Oh My . . First time in an Apple store! =)

revtech

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
Wow, I don't even know where to begin! I was away on business in a city that had an apple store, not to sound sappy but what an amazingly great experience. I had alot of time to kill so I was in the store about two hours and talked to three associates during my time there. Normally I can't stand salespeople and basically tell them to leave me alone, but these guys were so fascinating to talk to; I'd say they were more like friends sharing their love and excitement for their device rather than salesmen trying to sell me a phone.

To some of you who frequent the forums you are familiar with my rambling indecision between ip5 and the bb z10 . . no longer. The store experience absolutely sold me. Bright, wide open space, tons of devices to play with, no bulky security clamps on the phone, and salespeople who actually know about and love their device. In contrast I walked across the mall to the vzw store and tried the z10, completely opposite experience in every way; I know I'm buying a phone not an experience, and its not bb's fault, but the device is locked down, the salesperson was not knowledgeable and indifferent, etc.

I could prob write a tl;dr post (maybe this already is) but two of my concerns were size and what some have called the 'boring' and 'limited' ui . . Both of these were completely obliterated by the opportunity to actually spend unrushed time with the device. Because I was actually able to hold and use the device without security clamps I found that it is actually the perfect size (for me imo). I used to think it should be a tad bigger but it just seemed to fit perfectly. And the ui . . well, not to use a tired phrase . . it just works, and works well. Yes I could figure out the z10, I'm a product design engineer, it wasn't hard to figure out and I wasn't intimidated by it, it was actually pretty cool and neat and fun and 'flowing' . . but things in ios just seemed to be where I thought they should be and worked the way I expected them to work.

To get back to my original point, the experince is what sold me . . And I never paid much attention to the app argument, because my needs are pretty simple, but when these guys showed me what they could do with this or that favorite app . . wow . . and I'm not talking about fart apps or games, just really cool, useful, beautiful, and functional stuff that just works well because its made for ios.

Like Sean always says . . . "Get. What. You. Want." . . I'm finally sold; I want an iphone. End of my smartphone drama at last =)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
You are right. One of my best friends had a similar experience and he has all but made up his mind that he was getting an iPhone for his next smartphone simply because of his experience from having perused one of the 3 Apple Stores in the Orlando area. Great post, and thank you for sharing your experience with us...:)

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Wasn't it a great thing?? An Apple store can be overwhelming because you want to walk out with everything that have. Credit cards are not your friend in an Apple store..:p

revtech

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
Wasn't it a great thing?? An Apple store can be overwhelming because you want to walk out with everything that have. Credit cards are not your friend in an Apple store..:p

Yeah, seriously . . now I want to learn more about Apple tv, and have an ipad and macbook to sync with . . Yeah it was tough to walk out :)

edit: and I actually had a few minutes when I wondered what these folks were paid because I could almost see myself wanting to do what they do :eek:

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
See you only saw the initial experience. What's even more fantastic is if you have a problem with your phone you take it in there and they will fix it or replace it on the spot! No waiting for one to come in the mail etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, seriously . . now I want to learn more about Apple tv, and have an ipad and macbook to sync with . . Yeah it was tough to walk out :)

edit: and I actually had a few minutes when I wondered what these folks were paid because I could almost see myself wanting to do what they do :eek:

Two words about Apple TV; Get It! The integration between the Apple TV, iPhone, iPad, and Mac is amazing. You can also access your YouTube feed, Netflix, Hulu, and all your music from the Apple TV. If you have any questions about it, let us know and we will answer them for you.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

revtech

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
See you only saw the initial experience. What's even more fantastic is if you have a problem with your phone you take it in there and they will fix it or replace it on the spot! No waiting for one to come in the mail etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

yes, actually I did see something similar to that happen, a gentleman came in and was having trouble with an issue on his ipad; the salesperson next to me just walked him though it.

That was another thing I didn't write about because I didn't want to ramble . . basically every device there runs a similar ios, so when a person has a question everyone knows what they're dealing with; its not like there's touchwiz or sense or blur or which flavor of android do you have. And if I get an ip5 I don't have to wonder when/if my carrier will give me ios7 or not

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

We refer to the iPhone in my family as a "gateway drug". First you get the iPhone. Then you get the iPad... before you know it, you’re shopping for a MacBook Pro... It. Just. Happens.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
We refer to the iPhone in my family as a "gateway drug". First you get the iPhone. Then you get the iPad... before you know it, you’re shopping for a MacBook Pro... It. Just. Happens.
Well thanks a lot so in other words then you are my drug dealer and you got me hooked now all I want is iMore....iMore.....iMore!!

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
If there is one piece of advice that isn't totally supportive of the Apple store, it is to MAKE APPOINTMENTS! If you have an Apple device that develops issues, and you want to go talk to the genius bar, make sure you make an appointment and get there a little early. I've been to several Apple stores across the country (the 2 in Atlanta) plus traveling I like to check out what they have (NYC's new one is simply amazing)...not one of them were anything less than chaotically busy.

Twice in my time with Apple products i have gone to an Apple store without an appointment...the first time i was helped (because it was with the first iPhone), but i was also there for a while (close to two hours), the second time was related to my Macbook Pro (2009 model) and they simply had no one to help me (the logic board was fried and needed replacement), that time i had to make an appointment for the next day to have it serviced...and i wasn't mad at all, because for about 15-20min. they frantically tried to find someone to help me, and they were simply overwhelmed.

I've always had an appointment since then, and I've never been anything less than over-impressed with their friendliness, knowledge and assistance. It's what i feel you pay for with the Apple experience when the devices are just a bit more than the competition, and i wouldn't have it any other way.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If there is one piece of advice that isn't totally supportive of the Apple store, it is to MAKE APPOINTMENTS! If you have an Apple device that develops issues, and you want to go talk to the genius bar, make sure you make an appointment and get there a little early. I've been to several Apple stores across the country (the 2 in Atlanta) plus traveling I like to check out what they have (NYC's new one is simply amazing)...not one of them were anything less than chaotically busy.

Twice in my time with Apple products i have gone to an Apple store without an appointment...the first time i was helped (because it was with the first iPhone), but i was also there for a while (close to two hours), the second time was related to my Macbook Pro (2009 model) and they simply had no one to help me (the logic board was fried and needed replacement), that time i had to make an appointment for the next day to have it serviced...and i wasn't mad at all, because for about 15-20min. they frantically tried to find someone to help me, and they were simply overwhelmed.

I've always had an appointment since then, and I've never been anything less than over-impressed with their friendliness, knowledge and assistance. It's what i feel you pay for with the Apple experience when the devices are just a bit more than the competition, and i wouldn't have it any other way.

To add to this, appointments can be made online.

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site

And so it does. I first got a 3gs as a temporary phone, because I sold my Droid 2. My intention was to take my time and look for the perfect Android device, because I hated iOS so much. My story went the following way, I got an iPhone 4s, then an iPad 3rd Gen, an Apple TV and recently bought a MacBook Air. I have no complaints and have no intention of leaving the ecosystem soon

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
And somewhere in there, you become obsessed with every rumor about Apple (even though you know most of them aren't true) and watching every Apple keynote because you just have to know what amazing product they come up with next.

Karen, are you spying on me again? :)

Elizabeth2

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
revtech I remember when you were trying to decide between the Z10 and the iPhone5. Congratz on the decision!!! I remember going into the iPhone store too. Completely impressed not only with the enthusiasm from the employees but with their knowledge of Apple products.
I couldn't have been in the store 5 minutes that my mind was made up....coming from a diehard Blackberry owner who has not looked back once.
I love my iPhone5. It works. It's beautiful. Its mine!

thatotherdude24

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I have never been to an Apple store but have always heard good things. The nearest one is 2 hours away and I'd like to make a trip there this summer.

wendybeee

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
revtech so happy your experience was so awesome ! My first experience in the Apple store was all that you said it was and I was totally blown away also ! I actually only went in because the wall charger that came with my phone didn't work so I needed to exchange it. When I first got my iPhone we had a problem getting the little drawer that holds the sim card open and not only did we bend it we scratched the side badly also. Not only did the Apple rep exchange my wall charger but he said 'Oh my what happened here to your pretty new iPhone, lets see if we can fix this and start all over...can't have a brand new phone looking like this can we ?' and he exchanged it for me at no charge....Wow at that moment I fell in love with Apple forever :D

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Just want to add to the chorus for the Apple TV—even if you don't use it for Netflix, Hulu Plus, iTunes rentals, NBA, MLB, etc, it is still an absolutely great piece of kit to pair with your iPhone/iPad/Mac simply for all that it does for free. Watch any video online? AirPlay it to your tv and watch on the big screen. Want to show someone your album of vacation photos, or use a folder from your Mac as a screensaver/slideshow, turning your tv into a digital photo frame? AirPlay. Want to stream Pandora, any number of internet radio stations, or your own iTunes library? Built in. At $99 I don't understand why everyone doesn't have one of these.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen