iWork? Does Anyone Care?

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Haven't heard much coverage about iWork being free for new iOS devices. I personally own a PC and use Windows Live for my web based processing needs. When Apple released the Beta of iCloud and iWork, I was drawn into it. And now that it will come from free on the web and pre-installed on new iDevices, that makes it better. I am pretty excited about this.

I wonder if iOS 7 on my 4s will get the apps installed when I do install iOS 7? Nothing was said about this particular scenario, all that was said was "new iOS devices" will receive it free. If anyone could answer that, thanks!

MrMars

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
I played with it briefly when they offered the beta in iCloud. Hard to compete with Google who offers the same services for free with Google drive. Should the apps be free once I update to IOS 7 on my i5 I may give it another look. If not...who cares lol!

Last edited:

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Google does offer the same stuff for free, but I became anti-google when Plus came out. You can't do anything without it being thrown in your face and even though there are several reports about their "don't be evil" doings, in my personal experience, they are doing things that aren't really evil, but shouldn't subject users of their service to be forced into certain things. So, you can either stick around, or leave, and I left. Just my opinion though.

I was not an Apple product user until the iPhone. And so far, my experience has been positive, I am hoping these new free services will carry that forward.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
iWork will come only with new devices... but - once you download and get them into iTunes, I'm not sure if the apps will then be available to the rest of your devices or not...

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I clearly states in the keynote video at the 17:15 mark about iWork it is on all new devices iPhone, iPad 2, iPad 4 and 5th Gen iTouch.

This is what you will see. Keith.....I also posted this in a thread started by someone under apps and games..
http://forums.imore.com/apps-games/261506-iwork-apps-now-available-free-download-any-new-ios-device.html

View attachment 37545View attachment 37546

I think it just has to go live after the 18th I don't see it working on a gm as that's for dev .. I am guessing we will see it pop up to download once we install the official release

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

John Flud

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
its new devices, yes. I already have iWork but I'm happy to see this because it'll help make iWork more popular, and help break the MS Office stranglehold.

Dennisgarcia

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
i'm more excited for iPhoto being free. I bought iMovie already so no need for that, but iPhoto seems useful to me. I'm not sure why yet, but it does.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The iWorks app is really not an issue for me, being that I have it installed on my MacBook and it is available to me via iCloud. Furthermore, I doubt I'd use it on my iPhone especially being that the majority of my extended writing (via my iPhone) is done using iA Writer or the Drafts app.

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
They said that anyone updating to iOS 7 will be eligible didn't they? There will be a pop up with a code to download it.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I clearly states in the keynote video at the 17:15 mark about iWork it is on all new devices iPhone, iPad 2, iPad 4 and 5th Gen iTouch.

This is what you will see. Keith.....I also posted this in a thread started by someone under apps and games..
http://forums.imore.com/apps-games/261506-iwork-apps-now-available-free-download-any-new-ios-device.html

Duh. New devices. I get that. I don't dispute that. What is at issue is if you get a new device, get the app(s) and they are in your iTunes library, can these apps downloaded for free be also installed on other devices under the same AppleID.

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking the new ipsw image will have the iWork apps loaded into it, so if I would upgrade my 4s, wouldn't the new ipsw bring along the app package? Or is segregation between images and devices still a factor for it not to be in the ipsw?

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I think that any sort of Spreadsheets/Word Processing is painful at best on a mobile device. That said, iWork for iOS is the best suite, hands down for this type of thing. It's so close to its desktop counterparts in terms of performance and features, that you can basically make a full, rich, print-ready publication directly on an iDevice. I already own them all, so being free doesn't matter to me at this point. But it's huge for new users. It's now another advantage that Apple can leverage over the competition. Not only do they make some of the best first-party apps, they're also completely free.

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking the new ipsw image will have the iWork apps loaded into it, so if I would upgrade my 4s, wouldn't the new ipsw bring along the app package? Or is segregation between images and devices still a factor for it not to be in the ipsw?

They said in the keynote that it will present the user with an option to download them from the app store. They won't be pre-loaded on the device. The whole suite weighs in at around 2GB, so it would take a huge chunk out of the memory on the low end devices.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
I would take it as a yes... Since it's locked to the Apple ID. Now they "could" have the same as other developers iPhone version and iPad version... iPad which may not be new to user, it may not push over.. It may have to be purchased...

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Mike: well put for leveraging new users. Now if Apple would just release a web based version of storage similar to SkyDrive or Drive, they would have all bases covered in my book.

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
They said in the keynote that it will present the user with an option to download them from the app store. They won't be pre-loaded on the device. The whole suite weighs in at around 2GB, so it would take a huge chunk out of the memory on the low end devices.

Ah I see. I didn't watch the entire keynote yet. But that makes sense to me now.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox