Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By BLiNK
  • 1 Post By abazigal
  • 4 Post By SeanHRCC
  • 2 Post By eve6er69
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    745 Global Posts

Default Dumb Copycats.

While I admit to having a HTC One, I wouldn't get caught dead with a Samsung device.

Rumors of an Apple watch breaks out, Samsung says they're working on one too.

Rumors of Apple using finger print tech are hot and heavy, now all of a sudden we have this.

When Apple purchased the fingerprint reader company, what patents did they get ? Didn't it create a mild uproar when they told HP and Dell they wouldn't be getting anymore readers ?
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,601 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

Default Re: Dumb Copycats.

que flame war in 3.... 2...
    Thanked by:
    Chetan Takyar (05-31-2013)
    Fausty82 and Tilman Mueller like this.

Global Posts
    11,635 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Doing what other companies do is Samesung's forte. Occasionally, they do better than who they ripped off...
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    330 Global Posts

To me, I am less concerned with who gets it first, and more with who gets it right. I am not particularly impressed with many of the new features in the S4, and I think Samsung will realize that fingerprint recognition involves a lot more than just slapping a sensor in a phone and calling it a day.
    impaler likes this.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    745 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by abazigal View Post
    To me, I am less concerned with who gets it first, and more with who gets it right. I am not particularly impressed with many of the new features in the S4, and I think Samsung will realize that fingerprint recognition involves a lot more than just slapping a sensor in a phone and calling it a day.
    Well we know Apple holds the patent for biometric finger scanning technology, so Samsung will havre to use optical or some form of capacitive scanner, because I remember Apple warning HP and Dell that they weren't going to supply them with scanners anymore after they bought Authentic Tec.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,515 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

I don't see a fingerprint scanner on the iPhone yet...so copy cat Samsung is not. And even if they do, who cares? It's technology, and a popular "desired" feature at that...that'd be like calling Samsung a copy cat for putting picture messaging ability on their phones. People really need to get over this whole "copy cat" BS...consumer tech is going to follow trends, this includes features, and every device on the market is going to sway with the trends to some level or another.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    Thanked by:
    Chetan Takyar (05-31-2013), GibMcFragger (06-15-2013)
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    6,086 Global Posts
    iOS Version

There was a fingerprint scanner on the original motorola atrix. So samsung copycating apple is false.

Sent from my game boy color
    Racer X and charlyee like this.
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    168 Global Posts

Remember this?
    Dumb Copycats.-imageuploadedbytapatalk-21370430229.502083.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    iMore Newbie

copycats will be around forever, just gotta be smarter than them, i.e.) fake your next move so they get lost.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tatperson View Post
    Remember this?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21370430229.502083.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	31763

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    I could not forget this one as I had it back in the day. The fingerprint scanner only worked for me half of the time.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk 2
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    202 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Is it copy catting when a company buys the patents? Because really, in legal terms Apple hasn't really copied anything (except for maybe a smartphone). I mean, they literally have patents on everything that has to do with their products. Also couldn't the finger scanner actually be for the Mac laptops rather than the iPhone/ iPad? That sounds a lot more plausible.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    549 Global Posts

I can see this whole fingerprint thing have some big bugs. I hope there is a way to disable. I don't think I would use it. Is it just to unlock your phone? I have read much into it.
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    1,286 Global Posts

Ummm...

iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    860 Global Posts

I just feel that all phone companies and stuff all copy each other just make things a little different away from other platforms.. To me I don't see it as copying I just see it as technology improving and operating systems on all different types of phones wanting to compete one another.. If you think about it every phone copy other phone at some point like when all phones start to have camera and full keyboards and become touch screens and etc.. It's just a part of life they get inspiration from other phones and change it a bit to make it their own

Global Posts
    15,595 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.x.x

Re- Engineering
    John Yester
    Moderator Team Leader, iMore.com

iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    464 Global Posts

Same-sung might copy, but it never works as well as Apple's version.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    6,086 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by mayconvert View Post
    Same-sung might copy, but it never works as well as Apple's version.
    Samsung has done a great job at creating stuff. Let's not be blind here. The features on the s3 and s4 are by no way copying. That's all their doings.

iPhone Newbie

Bt features of S4 are for kids below 15 year olds. Smart scroll,smart pause,air gestures all are just gimmicks. Seriously I wudnt use all these features on daily basis. It's perfect for kids to have fun with all these features.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    6,086 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Chiranjeev View Post
    Bt features of S4 are for kids below 15 year olds. Smart scroll,smart pause,air gestures all are just gimmicks. Seriously I wudnt use all these features on daily basis. It's perfect for kids to have fun with all these features.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Just because you wouldn't use the features doesn't mean they're made for kids. Remember everybody likes different things. Unless your the only adult in the world?

iMore Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by eve6er69 View Post
    There was a fingerprint scanner on the original motorola atrix. So samsung copycating apple is false.

I think it's not about apple having it first, it's about Samsung copying apple. I had a galaxy s2 and let me tell you, they certainly do try to copy apple. I usually say its a good thing when companies copy features as it leads to better full experiences and pushes companies to keep innovating but Samsung is the worst at it. They have always modeled touch whiz after the iPhone yet they made it look horrible. They may have moved away from that for the most part, but borrowed many features like vibrate patterns and Siri. I would never buy a Samsung device again because the updates were so unpolished that I had to root my phone to get something more polished. I have always known Samsung as a high end company. They have high quality TV's and entertainment systems, innovative appliances, and have had some good quality mobile hardware, but they suck at software and mobile. I had a Samsung instinct and that was a joke of a device, I had a touchscreen Samsung camera and it was horrible, and a galaxy s2 which always have me issues. So if Samsung is copying apple it's not a good thing because they don't know how to properly do mobile IMHO. Not saying the s3 and s4 are horrible phones but I do NOT sense the quality they put into their entertainment hardware like TV's or their appliances (at least I hear Samsung appliances are good, I have no experience with them.)
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    860 Global Posts

Too me all phones and whatever are copy cats in a way.. For me it's just each company getting something and adding it into their devices just making it a little different from others..