Considering saving up for a Mac book air. Some questions though.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
This guy refuses to do his own homework essentially, he just wants someone to TELL him which computer to get ultimately.

RavenSword, no offense man, but just go buy whatever damn computer works best for you, lol. I've never in my life seen someone get suggestions over and over again, advice on specs and then come back and ask the same questions again and again. I'm not trying to run you off, but holy crap man, you HAVE to make some decisions yourself, and you HAVE to do some of the leg work on your own.

Would the GTX650 be enough? Go look up people's reviews of it online. It's as simple as that. I'll even give you a hotlink to Google so you don't have to type it.

People must want to strangle you when you're at a restaurant looking at the menu, lol...

Lol, yeah sorry. I'm just a indecisive person who's afraid of making a purchasing mistake, you know? What funny is the iMacs are due for a refresh this year anyway, right? So they might have all new graphics cards and specs anyway, rendering my current debating potentialy irrelevant. And i need to save for it anyway, and my needs my very well change by the time I've saved enough for it.

I'll go look at the reviews for the GTX 650. Thanks everyone for your help and patience.

madeinhb

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Lol, yeah sorry. I'm just a indecisive person who's afraid of making a purchasing mistake, you know? What funny is the iMacs are due for a refresh this year anyway, right? So they might have all new graphics cards and specs anyway, rendering my current debating potentialy irrelevant. And i need to save for it anyway, and my needs my very well change by the time I've saved enough for it.

I'll go look at the reviews for the GTX 650. Thanks everyone for your help and patience.

If you're indecisive, maybe you shouldn't be buying a computer. After all they change very quickly. The one you buy now will be outdated in less than a year anyways.

Again, plenty of people have given you advice. Now it's time for you to make the decision. No one can make that but you. Plain and simple. There will never be a truly perfect choice. Just pick one.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
If you're indecisive, maybe you shouldn't be buying a computer. After all they change very quickly. The one you buy now will be outdated in less than a year anyways.

Again, plenty of people have given you advice. Now it's time for you to make the decision. No one can make that but you. Plain and simple. There will never be a truly perfect choice. Just pick one.

Yeah.

I do wonder how much apple will improve the macs when they refresh them this year. I simply don't have the space for a 27inch imac, so I would love for them to throw a beefier video card in the 21inch imac.

madeinhb

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Yeah.

I do wonder how much apple will improve the macs when they refresh them this year. I simply don't have the space for a 27inch imac, so I would love for them to throw a beefier video card in the 21inch imac.

You can't think like that. If I'm looking for a car, I don't sit and go, well I wonder what the newer model will have.

Save money and when you have the cash make the decision that you feel is best for you at the time from what is out. Stop asking people to tell you what to buy b

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
There isn't going to be some glorious improvement on the iMacs video card, it's not going to be some jaw dropping update to that aspect...will it be better? Of course it will, when computers are refreshed it wouldn't make much sense for them to regress.

The only thing you should concern yourself with (besides the frivolous details about storage and what not that only you can decide on) is whether the Haswell processors are worth it to you to hold out for, otherwise, just pick the machine that works best for you with the easy assumption that most options will remain the same or similar to what is available now.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Considering the OP has never used a Mac and really hasn't shown any interest in OS X or why he'd want one, it's probably a good idea to go in cheap. All the things he's listed that he'd do with a computer, can be done on his ipads. I'm guessing he's thinking of better gaming though despite him owning gaming consoles.

And now he has space limitations that eliminate a 27" monitor?

I'd recommend going back to basics and rethink why you'd want a Mac.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Considering the OP has never used a Mac and really hasn't shown any interest in OS X or why he'd want one, it's probably a good idea to go in cheap. All the things he's listed that he'd do with a computer, can be done on his ipads. I'm guessing he's thinking of better gaming though despite him owning gaming consoles.

And now he has space limitations that eliminate a 27" monitor?

I'd recommend going back to basics and rethink why you'd want a Mac.

I wanted a mac because:

1. I want something rock solid and something that just works. It's the same reason I like my ipad so mu h and the same reason I'm (probaly) going back to a iPhone from Android when my upgrade comes. They seem like real solid computers.

2. I don't want t have to worry about viruses or malware. I'm sure there are one or two scenarios where I can still get these on a mac, but I like having the comfort that it is so slim a chance that it's not worth worrying about

3. I'm kinda really embracing the apple connected ecosystem and how they talk to each other. I already own two ipad (a mini and a ipad 4) and I also owned a iPhone 5 a few months back, and I really liked how they all connected and worked together pretty seamlessly. I thought getting a iMac would further that connectivity.

4. I like the apple support. If I have any issues, the nearest apple store is only about 25 minutes away. With a PC, if something goes wrong, I'm left to my devices to figure it out. Might sound weird, but that support gives me a sort of comfort.

5. Even though I don't currently, I may wish to get into video or audio editing in the future. I hear macs are pretty great with that stuff.

So I guess those are my reasons for wanting a mac.

I'm going to release where the computer would go and see if I can fit the 27inch. Because, from a performance and accessibility point (in other words, user upgradable RAM) that's probably what I want. I just wasn't sure about the screen size.

madeinhb

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I wanted a mac because:

1. I want something rock solid and something that just works. It's the same reason I like my ipad so mu h and the same reason I'm (probaly) going back to a iPhone from Android when my upgrade comes. They seem like real solid computers.

2. I don't want t have to worry about viruses or malware. I'm sure there are one or two scenarios where I can still get these on a mac, but I like having the comfort that it is so slim a chance that it's not worth worrying about

3. I'm kinda really embracing the apple connected ecosystem and how they talk to each other. I already own two ipad (a mini and a ipad 4) and I also owned a iPhone 5 a few months back, and I really liked how they all connected and worked together pretty seamlessly. I thought getting a iMac would further that connectivity.

4. I like the apple support. If I have any issues, the nearest apple store is only about 25 minutes away. With a PC, if something goes wrong, I'm left to my devices to figure it out. Might sound weird, but that support gives me a sort of comfort.

5. Even though I don't currently, I may wish to get into video or audio editing in the future. I hear macs are pretty great with that stuff.

So I guess those are my reasons for wanting a mac.

I'm going to release where the computer would go and see if I can fit the 27inch. Because, from a performance and accessibility point (in other words, user upgradable RAM) that's probably what I want. I just wasn't sure about the screen size.

With the viruses, I still have an anti virus app running. I want to protect my family and friends from viruses being sent by me (even though they don't effect me)

As far as video editing goes. It depends what your plans are. If you want that as a job and move to Hollywood- depends. I moved from CA and used to do it. TV shows use FCP and movies use Avid. Maybe your best route is the Mac Mini.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
With the viruses, I still have an anti virus app running. I want to protect my family and friends from viruses being sent by me (even though they don't effect me)

As far as video editing goes. It depends what your plans are. If you want that as a job and move to Hollywood- depends. I moved from CA and used to do it. TV shows use FCP and movies use Avid. Maybe your best route is the Mac Mini.

Well, I'm probaly going to be doing audio editing more than anything. I'm pursuing an acting/voice acting career, so I would like to be able to do audio and some video editing.

madeinhb

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Well, I'm probaly going to be doing audio editing more than anything. I'm pursuing an acting/voice acting career, so I would like to be able to do audio and some video editing.

Hopefully more decisive on picking the gigs you will do for work :) haha sorry had to. Was too easy.

Any will do audio editing fine. Recording is a different question.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Hopefully more decisive on picking the gigs you will do for work :) haha sorry had to. Was too easy.

Any will do audio editing fine. Recording is a different question.

Ha ha, yeah. I've been slow rolling the acting/VO though and really want to jump start my actions towards it. So I figured I'd better think about audio editing and the like. Nd I always wanted to try video editing. Wether that be making YouTube videos or smashing together videos is video games with music underneath (like music videos, but game scenes.)

He'll, in that case the portability of a MacBook could be more ideal. Lol

madeinhb

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Ha ha, yeah. I've been slow rolling the acting/VO though and really want to jump start my actions towards it. So I figured I'd better think about audio editing and the like. Nd I always wanted to try video editing. Wether that be making YouTube videos or smashing together videos is video games with music underneath (like music videos, but game scenes.)

He'll, in that case the portability of a MacBook could be more ideal. Lol

Well if you want to act, concentrate on acting skills. Hollywood is union. So try will have editors, etc. concentrate on one and build those skills. If you want to act/vo, you don't need to edit or record. People don't care.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Well if you want to act, concentrate on acting skills. Hollywood is union. So try will have editors, etc. concentrate on one and build those skills. If you want to act/vo, you don't need to edit or record. People don't care.

Actually, in VO, learning how to record and edit audio is pretty invaluable. When you need to record auditions to send to casting directors or whatever, you usually do that from a personal studio type set up. I took some classes in college, so I have a basic understanding of pro tools. And took some radio production.

So I guess if it was a personal studio setup, I wouldn't need portability. Lol

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

At least you aren’t going into upper management where you have to make major decisions day-in and day-out. #Bwahaha

madeinhb

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Actually, in VO, learning how to record and edit audio is pretty invaluable. When you need to record auditions to send to casting directors or whatever, you usually do that from a personal studio type set up. I took some classes in college, so I have a basic understanding of pro tools. And took some radio production.

So I guess if it was a personal studio setup, I wouldn't need portability. Lol

Find someone who is getting into recording. VO isn't so much editing. You really need equipment to record it the best. I worked in the industry for 5 years.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Find someone who is getting into recording. VO isn't so much editing. You really need equipment to record it the best. I worked in the industry for 5 years.

Right. Yeah, I might know a few people. Still wouldn't mind knowing atleast the basics.

Can I ask what people buy the 27inch imac for? Because it just seems freakin huge to me, lol. Do they buy it because they need that screen size? What do they do on a screen that big.

Because, here's the thing (and I'm not meaning to sound like a broken record, but please hear me out guys)

I like the innards of the 27inch imac more. I like its better graphics card (I'd get the 675X) and I like that I can upgrade the ram on my own. Also higher resolution is nice. I feel like its more "future proof than the 21inch imac, and by that i mean i feel itll probaly handle what I theow at it longer than e 21inch imac.

However, I don't know how much of a pain in the *** a 27inch screen is going to be to fit in a apartment when In finally move out.

Does anyone have the 27inch imac? Do you find it to be too cumbersome?

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I couldn't live without a big monitor. Mainly for using excel and other accounting programs.

But there's plenty of other benefits. Gaming, videos, multiple windows, etc. Hopefully it's just common sense to know that a bigger screen equals a better experience for those things.

There's also the fact I prefer to have my own office at home. It's a way to get away from the kiddo, TV going on, etc. I don't really have a desire to use a pc in other rooms. If I'm in the living room ill use my iPhone or iPad.

I've never owned an all in one machine though. I think it's better to buy a monitor separately. And don't forget you can simply hook up your laptop to a monitor. A Mac mini would do the trick as well. A refurb Thunderbolt Display is 799.

In other words you could buy the air or mbp and always get a big display later.

Last edited:

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I couldn't live without a big monitor. Mainly for using excel and other accounting programs.

But there's plenty of other benefits. Gaming, videos, multiple windows, etc. Hopefully it's just common sense to know that a bigger screen equals a better experience for those things.

There's also the fact I prefer to have my own office at home. It's a way to get away from the kiddo, TV going on, etc. I don't really have a desire to use a pc in other rooms. If I'm in the living room ill use my iPhone or iPad.

I've never owned an all in one machine though. I think it's better to buy a monitor separately. And don't forget you can simply hook up your laptop to a monitor. A Mac mini would do the trick as well. A refurb Thunderbolt Display is 799.

In other words you could buy the air or mbp and always get a big display later.

Yeah, I can see that. It would be immersive for gaming, one of the things I kinda want to do on it,

Is their a meaningful difference between the 660 and 675 in the 27inch models. I've been looking online all day and can't find anything solid comparing the two.

Anyway, I should stop worrying about this for the time being. I don't even have the cash right now, lol

abazigal

May 9, 2013
Visit site
My experience is that the base 27" imac's graphic card isn't really enough to power games at 2560x1440 res. So be prepared to pony up the cash to upgrade the card if you intend to do any serious gaming.

Anyway, I should stop worrying about this for the time being. I don't even have the cash right now, lol

Still fun to theorise either way. :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox