail broken my iDevices but usually quickly return to stock because it doesn't offer anything I really care about.

People who claim that iOS is just for the non-technical are just trying to start an argument.
    Thanked by:
    JustMe'D (09-30-2013), Laura Knotek (09-30-2013)
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,899 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

This is a ridiculous notion.

I consider myself a VERY tech savvy person...I love electronics, I love taking them apart, I love putting together systems of all sorts (computers, home theater, etc), I even fixed one of my plasma TV's that went bad a couple of years ago with no clue what was going on except a blank screen (turned out to be a few bad capacitors). I love tech numbers as much as I love horsepower numbers in car stats. I get giddy over the idea that a power house computers is coming out in the Mac world, and I love seeing what the newest smart phone devices are bringing to the table that really and truly are starting to rival personal computers on the market.

There's nothing technically advanced about jailbreaking or rooting/flashing a phone...there's nothing technically advanced about custom building a computer. Kids do this stuff these days.

I love technology. And I love my iPhone and iPad. Why? Because they are amazing devices. They can take smaller #'s and make bigger experiences. To me, that makes these iOS devices astoundingly attractive to the tech savvy, for many reasons, but one that really sticks out to me...how does Apple do it year after year?
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    17,146 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1.2

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    This is a ridiculous notion.

I consider myself a VERY tech savvy person...I love electronics, I love taking them apart, I love putting together systems of all sorts (computers, home theater, etc), I even fixed one of my plasma TV's that went bad a couple of years ago with no clue what was going on except a blank screen (turned out to be a few bad capacitors). I love tech numbers as much as I love horsepower numbers in car stats. I get giddy over the idea that a power house computers is coming out in the Mac world, and I love seeing what the newest smart phone devices are bringing to the table that really and truly are starting to rival personal computers on the market.

There's nothing technically advanced about jailbreaking or rooting/flashing a phone...there's nothing technically advanced about custom building a computer. Kids do this stuff these days.

I love technology. And I love my iPhone and iPad. Why? Because they are amazing devices. They can take smaller #'s and make bigger experiences. To me, that makes these iOS devices astoundingly attractive to the tech savvy, for many reasons, but one that really sticks out to me...how does Apple do it year after year?
    Very good assessment of your take on this subject vs the OP and this is not saying anything bad about the OP! Good job for both.
    Last edited by Jaguarr40; 09-30-2013 at 06:17 PM.
    ~JAG~
    Member Of iMore & Mobile Nations!
    In Memory Of Steve Jobs ... Rest In iPeace

iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,523 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Alik Malix View Post
    I don't understand the idea that if you're not tech savvy, you would essentially end up using iOS As if iOS is a simple gadget that does nothing but calls and emails. I hope it means something else, but iPhones and iPads were always and are even more powerful devices now. My iPad is used primarily to mix tracks (for fun), but I know a couple who use "garage band" like they own a studio. Secondary, with a help of a stylus - photoshop can come with me to the woods, and trips (take a photo of highway 1 and color correct, adjust, then splat something dramatic into it - all on the spot). Then there's gaming, I still play one game on PC - Sim City 4, but all driving games, first shooters, are now replaced by iPad versions - because it's more comfortable on couch. Have not had a console of any type for ever now. With iWork suite - I'm moving all my invoices to iPad, as it easier to fax/email from iPad and get paid on the spot, than to come home, email/mail and wait for a check.

If the few things I described above aren't tech savvy worthy tasks, then can someone explain what they do on a "real" tech device? Root and Change ROM's? Well u can jail break iOS and probably accomplish more tasks anyway. Change icons, font, buttons? That's just tinkering - nothing useful. Pirate media? Really? What am I missing, or how much more productive can I be on a different platform/ecosystem?

You should stop basing your phone choices on what others think of it or don't think of it. Who cares if some don't think it's a tech savy device? Their loss.

If you enjoy your iPhone that's all that matters.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    366 Global Posts

The title is a little misleading and contradicts the first sentence. I'm not sure tech savvy is the right term, but I'll use it too.

Essentially though, what OS is easier than tapping an app, pressing the home button. Tapping the app, pressing the home button. No menus, no real options except what's provided in the app itself.

Tech savvy people are able to use the apps to their fullest. Non-tech savvy just worry about the home button.

iOS is simple, but not basic.
    JustMe'D likes this.
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3.

Oruginal OP here.
    What I was trying to ask everyone is, apart from the differences in different platforms (that typically make it easier or quicker to accomplish tasks), can u be more or less productive in one platform vs the rest. I pointed out a few examples above, I was hoping to see more of these examples from all mobile platforms.

Every fanboy (including me) holds on to his optimization vs specs, manufacturer support vs community, easy vs choice, etc, etc. But when it comes to real needs of life is there really a diffference given that there are plethora of apps on every side, and individual cons and pros.

Thanks for the replies, so far.
    Don't mess with a man who has more faith than he has choices. -me
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    544 Global Posts

Fanboys will be fanboys.

No matter what the platform, be it Chevy vs Ford, Ferrari vs Lamborghini, Mac vs PC, XBox vs Playstation, Republican vs Democrat, or iOS vs Android... people who blindly follow one side, will always try to justify their reasoning to the masses and especially their competition. Sometimes, I think the fanboys are trying to convince themselves more than anyone else that their view is the "best" view, when in reality, there is no "best" of anything... only what is right for you.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    689 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jmr1015 View Post
    Fanboys will be fanboys.

No matter what the platform, be it Chevy vs Ford, Ferrari vs Lamborghini, Mac vs PC, XBox vs Playstation, Republican vs Democrat, or iOS vs Android... people who blindly follow one side, will always try to justify their reasoning to the masses and especially their competition. Sometimes, I think the fanboys are trying to convince themselves more than anyone else that their view is the "best" view, when in reality, there is no "best" of anything... only what is right for you.
    I agree with you about fanboys and fangirls trying to convince themselves more than others, but it goes farther than that. Many of these folks base their self esteem on what type of car they drive, phone they use, political party they belong to, and they are vocal because of this need to be better than someone else. That is very sad.
    BB Curve 8330-->BB Storm 9530-->BB Storm 2 9550-->BB Bold 9650-->Apple iPhone 4s-->Apple iPhone 5s

Global Posts
    22,235 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Oruginal OP here.
    What I was trying to ask everyone is, apart from the differences in different platforms (that typically make it easier or quicker to accomplish tasks), can u be more or less productive in one platform vs the rest. I pointed out a few examples above, I was hoping to see more of these examples from all mobile platforms.

Every fanboy (including me) holds on to his optimization vs specs, manufacturer support vs community, easy vs choice, etc, etc. But when it comes to real needs of life is there really a diffference given that there are plethora of apps on every side, and individual cons and pros.

Thanks for the replies, so far.
    The answer to your question, in my opinion, is based on the individual user. Some users will find that they're more productive with an iOS device, whereas others may find that they are more productive with a Blackberry. Of course, the same goes for Android, Windows Mobile, & Linux devices, and yes, there are pros and cons to them all. There are people who do view users of iOS devices, specifically the iPhone, as people who are not tech savvy or people who need simplicity, yet, they fail to recognize how many businesses and government agencies have adopted the iPhone because it allows them to maintain power, speed and security as well as the ability to continue or improve their current rate of productivity all while being simple to use.
    Last edited by JustMe'D; 10-01-2013 at 09:26 AM.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    5,730 Global Posts

So let me get this straight. You're worried about mainstream consumers thinking you're not tech savvy? That's like low income people calling you poor right?

Anyway, one could say that android users tend to be cheaper, less educated, and have lower income (as well as less tech savvy). And studies would probably (they have) support this.
    Fausty82 likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    332 Global Posts

In the end, it's all about getting a device which best suits your needs. That's really all that matters.

Let me give you a few examples of how my ios devices have served me well.

Shared photostream - as a teacher, I used this feature to upload a compilation of photos snapped during events and excursions. Pupils can then access these photos from links pasted to their class blog for their class reports. All these done with the tap of a few buttons on the bus journey back to school. Being under 13 years of age, my pupils are not allowed to access social media, so sites like Flickr are banned.

AirPlay mirroring - Once, we needed to project the scene of pupils performing live to the audience in the school hall. We lacked a video camera with a long enough cable. I hooked my MacBook Air (running airserver) to the hall projector, plugged in my mobile router, and broadcasted the scene wirelessly from my iPad's camera using the airplay mirroring function. (Note that an Apple TV would have worked just as well).

I also use my ipad to teach in the classroom (via airplay mirroring).

I don't consider myself tech-savvy by any means. Yet these ios devices have allowed me to do amazing stuff that many of my Android-using colleagues are struggling to replicate. Because it is so easy to use, I spend less time figuring out the interface, and more time actually doing productive stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Thanked by:
    Alik Malix (10-01-2013)
    JustMe'D and Alex_Hong like this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    373 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Coachbulldog View Post
    Many of these folks base their self esteem on what type of car they drive, phone they use, political party they belong to, and they are vocal because of this need to be better than someone else. That is very sad.
    I regret that I can only 'like' this post once. This gets to the very core of most fanboy flame wars.
    Thanked by:
    Coachbulldog (10-01-2013)
    JustMe'D likes this.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS6 on 4s

Haven't read the responses yet, but that was awesome!! Being someone who prefers iOS, but also has a few android devices.....a big pet peeve of mine is exactly what you stated. What irks me most are the average android blog visitors (the root/rom crowd) that think just bc they followed (someone else's) step-by-freaking-step guide on rooting there phone they now think they are Linus Torvald version2. Nope, sorry.....you just know how to read & couldn't code your way out of a paper bag!!! Don't get me wrong, programming/Linux/code/etc..... is not an easy thing to learn, but rooting/romming does not make you anymore "tech-savy" than the next user unless you are created it or actually figured out the process yourself. There are tech-savy users on every platform.......bc it's just a mobile OS preference, nothing more nothing less.
    Thanked by:
    Alik Malix (10-07-2013)
    jmr1015 likes this.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    11,767 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Sicks

iOS devices are not for tech savvy?

iOS devices are not for tech savvy...?-ce14b760-8c9e-4cb9-a0b1-b99f4e9f343f-1058-0000018125930f80_zpsa3724895.jpg
    Wut?
    Thanked by:
    Alik Malix (10-07-2013)
    iMore Intermediate

iOS is for every individual out there. From the computer nerds (like myself) who live by the 0's and 1's, to the old lady down the block who had no idea the iPhone had a camera to begin with. It's those traits that make it such a successful device. Anyone can pick one up and use it, or abuse it.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    267 Global Posts

I'll bite...I'm primarily a BlackBerry user...that is what works for ME. That being said, I've used just about every platform out there and although I wouldn't call myself a pro at any of them, I know enough to give my opinion I believe. To attempt to answer your questions as to why it is assumed that iOS devices are not for the "Tech Savvy" I have to think that it has something to do with the ease of use of all Apple products. Lets face it, I have literally seen my 3 year old pick up an iPhone and immediately understand and know how to use it. That is not to say that this is a bad thing and I am not knocking this ease of use one bit. But I think the general public wants to believe, or is being brainwashed to believe, that someone who is "Tech Savvy" is a "geek" or "nerd" too. So in order to align themselves with the everyday Joe and not alienate any potential customers, the notion that you don't have to be tech savvy to use an iOS device is put out there. This also isn't to say that tech savvy people cannot or should not use these devices but again, it is an attempt to be the norm. I think that iOS devices are great and work well for those that prefer that experience, whoever that may be. I won't get into a debate as to what each platform can do over the other better or at all, it simply isn't necessary to answer what I believe is the question. What it all boils down to is what works best for you. Do you think you are "tech savvy"? Great! Does that mean you shouldn't get an iOS device? Nope!

This may or may not have answered anything but it is my 2 cents.
    Thanked by:
    ghundiraj (10-29-2013)
    Anilu7 and ghundiraj like this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,887 Global Posts
    iOS Version

You know what, I'll agree with that. I use the iPhone because I don't care about customizing or modding. I just don't care anymore. I want it to work. I deal with "tech savy" phones all the time and they just don't work, or at a bare minimum don't work as good as my iPhone.
    Alik Malix likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    845 Global Posts

i don't think ios devices are for non tech savvy,this is just said by some users from other platform who are just feeling the heat of goodness ie is apple.
    love my ipad

Global Posts
    4,332 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I truly believe iOS has a very familiar experience, but that doesn't mean the people who use it are necessarily not tech savvy. It's true, people with no tech knowledge do find iOS devices a good introduction to smart mobile technology, but these two things aren't mutually exclusive...
    iMore Specialist

Global Posts
    1,479 Global Posts

Default iOS devices are not for tech savvy...?

To a certain degree I agree with you. iOS is very simple and tailored for people who don't want to be confused.
    But in say this, it doesn't mean if you choose iOS your somebody that Is not into technology.
    Look at my situation. I used a galaxy note for a few days, yes the product offered heaps of features that a technology person would admire.i read a couple of reviews that justified the device as one if the most advanced "phablet" device.

But you may see certain people who love technology that offer a more clean, simplified OS that works with precision like IOS 7.
    It by no means, means that the people that choose iOS are a technophobe.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

The concept of "tech savvy" is basically one to make one platform feel special by putting down another because they're not mature enough yet for the idea of multiple use cases. All of them have strengths, all of them have weaknesses, and some of the strength can be weaknesses for a different user.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    1,187 Global Posts

Saying that iOS devices are "simple and easy to use" doesn't mean that the OS isn't powerful. What it means is that Apple has been able to take a very powerful piece of technology and make it dead-easy to use and available to an insane amount of people. The iPhone is the smartphone that brought the smartphone into mainstream usage. Yes, though, I'd have to agree that the less tech-savvy people are more likely to pick up an iPhone or iPad, but it's not meant as an insult to Apple or its products.
    Thanked by:
    Alik Malix (10-23-2013)
    ghundiraj likes this.

Global Posts
    4,332 Global Posts
    iOS Version

People often equate foolproof interfaces with non-tech savvyness...

Global Posts
    11,886 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Speedygi View Post
    People often equate foolproof interfaces with non-tech savvyness...
    And those people are what I like to call... wrong. Ain't no such thing as "foolproof".
    Last edited by kch50428; 10-14-2013 at 11:02 PM.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    Speedygi and solitude1984 like this.
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast