Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By John Yester
  • 2 Post By Karenkcoulter
  • 2 Post By Fausty82
  • 1 Post By SeanHRCC
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Apple and credit card issues

Has anyone had any issues with their credit cards and apple? I have and know a few others that have had their credit card information taken from having cards linked to apple. I found this out after contacting my bank.
    iPhone 6 Plus 64 GB - 2014 Mac Book Air

Got a question:
    New to the Forums:
    How we work around here:

Global Posts
    11,760 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: Apple and credit card issues

How do you know your card wasn't compromised by someone who merely used it to make purchases from Apple? And if that's the case, why is it Apple's fault?

If you're overly concerned with security - just use Apple/iTunes gift cards and periodically load one onto your account... I've never had an issue with that.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    Thanked by:
    Damon Burt (05-04-2013)

Global Posts
    15,672 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.x.x

Like any transaction.. online or not... You better check your statement frequently and also report anything to them.. Not just with Apple transactions, but any online company.. Apple is not at fault.. Nor are you... But thousands of cards and online accounts get compromised everyday in this world....
    John Yester
    Moderator Team Leader, iMore.com

Thanked by:
    Damon Burt (05-04-2013)
    kch50428 likes this.
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Never said it was apples fault. I am not overly concerned with security. I simply asked if anyone has had this issue.

It was through apple. Be it online or what not I am not sure just asking if anyone has had this issue. Like I said above several people I know have had this issue via apple iTunes etc.

Got a question:
    New to the Forums:
    How we work around here:
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    17,067 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1.2

I have nothing linked to my iTunes acct period. Not a credit card especially and when I make a purchase through iTunes I use my CC and once completed I remove it until next time.
    ~JAG~
    Member Of iMore & Mobile Nations!
    In Memory Of Steve Jobs ... Rest In iPeace

Global Posts
    6,617 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

I do have a CC linked to iTunes and I've never had a problem. I have a tough password though and now 2 factor authentication. I think it's more likely that I'll lose or have my CC physically stolen and then used for purchases than have my CC taken from my iTunes account.
    Fausty82 and kch50428 like this.
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Oh I have 2 factor authentication and an 18 character password. I have no idea how it happened but I will never link a CC to iTunes again.

Got a question:
    New to the Forums:
    How we work around here:
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,883 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Don't know what 2 factor is but I have my bank card linked and never had a issue

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,491 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I've never had any issues with giving my credit card to any company.

You got phished/smished/spear-phished in some way.
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by zerog46 View Post
    Has anyone had any issues with their credit cards and apple? I have and know a few others that have had their credit card information taken from having cards linked to apple. I found this out after contacting my bank.
    Iíve never had an issue with my credit card/debit card attached to my iTunes account... but I removed all cards about 6 months ago in order to control spending - my wife is constantly buying iPad games for the grandkids to play. I use iTunes gift cards, and just keep a small balance on my account. Typically, I purchase $50 iTunes gift cards... when my balance falls below about $10, I just add a new card to my account. No muss, no fuss, no worries.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    Thanked by:
    Damon Burt (05-04-2013)
    kch50428 and John Yester like this.
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

Same thing I'm gonna do now.

Got a question:
    New to the Forums:
    How we work around here:
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,775 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

iTunes is very safe. That said, there are always ways to further secure your account...I've never personally had a problem in the many years I've used a CC directly connected to iTunes, nor has my wife or anyone in my family. We don't represent the full spectrum, but i can tell you that with all the safe guards out there from the level that Apple gives all the way to your personal bank or credit card company...there's ZERO reason to be worried about hooking your account to iTunes.

If you want to truly worry about something, worry about the companies that still freely use your SS# as a means of identification...THIS is something you should focus on if you want to secure your life as best as possible. Buy social security guards before you put too much effort in iTunes security.
    Last edited by SeanHRCC; 05-02-2013 at 09:38 AM.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    Fausty82 likes this.
  13. Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

I'm not even saying its iTunes it's just weird how mine my wife's and a few people I know all have had issues via something or other connected to iTunes in the past two weeks.

Got a question:
    New to the Forums:
    How we work around here:
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    205 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by zerog46 View Post
    I discovered...something on my last statement that looked like unauthorized purchases at iTunes. My kids are always buying stuff at iTunes and forgetting so it is possible that happened here. Apple is going to email all the purchase receipts for the last year so that I can evaluate and figure out what is going on. I am not overly concerned but they have been most helpful as I try to work it out.