My take on a bigger screen

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
It has been written on here that since iPhones account for more than half of carriers' smartphone sales, then large-screen phones must not be in demand as much as some people (and sites) would like you to think they are. My opinion is that a great number of people want a 4.3-5 inch screen, but also do not want to leave iOS, and make the choice to stay with Apple and hope for a bigger-screen iPhone. If Apple were to release a 4.7-inch iPhone option, I think that sales would be off the charts, with a large number of them being current Android owners.
I am trying to stay with my i5, but the Moto X is very tempting. It is the first optimized Android phone, which makes it just as smooth as iOS, and the form factor is still good for one-handed use. Android has made great strides, but I think that a bigger screen iPhone would slow down that train.
And as Rene stated yesterday on the iMore show, just a small marketshare increase is a huge profit increase.

Last edited:

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
Apple isn't trying to be like Android. Don't see a huge screen anytime soon. Apple is really big about being able to use one hand(thumb) for everything. Not everyone wants a phatablet device.

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Apple isn't trying to be like Android. Don't see a huge screen anytime soon. Apple is really big about being able to use one hand(thumb) for everything. Not everyone wants a phatablet device.

A phone like the Moto X can be used one-handed. It is a 4.7 inch screen with a small form factor, and not even close to being a phablet. And I'm glad that Apple isn't trying to be like Android, but the option of a bigger screen would put a boatload of money in their bank account.

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
A phone like the Moto X can be used one-handed. It is a 4.7 inch screen with a small form factor, and not even close to being a phablet. And I'm glad that Apple isn't trying to be like Android, but the option of a bigger screen would put a boatload of money in their bank account.

That's true, I've played with it but still don't see Apple jumping screen size any time soon.

sanc333

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
A phone like the Moto X can be used one-handed. It is a 4.7 inch screen with a small form factor, and not even close to being a phablet..
sorry but most people don't have as big hands as you have. ladies feel 4 inch is the perfect size and some people with small hands feel even 4 inch is too big. so it comes to the personal taste. but for those people who only want to own one device thats the combination of a phone and a tablet then its perfect for them.

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
@sanc33-- "sorry but most people don't have as big hands as you have. ladies feel 4 inch is the perfect size and some people with small hands feel even 4 inch is too big. so it comes to the personal taste."

That is why I said the OPTION of a bigger screen. Have 2 sizes.

Good OL MC

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure that whenever Apple feels that they can combine battery life, build quality, and screen quality together in to a package that supports a larger screen with the right profit margin they will make one. A lot of devices right now are proving that just because they are wider than the iPhone doesn't mean their one handed ease of use suffers on the keyboard.

I think what tends to suffer more comes down to how the OS expects you to behave. My biggest complaint with large Android phones is that the notification area is SO good that I spend a lot of time there - but reaching it can be a chore. This is not as much of a problem on Windows Phone where that area doesn't exist or iOS where the pull down isn't as helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Here's the problem with *any* size bigger screen as I've heard it (someone feel free to correct me if I'm factually mistaken on this...).

Currently, there are only 4 screen sizes that developers have to configure for iOS apps: iPhone 3.5" sizes, iPhone 4", iPad mini 8", and the two different resolutions for iPad 10" sizes. Contrast this to the literally hundreds of screen sizes that Android devices are composed of.

(yes, I know that today's Android developer tools allow an app to automatically scale to any screen size, but there's a reason that many developers say that Android takes much more development time compared to iOS).

Is adding yet another screen size and resolution to develop for worth the added fragmentation of iOS device screen sizes?

Sure, it's "just one more" size to program for, but that *almost* sounds like a slippery slope to me.

That and I'm not convinced that 4.7" is easy for one-handed use as some people claim. I have average sized hands myself and could tell a distinct difference in one-handed usability between my 4.3" Galaxy S2 and my iPhone 5. The extra width of the GS2 made a confident one-handed grip and use noticeably more difficult. It's the extra width that makes it harder.

I know that everyone's use cases are different, but for myself I value ease of portability (fit in my pocket) and one handed use over a bigger screen. If I REALLY need a bigger screen, then that's what my tablet is for.

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
"Is adding yet another screen size and resolution to develop for worth the added fragmentation of iOS device screen sizes?"

IMHO, yes. Developers just need to adjust.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
How many times can this same thread be made? Holy jeeeez...

It comes down to one thing...ONE...and that is majority rule within the consumer base. The consumer base is happy with the existing size, so it stays. Thankfully, I'm part of that consumer base that agrees that is fine as it is, and have no desire to see a bigger iPhone screen. Maybe it will happen one day, but it won't be because a niche of people complain that they "need" a bigger screened iPhone, it will be because the market demands it in bulk, regardless of how many of these threads pop up every year right before the release date clamoring ON and ON about how they need to up the size a bit.

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
How many times can this same thread be made? Holy jeeeez...

It comes down to one thing...ONE...and that is majority rule within the consumer base. The consumer base is happy with the existing size, so it stays. Thankfully, I'm part of that consumer base that agrees that is fine as it is, and have no desire to see a bigger iPhone screen. Maybe it will happen one day, but it won't be because a niche of people complain that they "need" a bigger screened iPhone, it will be because the market demands it in bulk, regardless of how many of these threads pop up every year right before the release date clamoring ON and ON about how they need to up the size a bit.

So, what would be the problem with having 2 sizes?

Dennisgarcia

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I personally can see the benefit of having an iPhone with a bigger screen. My boyfriend loves iOS 7 but couldn't handle the "small screen" on the iPhone 5 so he move to an S4. I'm comfortable with the current size of the iPhone 5 screen. Sure it be cool to see a bigger sized iPhone. But I wouldn't like it if it got wider. It would be like holding an iPad mini mini. I really do wonder though with that said, how they are going to do the next iPhone 6.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
So, what would be the problem with having 2 sizes?

It's not worth the time or money right now.

Is there a benefit to a bigger screen? Sure!

Is there a demand? Certainly!

...but as it sits right now, there's a bigger demand for what we have, and there's more benefit to satisfying that very large segment for Apple without delving into releasing multiple premium line smart phones. One product already juggernauts the competition each year, so why complicate that?

rjkgr

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
i dont believe you can go with a bigger screen for the iPhone but would love to see it..... i wouldnt be able to hold the phone and do things one handed if it was a bigger screen because now i can barely do things one handed with the 5!

wolfedude88

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
It's not worth the time or money right now.

Is there a benefit to a bigger screen? Sure!

Is there a demand? Certainly!

...but as it sits right now, there's a bigger demand for what we have, and there's more benefit to satisfying that very large segment for Apple without delving into releasing multiple premium line smart phones. One product already juggernauts the competition each year, so why complicate that?

Actually you can't say there is a bigger demand one way or another for a bigger screen or not.

What you can say is there is a demand for an iPhone, lots of iPhone users like the current screen size, lots want a bigger screen. But currently the biggest there is is 4 inches. So if you want an iPhone it is 4 inch screen or nothing.

The majority of iPhone users love the os and won't leave even if they don't like the screen size.

So we have no idea what the bigger demand is for a bigger screen until apple releases one.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR