5s 5c Review. Wow.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I removed the other duplicate thread and moved this one to the General Discussion forum. Only one thread is needed on this topic.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Benchmarks mean nothing if the phone doesn't feel any different...people argue benchmarks all the time with computers to discredit one model or another, but in the end, most times these benchmarks are just stats on paper, and little more. I think this new chip set could be very capable, but showing it off on paper isn't a real world representation.

Bias reduX

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Benchmarks mean nothing if the phone doesn't feel any different...people argue benchmarks all the time with computers to discredit one model or another, but in the end, most times these benchmarks are just stats on paper, and little more. I think this new chip set could be very capable, but showing it off on paper isn't a real world representation.

The future of iOS will be the representation of those benchmarks along with new games and apps that come out.

Sure as of right now it makes little to no difference but its not like it won't get it's time to shine.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The future of iOS will be the representation of those benchmarks along with new games and apps that come out.

Sure as of right now it makes little to no difference but its not like it won't get it's time to shine.

Here's the thing...the iPhone 5 wasn't a lagging experience in any facet either, so most consumers won't see a difference, they'll just experience the iPhone as it functions, and even if a game is running perfectly with that 64bit chip set that would not have run properly on previous iPhone's, it won't make a difference because it's a background operation, the end user just gets the end result, which is no different than previous models because when they were the newest model, they were running everything faster too.

I'm not saying it's not impressive...it's incredible to be honest when you really think about it. But when a person says "This is why I'm buying the iPhone!" it begs the question "Why?" You would think the hundreds of other things that are infinitely more in your face and noticeable would be better reasoning than something that is quite amazing, but only in the sense of what it is doing in the background that you never notice.

porksoda

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
Here's the thing...the iPhone 5 wasn't a lagging experience in any facet either, so most consumers won't see a difference, they'll just experience the iPhone as it functions, and even if a game is running perfectly with that 64bit chip set that would not have run properly on previous iPhone's, it won't make a difference because it's a background operation, the end user just gets the end result, which is no different than previous models because when they were the newest model, they were running everything faster too.

I'm not saying it's not impressive...it's incredible to be honest when you really think about it. But when a person says "This is why I'm buying the iPhone!" it begs the question "Why?" You would think the hundreds of other things that are infinitely more in your face and noticeable would be better reasoning than something that is quite amazing, but only in the sense of what it is doing in the background that you never notice.

I agree with you and disagree.

Sure i would have liked a slightly bigger screen, sure i would have liked a re-designed body. But as someone who likes the "new" factor and the technology aspect, i tend to be more into performance. 5 has lagged for me occasionally, not like android lag but it has shown hesitation. It is not because of the hardware or the phone it is because I had carried my backup from 4s (a few jb's and a couple warranty replaced phones).

This review is important because it is a good review, it is balanced, full of facts, and objective. Most people out there have made up their mind about apple products, people thing iphones are gimmicks and horrible and samsung is the best. This review comes out almost like a pro apple piece, but its not. Especially from a PC/gamer reviewer this review holds credibility and its a strong "yes", it wont help the "stigma" of iPhone, but it is a step in the right direction.

BMW does the same, every 7 years a new facelift/full modem update. The inbetween chasis from the same model is called LCI (Life cycle impulse). Looks like apple is doing something similar with # and #s, in a way the #s model is a LCI (smirks).

<edit>Addes iOS7 review (detailed) in the main post from pixel envy</edit>

Bias reduX

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site

So if most consumers won't see the difference what's the argument if a few will see or know about the difference. I don't see why it would matter that someone chooses the phone for that reason.

It's like if I had a Radeon 5770 and upgraded to a 7850 for battlefield 4. Sure ill never see the difference and the 5770 handled all of my gaming needs at the time. But I know it will be able to handle more even though the user experience won't change all that drastically. I still know that it handles more and will surpass the the older models at some point in time. Considering the monumental leap in benchmarks the iPhone 5S is going to further exceed the IPhone 5 more than it exceeded the 4S. It's a tantalizing thought and a very solid reason to buy the phone knowing its going to be a powerhouse and last a lot longer.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
So if most consumers won't see the difference what's the argument if a few will see or know about the difference. I don't see why it would matter that someone chooses the phone for that reason.

It's like if I had a Radeon 5770 and upgraded to a 7850 for battlefield 4. Sure ill never see the difference and the 5770 handled all of my gaming needs at the time. But I know it will be able to handle more even though the user experience won't change all that drastically. I still know that it handles more and will surpass the the older models at some point in time. Considering the monumental leap in benchmarks the iPhone 5S is going to further exceed the IPhone 5 more than it exceeded the 4S. It's a tantalizing thought and a very solid reason to buy the phone knowing its going to be a powerhouse and last a lot longer.

It doesn't really matter, I was just pointing out that a person choosing the iPhone BECAUSE of this seemed odd, like choosing a car because of a new ECU they installed on it vs. anything else.

Coachbulldog

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site

The points you make are exactly what many folks that passionately defend their device fail to realize. The overwhelming majority of smartphone consumers have zero knowledge of, and could care less about, the specifications of the phone. I am one of these people. I don't know anything about pixels-all I care is the pictures I take of my grandchildren look good. Streaming rates-no idea but I know I can watch live MLB and NHL games on my iPhone without issue. Processor speed-once again I've clue what means but I know in the two years I've had an iPhone 4s it is never failed to do what I wanted or needed it to do. I'm sure specification comparisons are fun for those interested in the technical aspect of devices but I don't believe they are a huge selling point.

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Fantastic results. Ahead of the curve as usual. We all know that Apple hasn't increased potential performance this much just to let it lay dormant. They have some plans in store, and I for one can't wait to see what comes next.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner