Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 105
Like Tree144Likes
  1. #26  
    SeanHRCC's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    12,021 Posts
    Global Posts
    12,215 Global Posts

    Default Re: iOS devices are not for tech savvy...?

    Quote Originally Posted by kch50428 View Post
    Ant those people are what I like to call... wrong. Ain't no such thing as "foolproof".
    As this forum proves on a daily basis, lol.
    Fausty82, Anilu7 and ghundiraj like this.
  2. #27  
    Brutal Efficiency's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    72 Posts
    Global Posts
    971 Global Posts

    Default Re: iOS devices are not for tech savvy...?

    BlackBerry 10 would be for a more tech savvy group of people.

    There are a LOT of things to increase productivity (especially on 10.2). There are lots of options to do great things that make my BlackBerry 10 device far more product and intricate than my iOS 7 device.

    That said, I must praise iOS for making it easy for even the least tech savvy population understand it, which would NOT have been an easy task to undertake.
    Anilu7 and ghundiraj like this.
  3. #28  
    mulasien's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    421 Posts
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts

    Default Re: iOS devices are not for tech savvy...?

    Quote Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post
    The concept of "tech savvy" is basically one to make one platform feel special by putting down another because they're not mature enough yet for the idea of multiple use cases. All of them have strengths, all of them have weaknesses, and some of the strength can be weaknesses for a different user.
    Pretty much this. It's basically a back handed insult in that saying "x" phone is for the non-tech savvy is a nice way of saying that it's a dumbed-down phone for dumb people, whereas "y" phone is a tech-savvy phone for smart people. Smart people use "y" phone, whereas dumb people use "x" phone. Therefore, my "y" phone is superior because it's designed for smart people.

    Let's just cut to the chase, that's what people who make the "not for tech savvy" arguments REALLY mean. Apparently, following step by step instructions on XDA forums made by other people who really ARE tech savvy, or having a bunch of toggles available that you HAVE to use to get decent battery life out of your phone is what makes someone 'tech savvy', whereas choosing to purchase a product that works correctly out of the box not requiring a person to have to deal with that crap to begin with (or spend hours reading XDA forums to figure out why their phone is screwing up) makes them a non tech savvy dumb simpleton, right? (/sarcasm)
    Last edited by mulasien; 10-17-2013 at 02:46 PM.
  4. #29  
    SeanHRCC's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    12,021 Posts
    Global Posts
    12,215 Global Posts

    Default Re: iOS devices are not for tech savvy...?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutal Efficiency View Post
    BlackBerry 10 would be for a more tech savvy group of people.

    There are a LOT of things to increase productivity (especially on 10.2). There are lots of options to do great things that make my BlackBerry 10 device far more product and intricate than my iOS 7 device.

    That said, I must praise iOS for making it easy for even the least tech savvy population understand it, which would NOT have been an easy task to undertake.
    I'm curious how productivity optimizations equate to tech savviness. Care to explain? From what I can deduce from your post, you're saying the Blackberry has more to offer than the iPhone to a tech savvy consumer, but you listed productivity options and nothing else. What exactly makes BB10 a more attractive OS for the tech savvy?
  5. #30  
    Xopher's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    10 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,732 Global Posts

    Default Re: iOS devices are not for tech savvy...?

    It's not about the full capability of the OS, but the learning curve to use it. iOS has a very simple learning curve. That means that people who aren't tech savvy can pick up ways to use it a lot easier. That level of intuitiveness means that someone who has never held an iPhone or iPad before can start using it rather quickly.

    The tech savvy part comes after that, with apps that let you do almost anything while using the device. Editing photos, mixing music, editing videos, patching into external devices. All of these expand upon the base platform. From what I have seen, this can be almost limitless. The intuitive OS is the easy part - taking it to the next level is the tech savvy part.
  6. #31  
    SeanHRCC's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    12,021 Posts
    Global Posts
    12,215 Global Posts

    Default Re: iOS devices are not for tech savvy...?

    Quote Originally Posted by Xopher View Post
    It's not about the full capability of the OS, but the learning curve to use it. iOS has a very simple learning curve. That means that people who aren't tech savvy can pick up ways to use it a lot easier. That level of intuitiveness means that someone who has never held an iPhone or iPad before can start using it rather quickly.

