iOS devices are not for tech savvy...?

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
BlackBerry 10 also provides side loading. I can side load any application from Android that I want straight onto my BlackBerry. Hypothetically, BlackBerry provides all BlackBerry 10 apps, and Android apps, BUT only if you see tech savvy enough to side load. This is more apps u than iOS and Windows Phone put together, but only available for tech savvy people.

Sideloading exists as a way for Android developers to load their apps should they chose to port them over to BB10. It's not a consumer facing OS feature, but it is being used by some BlackBerry owners to fill the app gap. BlackBerry can easily lock the Android runtime if they want (and I think they have in some of their newer 10.2 builds) in order to prevent non-developer sideloading. Yes, perhaps it takes someone with a little computer and mobile know how to do it, but taken in that context, how is that different from an iPhone user jailbreaking, or an Android user rooting?

Bold_until_Hybrid_Comes

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm sick of having to manually install "leaked" OS' on BB10 just to have an up to date basic feature set. Even then it is full of bugs and requires you to be tech savvy for work arounds.

Moving to a platform like iOS will be a godsend.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It's not about the full capability of the OS, but the learning curve to use it. iOS has a very simple learning curve. That means that people who aren't tech savvy can pick up ways to use it a lot easier. That level of intuitiveness means that someone who has never held an iPhone or iPad before can start using it rather quickly.

The tech savvy part comes after that, with apps that let you do almost anything while using the device. Editing photos, mixing music, editing videos, patching into external devices. All of these expand upon the base platform. From what I have seen, this can be almost limitless. The intuitive OS is the easy part - taking it to the next level is the tech savvy part.

Great first post! It is also quite interesting that something which does not necessarily have the least steps in getting things done, is the more intuitive interface for the first timers, while I have seen people struggle with Blackberry 10, arguably a more intuitive user interface, and the hub and flow dynamics.

Maybe it could just be the way every button that should be there is just there, instead of having people learn gestures to get to places?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
They are cellphones.. The real term Tech Savvy shouldn't apply to smart phones. The iPhone, Galaxy, And blackberry are not that complicated to operate. The platform on each device is very easy to figure out if you have half a brain. Tech Savvy are people who hack criminal websites and shut them down without a trace, or design websites using pure HTML code. That's tech savvy. Sorry but a phone doesn't cut it, they are all pretty basic

Sent from my iPhone 5s

Tech savviness is simply practical knowledge of technology...period. I'd say that, for the most part, people who frequent this forum to discuss the iPhone (or whatever device they are discussing at the time) are considered tech savvy, because a person without a practical knowledge of at least one of these devices would hardly concern themselves with long winded conversations about such.

Telling someone that they are not tech savvy because of their preference of device is absurd. It makes no sense to assume someone is not tech savvy because they use a device that provides an easier experience in certain aspect...I have a Samsung smart TV at home that uses hand gestures and vocal commands to control what used to require learning the functions of a remote. Now, I just tell the TV what to do and it does it...how does this make me less tech savvy? My TV removes a manual activity, makes a function easier, and some how I've become less tech savvy than the person who must still learn the functions of a remote controller?

Properly using a modern smart phone makes you tech savvy...it has to, these things are so chalk full of features, functions and technology...they are, quite literally, pocket computers. You compare these devices to cell phones from even 8-10 years ago, and it's staggering how much is crammed into them. And someone is going to sit and tell me that the iPhone is some how such a simple experience that it's not "for tech savvy" people? HA! I suppose we should apply this logic to everything right? One should consider that a new car is not for the automotive savvy because it requires less effort to own? Less maintenance to upkeep? Or perhaps a person should not consider eating at a 5 star restaurant because if you've eaten at McDonalds and are no longer food savvy?

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Tech savviness is simply practical knowledge of technology...period. I'd say that, for the most part, people who frequent this forum to discuss the iPhone (or whatever device they are discussing at the time) are considered tech savvy, because a person without a practical knowledge of at least one of these devices would hardly concern themselves with long winded conversations about such.

Telling someone that they are not tech savvy because of their preference of device is absurd. It makes no sense to assume someone is not tech savvy because they use a device that provides an easier experience in certain aspect...I have a Samsung smart TV at home that uses hand gestures and vocal commands to control what used to require learning the functions of a remote. Now, I just tell the TV what to do and it does it...how does this make me less tech savvy? My TV removes a manual activity, makes a function easier, and some how I've become less tech savvy than the person who must still learn the functions of a remote controller?

Properly using a modern smart phone makes you tech savvy...it has to, these things are so chalk full of features, functions and technology...they are, quite literally, pocket computers. You compare these devices to cell phones from even 8-10 years ago, and it's staggering how much is crammed into them. And someone is going to sit and tell me that the iPhone is some how such a simple experience that it's not "for tech savvy" people? HA! I suppose we should apply this logic to everything right? One should consider that a new car is not for the automotive savvy because it requires less effort to own? Less maintenance to upkeep? Or perhaps a person should not consider eating at a 5 star restaurant because if you've eaten at McDonalds and are no longer food savvy?

I think in order to know if a person is tech savvy or not is the speed at which a person grasps how a technology works and brings the functionality of a device. I might argue that being smart and being tech savvy goes hand in hand.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I think in order to know if a person is tech savvy or not is the speed at which a person grasps how a technology works and brings the functionality of a device. I might argue that being smart and being tech savvy goes hand in hand.

My nephew, who is 5 and has not even started grade school, can pick up nearly any electronic device he set in front of him and he can quickly grasp how it functions, he'll understand how to navigate the device and eventually, he'll be able to use it like it's 2nd nature. Now no offense to him, he's a kid, but I would hardly consider him "smart" in the general sense of the term...smart for his age? Certainly, but he's still a 5 year old, and has not even tasted an informal education on any level yet...the idea of making a macaroni picture with glitter and glue is still his native tongue vs. counting to 10. And yet, he can sit down with any of these devices and figure them out with no real issue other than maybe a lack of need to get into the more "enterprise" related features.

Honestly, I don't think tech savviness really requires anything more than just a desire to be such. And in Apples case, given they rely so heavily on the development of apps to maintain their dominance with the App Store and sheer number of apps available to consumers, it would seem that Apple actually PREFERS the tech savvy with their devices, because it makes them a sh*t ton of money, lol.

Xx BEN xX

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site

I see your point there, I was basically trying to say the cell you chose doesn't make you more a less techy it's a phone. But you do make very valid points Sean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I see your point there, I was basically trying to say the cell you chose doesn't make you more a less techy it's a phone. But you do make very valid points Sean

98% of that wasn't directed at you, I apologize if you felt I was being harsh...the only part that was really reflective of your comment was the idea that the terminology we keep throwing around here "tech savvy" is simply just a practical knowledge, and not really some in depth thing that is "learned" or that requires a steep learning curve related to something to obtain.

Xx BEN xX

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
98% of that wasn't directed at you, I apologize if you felt I was being harsh...the only part that was really reflective of your comment was the idea that the terminology we keep throwing around here "tech savvy" is simply just a practical knowledge, and not really some in depth thing that is "learned" or that requires a steep learning curve related to something to obtain.

Oh for sure, I wasn't offended at all nothing like a good debate, and if I'm wrong and someone calls bull**** I'm the first to admit I was incorrect in the way I word or say something.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
My nephew, who is 5 and has not even started grade school, can pick up nearly any electronic device he set in front of him and he can quickly grasp how it functions, he'll understand how to navigate the device and eventually, he'll be able to use it like it's 2nd nature. Now no offense to him, he's a kid, but I would hardly consider him "smart" in the general sense of the term...smart for his age? Certainly, but he's still a 5 year old, and has not even tasted an informal education on any level yet...the idea of making a macaroni picture with glitter and glue is still his native tongue vs. counting to 10. And yet, he can sit down with any of these devices and figure them out with no real issue other than maybe a lack of need to get into the more "enterprise" related features.

Honestly, I don't think tech savviness really requires anything more than just a desire to be such. And in Apples case, given they rely so heavily on the development of apps to maintain their dominance with the App Store and sheer number of apps available to consumers, it would seem that Apple actually PREFERS the tech savvy with their devices, because it makes them a sh*t ton of money, lol.

Nah, some people I know who have the desire to be tech savvy regularly ask me for help on how to do the most simple stuff like transfer photos from a micro USB drive. I still stand by the notion that intelligence does play a part.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Nah, some people I know who have the desire to be tech savvy regularly ask me for help on how to do the most simple stuff like transfer photos from a micro USB drive. I still stand by the notion that intelligence does play a part.
Intelligence plays a part, yes... however... I worked my way through college in what has evolved into Instructional Technology services... PhDs who are tops in their field can be dumb as a stump with technical things...

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Intelligence plays a part, yes... however... I worked my way through college in what has evolved into Instructional Technology services... PhDs who are tops in their field can be dumb as a stump with technical things...

So it essentially points to a certain aptitude or intelligence in technology...

Actually that makes sense now. And if there are digital natives, it implies that this aptitude can be trained or honed. Possibly one's own natural talent for these things amplifies that aptitude?

Brutal Efficiency

May 22, 2013
Visit site
This is purely assumed and has no factual basis. You assume people will have a tricky time because they won't understand it easily...but what if the features hold little or no value to them? Rendering it essentially pointless instead of too difficult to understand.

This has no relevance. Are you saying that every tech savvy person will need all the same options as each other? Sure, some options may be pointless to one user while very valuable to another. At least it is an option, while iOS does not have some of these. For someone who may want to tinker with a few more options to allow maximum productivity, then iOS may not be able to provide that.

This has no relevance to tech savviness man. You are implying that an extra step in having apps some how makes a person more tech savvy...that is asinine. iPhone users have apps directly available to them...it's less work, not less understanding.

Yes, I agree with what you are saying, but not in relation to the point that I was *hoping* to portray. BlackBerry doesn't have the apps iOS has available (and iOS doesn't have some BlackBerry 10 apps). If you have the know-how to side-load, then this could be a remedy for any wanted apps that you might long for. Sideloading is not the easiest task for the average consumer, and therefore would be tricky to do. Might I remind you that Android has a higher app count than iOS, and therefore allowing Android apps via Sideloading is a great option, and one that does not exist in the world of Apple. Having the OPTION to do so is better than no option at all.

Apple designed a product and OS to minimize this for the consumer...so again, it's a matter of having the same function with less work...not less understanding.

BlackBerry have also designed the same layout (albeit a different style). The fact that there is also an OPTION to side load means that people who like to tinker can do so. The Tech savvy would appreciate the OPTION rather than no option at all.

Only the Blackberry can provide? What kinds of shortcuts are you talking about that only the Blackberry can provide? There are plenty of ways to setup short cuts, gesture controls and reassignments on the iPhone within the settings...

Forgive me if I am sounding rude, but you are either ignorant or sarcastic on this point. I completely understand your ignorance if you haven't used a BlackBerry before, so I will explain. BlackBerry phones that include a keyboard allow shortcuts by using the keys (for example: speed dial). Many hard core users have memorized the shortcuts on their phone and can fly through the system via the shortcuts that only a physical keyboard could provide. Pressing one button to speed dial is a heck of a lot faster than making a phone call on iOS. The fact that you can pull up the virtual keyboard on an all-touch BlackBerry 10 phone will be fantastic when they add the home screen shortcuts to BlackBerry 10.

Type'N'Go is also a fantastic BlackBerry 10 shortcut feature that beats out anything iOS has.

All in all, having the options to do this over the options not to do this is one benefit that a tech savvy person *could* appreciate. Does it mean you are not tech savvy if you don't use it? No. Do many non-tech savvy people use it? No. Similar to the shortcuts on Windows Desktop.

Again (for like the 5th time), I'm not seeing the relevance to the discussion here. So your mom has an issue with BB10 and the learning curve, how is that relevant to anyone else and their abilities?

I was using my mother and father as a representation of the general population to people at the age of 50+.

iPhone doesn't have NFC tech, so saying it "cannot" use it is obvious...it's not included because it's still a niche technology (and a world from the polished status Apple strives for on their devices, which is honestly the ONLY reasons why it's not included).

This is not what I was arguing. I was saying that the option of NFC is more attractive to a tech savvy person than no option at all. If a person wants to do some cool things with NFC, then he won't be able to use an iPhone for that. That's just the fact. Whether it is a niche technology or not is irrelevant to the point in which I was arguing my point against.

Apple has several proprietary approaches to DLNA, most of which have already been perfected amongst Apple's spectrum of devices (ecosystem as people call it). Apple, as a business, would be doing itself a disservice offering DLNA when their own system of media sharing works best amongst it's own products, and instills an idea in the consumers to buy more Apple devices (which makes more business sense).

Yes, it makes more business sense, but that's all. Apple could produce DLNA alongside their own proprietary service as well for maximum connectivity with other devices around the world, making it easier for people to use Apple devices WITHOUT purchasing other Apple products. Then again, they might lose profit margins as people then don't find it a necessity to purchase other Apple made devices.

Miracast is the same deal. iMessage and FaceTime combined with Airplay are within the Apple ecosystem...this is Apple's focus, because they know the devices using these features are using them in the quality Apple expects of their own devices.

Cool story Bro. BBM Video combined with Miracast is also within the BlackBerry ecosystem AND expands to other ecosystems for the convenience of their users. Again, it is better to have the option rather than no option at all. Most people will appreciate that.

...my question is what is the problem with proprietary connectivity if the company offers everything a consumer needs to fully experience said features within that polished ecosystem? You're trying to argue that Apple has a "fault" of some sort by doing this, but they are a business, and because consumers are buying this stuff and making use of it, obviously they are doing SOMETHING right.

Apple doesn't have a 'fault' for doing this, but it is a 'pro' that cannot be added to their list of features. I know that with my BlackBerry I can go to any hotel room (pretty much anywhere that I would ever go) and plug it into the TV via HDMI. I know that I can unexpectedly to go to a friends house, a workplace or a meeting and have the capability to project my screen onto the TV there. I don't need to even know what brand of TV it is. I just know that, somehow, my BlackBerry will have the OPTION to do it, rather than no option at all.

Conclusion
I was stating that a BlackBerry 10 phone holds more than a few features over the iPhone that may seem attractive for a tech savvy person. Does this mean that all BlackBerry 10 owners are more tech savvy than iPhone owners? No. Does this mean that an iPhone owner cannot be tech savvy? NO!!!! I feel as if you either misunderstood my point, or were thinking that I thought the iPhone was unattractive for a tech savvy customer.

PS - I feel as though you have never touched a BlackBerry 10 device. That's such a shame, because before you do so you will already have such loaded negative stigma about a device you are yet to have the pleasure of experiencing.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to make this short and sweet to you bud...for starters, I've never owned a BB10 device (and never will), have i "touched" one? Most definitely, and actually had a nice long road trip with a co-worker of mine where I got to explore his Z10 for a few hours. It was a significant improvement over what I was used to with Blackberry (having owned about 10 of their devices before the real age of modern smart phones presented itself 6-7 years ago), but it still felt inefficient, under-developed and clunky.

Getting that out of the way, since you wanted to present that assumption, which was wrong...the rest of your post is simply you trying to convince me that Blackberry devices are more attractive devices to the tech savvy. There's nothing I'm going to say to change your mind on that because it's your opinion...I offered up what Apple features that rivals what you said Apple couldn't do (in early posts), and you retort with "Well, more options is better...". If you want to stick with that approach that is fine, but again, I'm simply reflecting that Apple offers many of the functions you're hung up on without the need of the extra steps to use them...I personally don't know many people who find extra work a more "attractive" work flow.

I've grown a bit tired of having to repeat the same stuff over and over again so I'm just going to end on this...the title of this thread says "iOS devices are not for the tech savvy", and then you conclude with the sentiment that I misunderstood your point. Truly I didn't...I really think, over the course of this thread, you realize that the first statement made in the thread was inaccurate, and it was meant that there are things on the BB that would attract a tech savvy person (and with that point, I have ZERO argument, you are right, there are things that BB offers that a tech savvy person would be attracted to)...I rest my debate with this, I consider myself a tech savvy person, and I prefer the iPhone because of the technology it brings to the table...therefore I feel the iPhone is "for the tech savvy", as your thread title questioned.

Brutal Efficiency

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I do think that the iPhone offers MANY things that BlackBerry doesn't offer for the tech savvy. Just there are things that BlackBerry offers as well.

I do think that having more options is more suitable than having one proprietary option. What if you take your iPhone into a home/workplace that doesn't offer proprietary solutions to connect with? Honest question, perhaps you have a solution that big am unaware/ignorant of.

PS - this isn't my thread.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I do think that the iPhone offers MANY things that BlackBerry doesn't offer for the tech savvy. Just there are things that BlackBerry offers as well.

I do think that having more options is more suitable than having one proprietary option. What if you take your iPhone into a home/workplace that doesn't offer proprietary solutions to connect with? Honest question, perhaps you have a solution that big am unaware/ignorant of.

PS - this isn't my thread.
Believe it or not, I somehow, some way manage to use my iPhone in my workplace and home without those things.

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Most homes and workplaces don't have NFC, DLNA, miracast or any go those other things either. So it wouldn't be any different than my iPhone and Apple's technologies.
Universal standards doesn't always mean universal adoption. I've had 2 phones and 2 tablets now with NFC, and don't think I got to use them once outside of my home.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods