Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37
Like Tree32Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    hallda01's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    4 Posts
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts

    Default Does the aging iPhone user hurt new phone sales?

    First off, this is mostly based off of anecdotal evidence so don't take it too seriously; it's just a thought I had.

    I'm in my twenties, and like many people my age, I'm usually chomping at the bit to get my upgrade a good 6 months prior to my actual date. I can't wait to get the latest and greatest. You should've seen the smartphone envy I had when my wife had the HTC One and I had the BlackBerry Bold 9930. Meanwhile, my Dad is the sort of person that thinks more on the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality. He's rocking an LG Rumor POS slider with a non-capacitive touchscreen, and he's had an upgrade for 2 months just sitting there. I feel like a lot of older people that are not used to the quick turnover in electronics are like this, and don't mind missing out on the best features because they're comfortable with the device they had (which probably took them a long time to figure out in the first place).

    In my professional life (I'm a first-year attorney) I find that a lot of middle aged and older lawyers and office staff have iPhones. They don't really know much about technology or phones or anything (one time I told a co-worker that my wife got the HTC One, specifically saying "HTC" and he asked if that was a Samsung or a Droid), but they know that the iPhone is a great phone, so they get iPhones (much like a few years back when business people knew BlackBerrys were great so they got BlackBerrys). These are the same type of people that have the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality that my Dad has. They were dragged kicking and screaming into the smart phone arena, spent forever trying to figure out this device, and don't want to rock the boat again. They will be using that iPhone 4s until it completely dies.

    These people that hold on to a device until it breaks, as opposed to until it is old, seem much more likely to get an iPhone than one of the Android or Windows flagships lately. So my question is, do you think that these sort of consumers will drive down sales of iPhones in the long run compared to the other platforms? Should Apple change to try and attract more users who want to be on the cutting edge?
    Jaguarr40 and kataran like this.
  2. #2  
    JustMe'D's Avatar

    Posts
    17,212 Posts
    Global Posts
    17,421 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4

    Default Does the aging iPhone user hurt new phone sales?

    First, my answers to your questions are No and No. Having said that, I am 50 years old and have been a tech enthusiasts almost all my life. I've always been among the people who had the cutting edge stuff first. Now, however, I have found that iOS is sufficient for my smartphone needs. Mind you, I said "iOS" and not the iPhone. In other words, a first generation iPhone is not sufficient for me, however, a 4S and my iPhone 5 are. There is only one iPhone but it is always being updated and improved which makes your analysis a tad moot. Staying with the iPhone basically means staying with the brand and not necessarily the specific iPhone version. I hope that made sense. If not, forgive me. I'm not having one of my better days.
  3. #3  
    the_stig#WN's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    120 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,052 Global Posts

    Default Re: Does the aging iPhone user hurt new phone sales?

    I see your point. Most everyone in my family, and in my workplace, have iPhones. But none of them are a smartphone junkie like me.

    Take my wife for instance - she said this "why would I ever need another phone, this one is perfect." Now, the battery on her iPhone 4 is slowly degrading. I could easily replace it (been there done that), but some people just don't care about the latest and greatest.

    Also, the other people in my family are put off by the lightning port in the new iPhone 5. "Why would they do this.... To make more money blah blah....". Whereas you and I, we would just get adapters for our most expensive toys or just bite the bullet for the sake of progress and get new cords/gear. Point is that a normal smartphone user is not like us at all. They might text, email, and surf the web a little, and update their calendar. They may never have to respond quickly to 5 emails while texting 3 other people while editing a spreadsheet and being on a call at the same time. Even if you don't need to do all that, you might still want the best tech in your pocket. That's ok too....

    It could be a combo of people just don't care / budgets are tight. Not in the attorney crowd you mentioned, but the majority are probably just happy with what they have. Those batteries will wear out eventually LOL.
    Jaguarr40 likes this.
  4. #4  
    Jaguarr40's Avatar

    Posts
    10,639 Posts
    Global Posts
    14,542 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1

    Default Re: Does the aging iPhone user hurt new phone sales?

    I don't think so speaking from being 50+ and it seems like every time lately I go into Best Buy I see a married couple that I presume to be older than me buying iPhones together. I also as I am out see more and more elder people with iPhones as well. My answer would be not at all does it hurt anything.
    ~JAG~
    Ambassador @ iMore

    ​In Memory Of Steve Jobs ... Rest In iPeace


    JustMe'D likes this.
  5. #5  
    qbnkelt's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    226 Posts
    Global Posts
    16,074 Global Posts

    Default Re: Does the aging iPhone user hurt new phone sales?

    Nope.

    Almost all twenty and thirty somethings on the Metro carry iPhones.

    Most teen guys carry Androids.

    Most teen girls carry iPhones.

    Most young teenagers carry iPhones.

    That's on the DC Metro.



    Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
  6. #6  
    pr1nce's Avatar


    Posts
    6,725 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,279 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.1.1

    Default Re: Does the aging iPhone user hurt new phone sales?

    Absolutely not. Being an upper 50 something user myself. I have many friends around my age who are very tech savvy and iOS users themselves.
    Jaguarr40 and Mr.Willie like this.
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    hallda01's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    4 Posts
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts

    Default Re: Does the aging iPhone user hurt new phone sales?

    Quote Originally Posted by qbnkelt View Post
    Nope.

    Almost all twenty and thirty somethings on the Metro carry iPhones.

    Most teen guys carry Androids.

    Most teen girls carry iPhones.

    Most young teenagers carry iPhones.

    That's on the DC Metro.
    I'm not saying those people don't buy iPhones too, I'm just asking that if a large chunk of their consumer base upgrades less often will it hurt them.
  8. #8  
    LazyStarGazer's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    642 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,766 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Sicks

    Default Re: Does the aging iPhone user hurt new phone sales?

    I would say people hanging on to their iPhones as long as possible wont hurt them at all.
    For the ' If it ain't broke' crowd, they will hang on to their device until they are forced to upgrade.
    This is where Apples industry best customer satisfaction kicks in.
    If the device serves them well, guess what they will buy?
    Another iPhone.
    What will they recommend to their friends, family & colleagues?
    An iPhone.

    Less frequent upgrades are offset by positive word of mouth.
    These people want something that's easy to understand, dependable and is supported by the manufacturer (ios upgrades, updates, new features) after they grudgingly part with their hard earned dollahs.
    Odds are, so do their friends.
    Wut?
  9. #9  
    Fausty82's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,597 Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

    Default Re: Does the aging iPhone user hurt new phone sales?

    I’m going to vote with the masses here... as a nearly-60 year old user, I can’t wait for the annual iPhone release. I also agree with D, as the updates to iOS keep good, solid hardware on the cutting edge, and, as far as I am concerned, I am quite satisfied to be using the iPhone and the latest version of iOS...

    The same is true with my family - 95% use iPhones, and only a couple use Android...
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    Irish Rose and kataran like this.
  10. #10  
    Spat's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    103 Posts

    Default Re: Does the aging iPhone user hurt new phone sales?

    60+ here and have iPhone 5 and iPad 4. Won't even admit how much time I spend on them daily!!
    kataran likes this.
  11. #11  
    SeanHRCC's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    7,969 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,971 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

    Default Re: Does the aging iPhone user hurt new phone sales?

    What is not "cutting edge" about the iPhone that these people would flock away to? Apple could offer a set of different colors of iPhone 5 in the fall without changing anything physically or mechanically and it would still fly off the shelves...they don't really need to change anything.

    The iPhone breaks sales records every year...they move so many of them that manufacturers avoid release dates of their devices so they can enjoy some profit off of them. Do I think that an aging iPhone user base will hurt new iPhone sales? I sure don't...because I don't think there is an aging iPhone consumer base, I think it is about as age spectrum neutral as a device can get. The consumer market is not primarily made up of these types of long term keepers...the consumer base is primarily made up of people who want the latest and greatest, and because of that, the newest version of iPhone will continue to sell like hot cakes every...single...year.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
  12. #12  
    madeinhb's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    104 Posts
    Global Posts
    199 Global Posts

    Default Re: Does the aging iPhone user hurt new phone sales?

    In my 20's, I ways wanted the next greatest gadget. Now that I'm 33, I find that if my phone does what I need it to, I can use the money on other things. I think it's perception of money.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Does the aging iPhone user hurt new phone sales?

    In my mid 50's and have the iPhone 5 and iPad 4, I'm always looking to update and upgrade. Don't think age has anything to do with it, just interests.
    Taz323
    Moderator


    Community Rules & Guidelines
    App and Developer Rules & Guidelines
    Marketplace Rules & Guidelines
    Irish Rose likes this.
  14. #14  
    sting7k's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,530 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,253 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.2

    Default Re: Does the aging iPhone user hurt new phone sales?

    I don't think so because I see just as many people my age who do the same thing. They will be rocking their iPhone 4 until it no longer functions and then they will just go get the newest one when they absolutely must. It's not exclusive to the iPhone either. I've been trying for months to get my buddy to upgrade his HTC Incredible. But things like better processors, more RAM, a much improved OS, and all that fall on pretty much deaf ears. He says it currently works fine so he doesn't see why he needs to upgrade.
  15. Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  
    hallda01's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    4 Posts
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts

    Default Re: Does the aging iPhone user hurt new phone sales?

    Quote Originally Posted by taz323 View Post
    In my mid 50's and have the iPhone 5 and iPad 4, I'm always looking to update and upgrade. Don't think age has anything to do with it, just interests.
    The more I read these comments, the more I find myself agreeing with you. It's not about age at all I'm finding, it's about whether or not you're a fan of tech.
  16. #16  
    Alli's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    11,059 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

    Default Re: Does the aging iPhone user hurt new phone sales?

    Another 50+ tech junky here. (Have you noticed the ages of the mods & ambassadors here on iMore?) I have two lines just so I'm ALWAYS eligible for an upgrade.

    Additionally, we old folk have more disposable income than the 20 something's to spend on the latest and greatest.
    Irish Rose likes this.
  17. #17  
    charlyee's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    341 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,594 Global Posts

    Default Re: Does the aging iPhone user hurt new phone sales?

    I don't believe age has anything to do with the "it ain't broke ......" syndrome. My young cousin has to be coaxed into any change. He had me fix his two year old Evo Shift three times, after which I finally put my foot down and talked him into an iPhone5.

    So I am with the others on this.


    Sent From My iPhone 5 Using Tapatalk
    QTEK 9100 > Samsung Blackjack > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > BB 9700 > Xperia X10 > Motorola Atrix > HTC Vivid > Lumia 900 > Lumia 820 > iPhone 5 > Moto X
    Irish Rose likes this.
  18. #18  
    EauRouge's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    251 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,631 Global Posts

    Default Re: Does the aging iPhone user hurt new phone sales?

    There is no point to discussing this here. Those "aging people" you are referring to would not be on a site like this or reading forums like this. Its better off to do a random survey on the street asking people when they suspect they will upgrade their phones
  19. #19  
    pizzafootbal's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    224 Posts
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts

    Default Re: Does the aging iPhone user hurt new phone sales?

    Interesting thoughts, but I think you may be wrong. My generation has grown up seeing the latest and greatest, and wanting it. Your father grew up the opposite. It has to do with the culture that he was raised in, in my opinion.
  20. #20  
    Guacho's Avatar
    iMore Expert

    Posts
    876 Posts

    Default Re: Does the aging iPhone user hurt new phone sales?

    I'm 40, oh wait... I thought this was a " tell your age" game... 😮😮
  21. #21  
    lovemyspanish's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    139 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,461 Global Posts

    Default Re: Does the aging iPhone user hurt new phone sales?

    I was very surprised to see that a lot of the major players on this topic were as old as they are. I'm a 53 year old user. I am finally secure in my rights to choose what works for me. I have been a major player in the Blackberry and Android arena. I've just realize iOS works for me. I actually bought my husband his first IPhone4s. I played around with it instead of my Z10. Then after only a few months I threw in the towel with the Verizon Z10. I have never looked back. It just works and I will come back year after year.
    Alli, pr1nce, kataran and 1 others like this.
  22. #22  
    Jrome.brooks's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    635 Posts
    Global Posts
    832 Global Posts

    Default Re: Does the aging iPhone user hurt new phone sales?

    People buy iPhones for different things but the main things are this
    1. It's simple/easy anybody can work an iPhone young and old
    If your not tech savvy an Android would be foreign to you
    2. The camera one of the best in the market and the most used from any smartphone
  23. #23  
    LazyStarGazer's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    642 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,766 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Sicks

    Default Re: Does the aging iPhone user hurt new phone sales?

    Quote Originally Posted by Guacho View Post
    I'm 40, oh wait... I thought this was a " tell your age" game... ����
    I wanna play too!
    I'm now closer to 50 than I am to 40.
    Wut?
    lovemyspanish likes this.
  24. #24  
    Mr.Willie's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    116 Posts
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts

    Default Re: Does the aging iPhone user hurt new phone sales?

    Quote Originally Posted by hallda01 View Post
    First off, this is mostly based off of anecdotal evidence so don't take it too seriously; it's just a thought I had.

    I'm in my twenties, and like many people my age, I'm usually chomping at the bit to get my upgrade a good 6 months prior to my actual date. I can't wait to get the latest and greatest. You should've seen the smartphone envy I had when my wife had the HTC One and I had the BlackBerry Bold 9930. Meanwhile, my Dad is the sort of person that thinks more on the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality. He's rocking an LG Rumor POS slider with a non-capacitive touchscreen, and he's had an upgrade for 2 months just sitting there. I feel like a lot of older people that are not used to the quick turnover in electronics are like this, and don't mind missing out on the best features because they're comfortable with the device they had (which probably took them a long time to figure out in the first place).

    In my professional life (I'm a first-year attorney) I find that a lot of middle aged and older lawyers and office staff have iPhones. They don't really know much about technology or phones or anything (one time I told a co-worker that my wife got the HTC One, specifically saying "HTC" and he asked if that was a Samsung or a Droid), but they know that the iPhone is a great phone, so they get iPhones (much like a few years back when business people knew BlackBerrys were great so they got BlackBerrys). These are the same type of people that have the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality that my Dad has. They were dragged kicking and screaming into the smart phone arena, spent forever trying to figure out this device, and don't want to rock the boat again. They will be using that iPhone 4s until it completely dies.

    These people that hold on to a device until it breaks, as opposed to until it is old, seem much more likely to get an iPhone than one of the Android or Windows flagships lately. So my question is, do you think that these sort of consumers will drive down sales of iPhones in the long run compared to the other platforms? Should Apple change to try and attract more users who want to be on the cutting edge?
    It's about priorities. I went with an HTC One (iPhone screen too small), of course I don't want carrier crapware on it. So it's rooted and ROMed. But the ROM is 10.0, and they currently have 12.0. There are other things I would rather be doing or are required to be doing. Same with them. What they have works, iPhone works, why waste time worrying about other systems ?

    Quote Originally Posted by hallda01 View Post
    The more I read these comments, the more I find myself agreeing with you. It's not about age at all I'm finding, it's about whether or not you're a fan of tech.
    I am sure these people are fans, it's about whether or not they let tech consume them. There is more to life than a fancy gadget.

    I laugh when I read posts about people buying both an S4 and a HTC One. They then get all obsessive about which one to return. Just buy a flagship device and don't worry about it. Does it really matter if one phone has an 18 hour battery life and the other 18 hour, 20 minutes ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jrome.brooks View Post
    People buy iPhones for different things but the main things are this
    1. It's simple/easy anybody can work an iPhone young and old
    If your not tech savvy an Android would be foreign to you
    2. The camera one of the best in the market and the most used from any smartphone
    Will you please provide a creditable source for the statement in bold, please. Preferably a legitimate scientific study.
    If you can't, may we please let this cliché and it's over used variants die ? I did say please.
  25. #25  
    Alli's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    11,059 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

    Default Re: Does the aging iPhone user hurt new phone sales?

    I stick with my comment. We aging iPhone users help new phone sales. We're the ones with disposable income and sense enough to spend it on what we want - the latest and greatest tech.

    ​I would think the 20 somethings hurt new phone sales. They don't even have jobs yet. Of course, their aging parents are helping sales if they're willing to buy a new phone for their little precious.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. New Guy Checks In
    By charlie fox in forum Introductions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-19-2013, 10:39 AM
  2. WTT: Want To Trade for Sprint iPhone 5
    By zackawee27 in forum The Marketplace - Buy, Sell & Trade
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-16-2013, 05:07 AM
  3. Broken iPhone 5?? HELP
    By cocoababy123 in forum iPhone 5
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-15-2013, 08:41 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-15-2013, 06:47 PM
  5. Where are the TV Shows and Movies icon?
    By csullivan1980 in forum Apple TV
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-15-2013, 05:59 PM

Posting Permissions

B