Does Apple have to worry about Google taking over the iPhone... again?

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
No, Apple shouldn't be worried. Google is just bringing over some of their superior services. That's a good things for all users.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

Dryland

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
It's good for Apple because many users want Google services integrated into their iOS devices. This brings more options to iOS and makes it feel more like a desktop OS, giving the ability to set default apps. This is something apple should think about integrating into iOS in the future.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't think Apple should be worried, especially when they have an opportunity to make its iCloud service a great deal better than it already is. Besides, Apple has the advantage similar to the advantage that Microsoft had over Netscape back in the day. Google's apps have to be downloaded from the App store and there are millions of iPhone users who simply use the native apps for everything.

Angelo_Campher

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
I don't think Apple should be worried, especially when they have an opportunity to make its iCloud service a great deal better than it already is. Besides, Apple has the advantage similar to the advantage that Microsoft had over Netscape back in the day. Google's apps have to be downloaded from the App store and there are millions of iPhone users who simply use the native apps for everything.
This. It could actually be a good thing for the iPhone but it could also be seen as Google hijacking an otherwise closed system especially if they make the code available to other third party devs (don't know if this happened yet).

The only thing I worry about with all this is that Apple will find a way of disabling URL schemes which would leave great apps like Launch Center Pro out in the cold.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
This. It could actually be a good thing for the iPhone but it could also be seen as Google hijacking an otherwise closed system especially if they make the code available to other third party devs (don't know if this happened yet).

The only thing I worry about with all this is that Apple will find a way of disabling URL schemes which would leave great apps like Launch Center Pro out in the cold.

I don't think they would say that. They created an avenue for app developers to implement their own browsers and other schemes, using a limited resource. I don't see them backtracking on that now. I just don't see theme ever giving 3rd party apps full access to resources.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

abazigal

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Well, Apple has nothing to fear. From me, at least.

The Gmail app still lacks a unified inbox, switching between accounts is tedious, and I can't open attachments in other apps like notability or goodreader.

Chrome still lacks a reader function.

I use Google drive because there is no alternative app.

Didn't see the point of G+ and GNow, so uninstalled them after a brief flirtation.

Maps work well enough for me, so I don't bother with Google Maps.

That said, their UI is very slick and gorgeous though, but in the end, I still went back to the stock IOS apps (except I am using mailbox instead of mail) because they still work better.