    The tech savvy part comes after that, with apps that let you do almost anything while using the device. Editing photos, mixing music, editing videos, patching into external devices. All of these expand upon the base platform. From what I have seen, this can be almost limitless. The intuitive OS is the easy part - taking it to the next level is the tech savvy part.
    I honestly think this is the best answer in this entire thread. And I fully agree with you 110%. Damn fine first post on iMore bud!
  7. #32  
    BreakingKayfabe's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    6,511 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,892 Global Posts

    Default Re: iOS devices are not for tech savvy...?

    Quote Originally Posted by Xopher View Post
    It's not about the full capability of the OS, but the learning curve to use it. iOS has a very simple learning curve. That means that people who aren't tech savvy can pick up ways to use it a lot easier. That level of intuitiveness means that someone who has never held an iPhone or iPad before can start using it rather quickly.

    The tech savvy part comes after that, with apps that let you do almost anything while using the device. Editing photos, mixing music, editing videos, patching into external devices. All of these expand upon the base platform. From what I have seen, this can be almost limitless. The intuitive OS is the easy part - taking it to the next level is the tech savvy part.
    Yup. I've always maintained the opinion that Apple makes their OS easy enough for my mom or sister to learn how to use quickly.
    mac2013 likes this.
  8. #33  
    Brutal Efficiency's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    72 Posts
    Global Posts
    971 Global Posts

    Default Re: iOS devices are not for tech savvy...?

    Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    I'm curious how productivity optimizations equate to tech savviness. Care to explain? From what I can deduce from your post, you're saying the Blackberry has more to offer than the iPhone to a tech savvy consumer, but you listed productivity options and nothing else. What exactly makes BB10 a more attractive OS for the tech savvy?
    BlackBerry 10 (and even BlackBerry 7) has a much steeper learning curve. Unless you use the tutorials, you'll have a tricky time. Especially trying to work out all the cool quirks the Hub provides. (Priority Hub, colour labelling, etc).

    BlackBerry 10 also provides side loading. I can side load any application from Android that I want straight onto my BlackBerry. Hypothetically, BlackBerry provides all BlackBerry 10 apps, and Android apps, BUT only if you see tech savvy enough to side load. This is more apps u than iOS and Windows Phone put together, but only available for tech savvy people.

    BlackBerry 10 has when ability to play the application in a virtual sandbox, and thus avoiding an viruses and such as much as possible.

    The Q10 also provides shortcuts, and learning all of them off by heart is no simple task. Saying this, once learned, you can fly through the OS even faster. A unique feature only BlackBerry can provide. Will non-tech savvy people figure them out? *giggle*

    BlackBerry 10 and Android (sometimes) also provide DLNA and Miracast. Non-tech savvy people, like my mother and father just go 'lolwut' when they hear that, and my mother still has issues connecting to Miracast when my mates and I find it not too hard. Then again, we all delve into tech, whereas she doesn't, and asked to be taught over and over again how to use the benefits of BlackBerry 10. Now I have to teach her 10.2!! Shell even state 'I'm not tech savvy enough to learn it on my lonesome.'

    I don't know if this asserts your question, but I gave it a shot.
    Anilu7 and ghundiraj like this.
  9. #34  
    jmr1015's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    522 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,108 Global Posts

    Default Re: iOS devices are not for tech savvy...?

    Agreed with the last few posts.

    Saying "Because the iPhone is easy to use = it is not for the tech savvy" is akin to the argument "Because the Nissan GTR is easy to drive fast = it is for people with poor driving skill"

    Being easy to use, simply means more people will be able to experience it closer to its full potential. Those more inclined in the field will push it farther towards its true limits... But even the amateur/casual user can use and enjoy it thoroughly.
    Anilu7 and ghundiraj like this.
  10. #35  
    Brutal Efficiency's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    72 Posts
    Global Posts
    971 Global Posts

    Default Re: iOS devices are not for tech savvy...?

    Quote Originally Posted by jmr1015 View Post
    Agreed with the last few posts.

    Saying "Because the iPhone is easy to use = it is not for the tech savvy" is akin to the argument "Because the Nissan GTR is easy to drive fast = it is for people with poor driving skill"

    Being easy to use, simply means more people will be able to experience it closer to its full potential. Those more inclined in the field will push it farther towards its true limits... But even the amateur/casual user can use and enjoy it thoroughly.
    That being said, is ease of use sacrificing the amount of features and non-proprietary connectivity?

    iPhone already cannot use NFC; USBOTG/Host; DLNA; Miracast. Perhaps using these go against the design language that Apple uses, which is ease of use.
  11. #36  
    kch50428's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    20,945 Posts
    Global Posts
    21,826 Global Posts

    Default Re: iOS devices are not for tech savvy...?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutal Efficiency View Post
    iPhone already cannot use NFC; USBOTG/Host; DLNA; Miracast. Perhaps using these go against the design language that Apple uses, which is ease of use.
    Gee, the iPhone is so behind the times isn't it?

    I have yet to find where I could use NFC even if the iPhone had it... USB/otg? one can use any number of accessories to do many of the same things... DLNA? Got that covered by AirPlay & shared iTunes library...
  12. #37  
    warcraftWidow's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    8,230 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,342 Global Posts

    Default Re: iOS devices are not for tech savvy...?

    Quote Originally Posted by kch50428 View Post
    Gee, the iPhone is so behind the times isn't it?

    I have yet to find where I could use NFC even if the iPhone had it... USB/otg? one can use any number of accessories to do many of the same things... DLNA? Got that covered by AirPlay & shared iTunes library...
    I agree. I feel the need for none of those things. And I definitely qualify as a tech-savvy user (programmer/software engineer by trade, have built many a PC from components, etc).
    I live in a major metro area and I've yet to see NFC in wide use anywhere. Need to send someone a file? AirDrop works just fine.
    USB? See no need for it. Anything I want that may reside on my computer is put into Dropbox or Box so it's always available on my phone.
    DLNA? I've setup DLNA in the past between my NAS and TV and DVD player. That was a pain in my a**. Not at all straight forward. Apple TV-just plugged it in to power and network cable and I could see all my media immediately. No fiddling with settings or anything.

    But anyway if blackberry's work for you great.
  13. #38  
    jmr1015's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    522 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,108 Global Posts

    Default Re: iOS devices are not for tech savvy...?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutal Efficiency View Post
    That being said, is ease of use sacrificing the amount of features and non-proprietary connectivity?

    iPhone already cannot use NFC; USBOTG/Host; DLNA; Miracast. Perhaps using these go against the design language that Apple uses, which is ease of use.
    I don't consider the exclusion of non-proprietary connectivity a "sacrifice" when there are proprietary and 3rd party alternative solutions, as mentioned above.
  14. #39  
    Brutal Efficiency's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    72 Posts
    Global Posts
    971 Global Posts

    Default Re: iOS devices are not for tech savvy...?

    Quote Originally Posted by kch50428 View Post
    Gee, the iPhone is so behind the times isn't it?

    I have yet to find where I could use NFC even if the iPhone had it... USB/otg? one can use any number of accessories to do many of the same things... DLNA? Got that covered by AirPlay & shared iTunes library...
    Good for you, seriously.

    However, I use NFC daily. In fact, many times a day. I have about 20 NFC Tags at home, alone. It's easier than AirDrop, by a long margin, on BlackBerry 10 that is. I can't say for Android, as I have never used NFC on Android.

    If the people in your life have BlackBerry 10, then NFC is one of the more used features. Luckily for me, a lot of people (a lot of iPhone users like their iOS too much to switch) around me have made the switch to BlackBerry 10, and everything is starting to streamline.

    Please don't take it that I was saying that the iPhone is behind, when it is a fact that it does not have NFC, a technology used by BlackBerry for years. That's all I was saying.

    DLNA is hard to set up, which is why I use Miracast. Whether this is better or worse than AirPlay, I'd have to research and experience.

    USB OTG is so very useful that I think iPhone users don't give enough credit for it. The accessories that iPhone can get (after you purchase them, as they are not out of the box like other USB OTG compatible devices) do not make it the same as a BlackBerry 10 device operating USB OTG. Have a look at some videos, and the benefits will become apparent. It's something that myself and my peers use an increasing amount. I know I use it to transfer files for work and between people. If I need to do something quickly, I can give them videos and even full length movies by just moving it to the USB Flash.


    Does this mean the iPhone as a whole is behind? No... where is my NATIVE Instagram and SnapChat? Where is BlackBerry's take on PassBook?
    Anilu7 and ghundiraj like this.
  15. #40  
    BlackBerry Guy's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    480 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,156 Global Posts

    Default Re: iOS devices are not for tech savvy...?

    Quote Originally Posted by Xopher View Post
    It's not about the full capability of the OS, but the learning curve to use it. iOS has a very simple learning curve. That means that people who aren't tech savvy can pick up ways to use it a lot easier. That level of intuitiveness means that someone who has never held an iPhone or iPad before can start using it rather quickly.

    The tech savvy part comes after that, with apps that let you do almost anything while using the device. Editing photos, mixing music, editing videos, patching into external devices. All of these expand upon the base platform. From what I have seen, this can be almost limitless. The intuitive OS is the easy part - taking it to the next level is the tech savvy part.
    I think you said it best. Just because iOS is friendly to the non-tech savvy doesn't mean it isn't friendly to the tech savvy.
    Anilu7 likes this.
  16. #41  
    SeanHRCC's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    12,021 Posts
    Global Posts
    12,215 Global Posts

    Default Re: iOS devices are not for tech savvy...?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutal Efficiency View Post
    BlackBerry 10 (and even BlackBerry 7) has a much steeper learning curve. Unless you use the tutorials, you'll have a tricky time. Especially trying to work out all the cool quirks the Hub provides. (Priority Hub, colour labelling, etc).
    This is purely assumed and has no factual basis. You assume people will have a tricky time because they won't understand it easily...but what if the features hold little or no value to them? Rendering it essentially pointless instead of too difficult to understand.

    BlackBerry 10 also provides side loading. I can side load any application from Android that I want straight onto my BlackBerry. Hypothetically, BlackBerry provides all BlackBerry 10 apps, and Android apps, BUT only if you see tech savvy enough to side load. This is more apps u than iOS and Windows Phone put together, but only available for tech savvy people.
    This has no relevance to tech savviness man. You are implying that an extra step in having apps some how makes a person more tech savvy...that is asinine. iPhone users have apps directly available to them...it's less work, not less understanding.

    BlackBerry 10 has when ability to play the application in a virtual sandbox, and thus avoiding an viruses and such as much as possible.
    Apple designed a product and OS to minimize this for the consumer...so again, it's a matter of having the same function with less work...not less understanding.

    The Q10 also provides shortcuts, and learning all of them off by heart is no simple task. Saying this, once learned, you can fly through the OS even faster. A unique feature only BlackBerry can provide. Will non-tech savvy people figure them out? *giggle*
    Only the Blackberry can provide? What kinds of shortcuts are you talking about that only the Blackberry can provide? There are plenty of ways to setup short cuts, gesture controls and reassignments on the iPhone within the settings...

    BlackBerry 10 and Android (sometimes) also provide DLNA and Miracast. Non-tech savvy people, like my mother and father just go 'lolwut' when they hear that, and my mother still has issues connecting to Miracast when my mates and I find it not too hard. Then again, we all delve into tech, whereas she doesn't, and asked to be taught over and over again how to use the benefits of BlackBerry 10. Now I have to teach her 10.2!! Shell even state 'I'm not tech savvy enough to learn it on my lonesome.'

    I don't know if this asserts your question, but I gave it a shot.
    Again (for like the 5th time), I'm not seeing the relevance to the discussion here. So your mom has an issue with BB10 and the learning curve, how is that relevant to anyone else and their abilities?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutal Efficiency View Post
    That being said, is ease of use sacrificing the amount of features and non-proprietary connectivity?

    iPhone already cannot use NFC; USBOTG/Host; DLNA; Miracast. Perhaps using these go against the design language that Apple uses, which is ease of use.
    iPhone doesn't have NFC tech, so saying it "cannot" use it is obvious...it's not included because it's still a niche technology (and a world from the polished status Apple strives for on their devices, which is honestly the ONLY reasons why it's not included).

    Apple has several proprietary approaches to DLNA, most of which have already been perfected amongst Apple's spectrum of devices (ecosystem as people call it). Apple, as a business, would be doing itself a disservice offering DLNA when their own system of media sharing works best amongst it's own products, and instills an idea in the consumers to buy more Apple devices (which makes more business sense).

    Miracast is the same deal. iMessage and FaceTime combined with Airplay are within the Apple ecosystem...this is Apple's focus, because they know the devices using these features are using them in the quality Apple expects of their own devices.

    ...my question is what is the problem with proprietary connectivity if the company offers everything a consumer needs to fully experience said features within that polished ecosystem? You're trying to argue that Apple has a "fault" of some sort by doing this, but they are a business, and because consumers are buying this stuff and making use of it, obviously they are doing SOMETHING right.
    kch50428, jmr1015 and mikeo007 like this.
  17. #42  
    Xx BEN xX's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    144 Posts
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts

    Default Re: iOS devices are not for tech savvy...?

    They are cellphones.. The real term Tech Savvy shouldn't apply to smart phones. The iPhone, Galaxy, And blackberry are not that complicated to operate. The platform on each device is very easy to figure out if you have half a brain. Tech Savvy are people who hack criminal websites and shut them down without a trace, or design websites using pure HTML code. That's tech savvy. Sorry but a phone doesn't cut it, they are all pretty basic


    Sent from my iPhone 5s
    Anilu7 likes this.
  18. #43  
    BlackBerry Guy's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    480 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,156 Global Posts

    Default Re: iOS devices are not for tech savvy...?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutal Efficiency View Post
    BlackBerry 10 also provides side loading. I can side load any application from Android that I want straight onto my BlackBerry. Hypothetically, BlackBerry provides all BlackBerry 10 apps, and Android apps, BUT only if you see tech savvy enough to side load. This is more apps u than iOS and Windows Phone put together, but only available for tech savvy people.
    Sideloading exists as a way for Android developers to load their apps should they chose to port them over to BB10. It's not a consumer facing OS feature, but it is being used by some BlackBerry owners to fill the app gap. BlackBerry can easily lock the Android runtime if they want (and I think they have in some of their newer 10.2 builds) in order to prevent non-developer sideloading. Yes, perhaps it takes someone with a little computer and mobile know how to do it, but taken in that context, how is that different from an iPhone user jailbreaking, or an Android user rooting?
    Anilu7 likes this.
  19. #44  
    Bold_until_Hybrid_Comes's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,707 Global Posts

    Default Re: iOS devices are not for tech savvy...?

    I'm sick of having to manually install "leaked" OS' on BB10 just to have an up to date basic feature set. Even then it is full of bugs and requires you to be tech savvy for work arounds.

    Moving to a platform like iOS will be a godsend.
  20. #45  
    BlackBerry Guy's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    480 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,156 Global Posts

    Default Re: iOS devices are not for tech savvy...?

    @B_U_H_C: Off topic, but I liked your Ashley Esqueda avatar better
  21. #46  
    Bold_until_Hybrid_Comes's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,707 Global Posts

    Default Re: iOS devices are not for tech savvy...?

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackBerry Guy View Post
    @B_U_H_C: Off topic, but I liked your Ashley Esqueda avatar better
    Lol it was time to move on though
  22. #47  

    Default Re: iOS devices are not for tech savvy...?

    Quote Originally Posted by Xopher View Post
    It's not about the full capability of the OS, but the learning curve to use it. iOS has a very simple learning curve. That means that people who aren't tech savvy can pick up ways to use it a lot easier. That level of intuitiveness means that someone who has never held an iPhone or iPad before can start using it rather quickly.

    The tech savvy part comes after that, with apps that let you do almost anything while using the device. Editing photos, mixing music, editing videos, patching into external devices. All of these expand upon the base platform. From what I have seen, this can be almost limitless. The intuitive OS is the easy part - taking it to the next level is the tech savvy part.
    Great first post! It is also quite interesting that something which does not necessarily have the least steps in getting things done, is the more intuitive interface for the first timers, while I have seen people struggle with Blackberry 10, arguably a more intuitive user interface, and the hub and flow dynamics.

    Maybe it could just be the way every button that should be there is just there, instead of having people learn gestures to get to places?
  23. #48  
    SeanHRCC's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    12,021 Posts
    Global Posts
    12,215 Global Posts

    Default Re: iOS devices are not for tech savvy...?

    Quote Originally Posted by Xx BEN xX View Post
    They are cellphones.. The real term Tech Savvy shouldn't apply to smart phones. The iPhone, Galaxy, And blackberry are not that complicated to operate. The platform on each device is very easy to figure out if you have half a brain. Tech Savvy are people who hack criminal websites and shut them down without a trace, or design websites using pure HTML code. That's tech savvy. Sorry but a phone doesn't cut it, they are all pretty basic


    Sent from my iPhone 5s
    Tech savviness is simply practical knowledge of technology...period. I'd say that, for the most part, people who frequent this forum to discuss the iPhone (or whatever device they are discussing at the time) are considered tech savvy, because a person without a practical knowledge of at least one of these devices would hardly concern themselves with long winded conversations about such.

    Telling someone that they are not tech savvy because of their preference of device is absurd. It makes no sense to assume someone is not tech savvy because they use a device that provides an easier experience in certain aspect...I have a Samsung smart TV at home that uses hand gestures and vocal commands to control what used to require learning the functions of a remote. Now, I just tell the TV what to do and it does it...how does this make me less tech savvy? My TV removes a manual activity, makes a function easier, and some how I've become less tech savvy than the person who must still learn the functions of a remote controller?

    Properly using a modern smart phone makes you tech savvy...it has to, these things are so chalk full of features, functions and technology...they are, quite literally, pocket computers. You compare these devices to cell phones from even 8-10 years ago, and it's staggering how much is crammed into them. And someone is going to sit and tell me that the iPhone is some how such a simple experience that it's not "for tech savvy" people? HA! I suppose we should apply this logic to everything right? One should consider that a new car is not for the automotive savvy because it requires less effort to own? Less maintenance to upkeep? Or perhaps a person should not consider eating at a 5 star restaurant because if you've eaten at McDonalds and are no longer food savvy?
    Anilu7 likes this.
  24. #49  

    Default Re: iOS devices are not for tech savvy...?

    Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    Tech savviness is simply practical knowledge of technology...period. I'd say that, for the most part, people who frequent this forum to discuss the iPhone (or whatever device they are discussing at the time) are considered tech savvy, because a person without a practical knowledge of at least one of these devices would hardly concern themselves with long winded conversations about such.

    Telling someone that they are not tech savvy because of their preference of device is absurd. It makes no sense to assume someone is not tech savvy because they use a device that provides an easier experience in certain aspect...I have a Samsung smart TV at home that uses hand gestures and vocal commands to control what used to require learning the functions of a remote. Now, I just tell the TV what to do and it does it...how does this make me less tech savvy? My TV removes a manual activity, makes a function easier, and some how I've become less tech savvy than the person who must still learn the functions of a remote controller?

    Properly using a modern smart phone makes you tech savvy...it has to, these things are so chalk full of features, functions and technology...they are, quite literally, pocket computers. You compare these devices to cell phones from even 8-10 years ago, and it's staggering how much is crammed into them. And someone is going to sit and tell me that the iPhone is some how such a simple experience that it's not "for tech savvy" people? HA! I suppose we should apply this logic to everything right? One should consider that a new car is not for the automotive savvy because it requires less effort to own? Less maintenance to upkeep? Or perhaps a person should not consider eating at a 5 star restaurant because if you've eaten at McDonalds and are no longer food savvy?
    I think in order to know if a person is tech savvy or not is the speed at which a person grasps how a technology works and brings the functionality of a device. I might argue that being smart and being tech savvy goes hand in hand.
    Anilu7 likes this.
  25. #50  
    SeanHRCC's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    12,021 Posts
    Global Posts
    12,215 Global Posts

    Default Re: iOS devices are not for tech savvy...?

    Quote Originally Posted by Speedygi View Post
    I think in order to know if a person is tech savvy or not is the speed at which a person grasps how a technology works and brings the functionality of a device. I might argue that being smart and being tech savvy goes hand in hand.
    My nephew, who is 5 and has not even started grade school, can pick up nearly any electronic device he set in front of him and he can quickly grasp how it functions, he'll understand how to navigate the device and eventually, he'll be able to use it like it's 2nd nature. Now no offense to him, he's a kid, but I would hardly consider him "smart" in the general sense of the term...smart for his age? Certainly, but he's still a 5 year old, and has not even tasted an informal education on any level yet...the idea of making a macaroni picture with glitter and glue is still his native tongue vs. counting to 10. And yet, he can sit down with any of these devices and figure them out with no real issue other than maybe a lack of need to get into the more "enterprise" related features.

    Honestly, I don't think tech savviness really requires anything more than just a desire to be such. And in Apples case, given they rely so heavily on the development of apps to maintain their dominance with the App Store and sheer number of apps available to consumers, it would seem that Apple actually PREFERS the tech savvy with their devices, because it makes them a sh*t ton of money, lol.
    Anilu7 likes this.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. So much for the demise of Apple
    By nite732 in forum iPhone 5s
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 10-07-2013, 02:41 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-30-2013, 04:50 PM
  3. So much for the demise of Apple
    By nite732 in forum iPhone 5s
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-30-2013, 07:35 AM

Posting Permissions