Verizon's iPhone Commitment

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Looks like Verizon's gambit paid off.

"Apple's iPhone accounted for 51% of all smartphone activations at Verizon in Q2

Verizon activated a total of 7.5 million smartphones in the quarter, with about 27 percent of those new to the carrier. During a conference call with investors and members of the media, Verizon Chief Financial Officer Fran Shammo revealed that 3.8 million of those smartphones were Apple's iPhone.

In comparison, Verizon activated just 2.7 million iPhones in the same quarter a year ago. That means iPhone activations grew 41 percent year over year at Verizon."

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13...f-all-smartphone-activations-at-verizon-in-q2

tgp

Trusted Member
Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I read this article on Motley Fool regarding Verizon's likely shortfall in iPhone sales.

Will Apple Really Force Verizon to Cough up $14 Billion? - AAPL, CHL, DCM, VZ - Foolish Blogging Network

It will be interesting to see how Apple handles this situation. Personally, I think Verizon needs to take responsibility for this since it is well known that Verizon's sales force actively promotes non-Apple handsets.

I agree that Apple should force Verizon to honor the contract, but yet they shouldn't alienate Verizon. It's too big a market for Apple to lose. The two companies will probably end up with a compromise.

bunjy

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I agree that Apple should force Verizon to honor the contract, but yet they shouldn't alienate Verizon. It's too big a market for Apple to lose. The two companies will probably end up with a compromise.

I agree that a compromise is a likely outcome. However, any change in the contract should include the requirement that Verizon step up its iPhone sales and marketing efforts.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I agree that a compromise is a likely outcome. However, any change in the contract should include the requirement that Verizon step up its iPhone sales and marketing efforts.

Yeah. Verizon's marketing efforts for the iPhone suck. Blackberry does a better job
marketing BB10. That's when you know your marketing really blows.