Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    713 Global Posts

Default iWork? Does Anyone Care?

Haven't heard much coverage about iWork being free for new iOS devices. I personally own a PC and use Windows Live for my web based processing needs. When Apple released the Beta of iCloud and iWork, I was drawn into it. And now that it will come from free on the web and pre-installed on new iDevices, that makes it better. I am pretty excited about this.

I wonder if iOS 7 on my 4s will get the apps installed when I do install iOS 7? Nothing was said about this particular scenario, all that was said was "new iOS devices" will receive it free. If anyone could answer that, thanks!
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

Default Re: iWork? Does Anyone Care?

I played with it briefly when they offered the beta in iCloud. Hard to compete with Google who offers the same services for free with Google drive. Should the apps be free once I update to IOS 7 on my i5 I may give it another look. If not...who cares lol!
    Last edited by MrMars; 09-10-2013 at 08:26 PM.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    713 Global Posts

Google does offer the same stuff for free, but I became anti-google when Plus came out. You can't do anything without it being thrown in your face and even though there are several reports about their "don't be evil" doings, in my personal experience, they are doing things that aren't really evil, but shouldn't subject users of their service to be forced into certain things. So, you can either stick around, or leave, and I left. Just my opinion though.

I was not an Apple product user until the iPhone. And so far, my experience has been positive, I am hoping these new free services will carry that forward.

Global Posts
    11,131 Global Posts
    iOS Version

iWork will come only with new devices... but - once you download and get them into iTunes, I'm not sure if the apps will then be available to the rest of your devices or not...
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates

Global Posts
    14,548 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1

I clearly states in the keynote video at the 17:15 mark about iWork it is on all new devices iPhone, iPad 2, iPad 4 and 5th Gen iTouch.

This is what you will see. Keith.....I also posted this in a thread started by someone under apps and games..
    http://forums.imore.com/apps-games/261506-iwork-apps-now-available-free-download-any-new-ios-device.html

iWork? Does Anyone Care?-capture.pngiWork? Does Anyone Care?-capture1.png
    ~JAG~
    Ambassador @ iMore

​In Memory Of Steve Jobs ... Rest In iPeace

iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,743 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguarr40 View Post
    I clearly states in the keynote video at the 17:15 mark about iWork it is on all new devices iPhone, iPad 2, iPad 4 and 5th Gen iTouch.

This is what you will see. Keith.....I also posted this in a thread started by someone under apps and games..
    http://forums.imore.com/apps-games/261506-iwork-apps-now-available-free-download-any-new-ios-device.html

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	154 
Size:	247.7 KB 
ID:	37545Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture1.PNG 
Views:	153 
Size:	171.8 KB 
ID:	37546
    I think it just has to go live after the 18th I don't see it working on a gm as that's for dev .. I am guessing we will see it pop up to download once we install the official release

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !
    Jaguarr40 likes this.

Global Posts
    14,548 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1

I agree or as it says NEW DEVICE.
    ~JAG~
    Ambassador @ iMore

​In Memory Of Steve Jobs ... Rest In iPeace

iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    944 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.0.4

So iWork is only free to devices sold going forward? For example my iPhone 5 and I are not eligible right?
    "The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do." -Steve Jobs
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    142 Global Posts

its new devices, yes. I already have iWork but I'm happy to see this because it'll help make iWork more popular, and help break the MS Office stranglehold.
    iMore Pro

iOS Version
    iOS 6

i'm more excited for iPhoto being free. I bought iMovie already so no need for that, but iPhoto seems useful to me. I'm not sure why yet, but it does.

Global Posts
    17,430 Global Posts
    iOS Version

The iWorks app is really not an issue for me, being that I have it installed on my MacBook and it is available to me via iCloud. Furthermore, I doubt I'd use it on my iPhone especially being that the majority of my extended writing (via my iPhone) is done using iA Writer or the Drafts app.
    iMore Intermediate

They said that anyone updating to iOS 7 will be eligible didn't they? There will be a pop up with a code to download it.

Global Posts
    14,988 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.x.x

Does not matter to me.. But good to have options out there...
    John Yester
    Moderator Team Leader, iMore.com

Jaguarr40 and JustMe'D like this.

Global Posts
    11,131 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguarr40 View Post

http://forums.imore.com/apps-games/2...os-device.html
    Duh. New devices. I get that. I don't dispute that. What is at issue is if you get a new device, get the app(s) and they are in your iTunes library, can these apps downloaded for free be also installed on other devices under the same AppleID.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
  15. Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    713 Global Posts

I was thinking the new ipsw image will have the iWork apps loaded into it, so if I would upgrade my 4s, wouldn't the new ipsw bring along the app package? Or is segregation between images and devices still a factor for it not to be in the ipsw?
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    4,527 Global Posts

I think that any sort of Spreadsheets/Word Processing is painful at best on a mobile device. That said, iWork for iOS is the best suite, hands down for this type of thing. It's so close to its desktop counterparts in terms of performance and features, that you can basically make a full, rich, print-ready publication directly on an iDevice. I already own them all, so being free doesn't matter to me at this point. But it's huge for new users. It's now another advantage that Apple can leverage over the competition. Not only do they make some of the best first-party apps, they're also completely free.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    4,527 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xMatter View Post
    I was thinking the new ipsw image will have the iWork apps loaded into it, so if I would upgrade my 4s, wouldn't the new ipsw bring along the app package? Or is segregation between images and devices still a factor for it not to be in the ipsw?
    They said in the keynote that it will present the user with an option to download them from the app store. They won't be pre-loaded on the device. The whole suite weighs in at around 2GB, so it would take a huge chunk out of the memory on the low end devices.

Global Posts
    14,988 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.x.x

I would take it as a yes... Since it's locked to the Apple ID. Now they "could" have the same as other developers iPhone version and iPad version... iPad which may not be new to user, it may not push over.. It may have to be purchased...
    John Yester

19. Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    713 Global Posts

Mike: well put for leveraging new users. Now if Apple would just release a web based version of storage similar to SkyDrive or Drive, they would have all bases covered in my book.
  20. Thread AuthorThread Author   #20  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    713 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mikeo007 View Post
    They said in the keynote that it will present the user with an option to download them from the app store. They won't be pre-loaded on the device. The whole suite weighs in at around 2GB, so it would take a huge chunk out of the memory on the low end devices.
    Ah I see. I didn't watch the entire keynote yet. But that makes sense to me now.
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by SprSynJn View Post
    They said that anyone updating to iOS 7 will be eligible didn't they? There will be a pop up with a code to download it.
    No. They specifically mentioned "any new device". And it’s not an issue to me, as I already have all but Numbers and Keynote on my iOS devices... not sure I will be creating any presentations on my phone...

BTW, did anyone notice Tim Cook's gaff in the keynote? Check out the video at the 17:19 mark where Cook called Pages "the most beautiful spreadsheet ever written for a mobile device". Clearly he confused Pages and Numbers...
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    Jaguarr40 likes this.
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    5,548 Global Posts

I own all those freebies so it's not a big deal to me. None are installed but the Pages app. That could change if I get a Mac but don't have a use for them.

Global Posts
    14,988 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.x.x

1. iPhoto, iMovie, Keynote, Pages, and Numbers are free on the App Store for qualifying iOS 7 compatible devices activated after September 1, 2013. See for iOS 7 compatible devices. Downloading apps requires an Apple ID.

John Yester

24. Thread AuthorThread Author   #24  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    713 Global Posts

I followed the link and know that my 4s is compatible, but said nothing about iWork. It says devices activated after September 1st. I wonder if I can wipe my phone after 7 install and get the apps. Technically the iPhone activates after a wipe, not a new activation, maybe just an activation with AT&T but its still worth a shot.

Global Posts
    14,988 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.x.x

True this is something a lot of us are trying to clarify...
    John Yester

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast