Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By SeanHRCC
  • 1 Post By SeanHRCC
  • 1 Post By Paradocks
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Global Posts
    21,029 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Apple to Allow 3rd Party Keyboards?

According to an article via the iMore Blog, there are some who believe that Apple will open up and support 3rd keyboards. If that's true, there is only one I'm interested in and that's the Swype keyboard. The article can be read via the link below.

iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,537 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Default Re: Apple to Allow 3rd Party Keyboards?

There are also some people who believe that there is an underground colony of lizard people who surface every few hundred years to eradicate humanity...unfortunately we'll never know if this will actually happen until they decide to do it, but people will still believe it's coming.

I see the same thing year in and year out with iPhone rumors...and thus far, most of the rumors end up being swept under the rug until the next year, when the rumor mill starts spinning up again.

Look at what it takes for Google to get VASTLY popular and requested apps onto the iPhone with fluidity...then consider some of these rumors that keep floating around. It kind of puts things into perspective, and really hammers home the logic that these things will still be left to the jail breakers only.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Global Posts
    21,029 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    There are also some people who believe that there is an underground colony of lizard people who surface every few hundred years to eradicate humanity...unfortunately we'll never know if this will actually happen until they decide to do it, but people will still believe it's coming.

I see the same thing year in and year out with iPhone rumors...and thus far, most of the rumors end up being swept under the rug until the next year, when the rumor mill starts spinning up again.

Look at what it takes for Google to get VASTLY popular and requested apps onto the iPhone with fluidity...then consider some of these rumors that keep floating around. It kind of puts things into perspective, and really hammers home the logic that these things will still be left to the jail breakers only.
    You know I'm in agreement with you, my friend.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,537 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    You know I'm in agreement with you, my friend.
    That's because you're a damn fine fellow and great minds think alike!
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    Thanked by:
    JustMe'D (06-07-2013)
    JustMe'D likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,069 Global Posts

No way they will allow another keyboard. It's too integrated into the OS.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    280 Global Posts

Apple may or may not allow 3rd party keyboards, but I do wish they would make one change. On Apple's keyboard the letters are represented as ALL CAPS ALL THE TIME. Why can't the keyboard show lower case letters when you are typing in lower case and UPPER CASE LETTERS WHEN YOU ARE TYPING IN CAPS? It's much easier to know what mode the keyboard is in if the letters on the keyboard actually mimic what will be typed on the screen.

Sent from somewhere
    BlackBerry Guy likes this.

Global Posts
    15,614 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.x.x

I think more work could be done to make autocorrect more predictable. My main complaint though is about the text selection interface.
    John Yester
    Moderator Team Leader, iMore.com

iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    188 Global Posts

The very day Apple allow 3rd party keyboards, it will become one step closer to Android. I don't think they want it. Apple has always positioned itself as a rather close system. They have made enough changes for now.
    Intellectsoft. We build software. Intelligently.