Default apps on iOS7

vdroide

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Tim Cook in some ways thinks differently when compared to Steve Jobs. Is being able to set default apps in iOS 7 an unreasonable and impossible dream?

I have been using Google Services for years. I went to iCloud for a while but I am now back with Google. I don't think I want to change soon. Android is probably better for Google Services but I don't like Android, and though i toyed with the idea, but no, it's not for me. My iPhone would be perfect if I could set gmail and chrome as the default apps for email and browsing.

Will Apple ever allow that? Would you like to see that?

Live Long and Prosper using Tapatalk II

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I think it would be a good thing to do (Mr. Laelipoo loves his Google Chrome, oh yes he does) but I am not sure if we will see that in iOS 7. Maybe. It's certainly more likely than some of the other things I want (Files.app, QR for SMS, etc).

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Can Apple make it so that 3rd party apps can be set as default? Yes.

Should they allow for it? No.

Why? Apple is primarily in the business of offering Apple products and services at a profit. It is no different than Google no longer pushing gmail to iOS devices (excluding paid accounts & exchange account users who haven't changed devices yet) without the use of the official Gmail app or an Android device.

Will they allow it one day? Maybe, but I doubt it.

KaterinaM

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Can Apple make it so that 3rd party apps can be set as default? Yes.

Should they allow for it? No.

Why? Apple is primarily in the business of offering Apple products and services at a profit. It is no different than Google no longer pushing gmail to iOS devices (excluding paid accounts & exchange account users who haven't changed devices yet) without the use of the official Gmail app or an Android device.

Will they allow it one day? Maybe, but I doubt it.

Totally agree with you. Apple and Google are two rivals. And it would be strange if Apple allowed to set Google apps as default. Just like Android won't "promote" Apple apps.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Will Apple allow third party apps as stock? One day they will if they keep talking about the post PC era. When it will be will be when the pressure gets too much from customers to ignore. I don't think it has anything to do with pushing Apple services entirely. Like Google giving Android away for free to put their services on every device. Apple has Google services because it sells more hardware. Most of Apple's money comes from hardware so whatever drives sales and revenue is a positive. The problem with allowing third party apps to be set as stock is that it compromises the user experience. If the app is buggy, has memory leaks users will blame the hardware for the crashing and slow down. Remember the majority of users aren't like the people in these forums. It also changes every user's experience because if my sister for example calls me and says she has email problems. Now it's simple I know it's in mail and I can lead her through the steps of troubleshooting it. Otherwise I'd have to ask her what are you using for mail? If it's a different app, one I haven't used, that makes it that much harder for me to help her sort out the issue. It would be the same for the genius bar.
This is the problem Microsoft faces all the time. You call for a crashing issue they do some troubleshooting then tell you it's not Windows it's the hardware or the software so contact that vendor. Then the hardware/software vendor says it's Windows and the customer is stuck in the middle unhappy.

This is why Jailbreak exists it allows users to set different stock apps but Apple or the third party vendors are off the hook. So until the pressure is un-surmountable or they can figure out a way around the issues it will cause Apple will just ignore it.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Apple did allow 3rd party apps as defaults for some things in the past. Google Maps and YouTube were two examples. But given the ongoing war for users between Apple and Google, I can’t see Apple allowing non-Apple apps to be set as default on the iOS devices going forward. It’s a matter of protecting the brand. Not only does Apple not allow 3rd party apps to be set as default, they have long rejected apps that directly compete with their core apps.

As Ipheuria states, jailbreak is the only exception... and Apple seems to have resigned itself to the ongoing existence of the JB community, but it’s the only way...

vdroide

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Apple did allow 3rd party apps as defaults for some things in the past. Google Maps and YouTube were two examples. But given the ongoing war for users between Apple and Google, I can?t see Apple allowing non-Apple apps to be set as default on the iOS devices going forward. It?s a matter of protecting the brand. Not only does Apple not allow 3rd party apps to be set as default, they have long rejected apps that directly compete with their core apps.

As Ipheuria states, jailbreak is the only exception... and Apple seems to have resigned itself to the ongoing existence of the JB community, but it?s the only way...

They are less strict on the apps that compete with stick apps. Eg different mail, maps, etc.

Live Long and Prosper using Tapatalk II

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
They are less strict on the apps that compete with stick apps. Eg different mail, maps, etc.

While it’s true that Apple does now allow some "competing" apps, that’s still a very long way from allowing users to set default apps on the iOS devices. I would be extremely surprised if they allowed with iOS 7.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2