Get over it - Too Many Choices

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine!

Yep, those seagulls. And like those seagulls and their cries for food, the people have become seagulls calling for more.

More! More! More! More! More!

Cries for more options, more features, more services, faster processors, more apps, more cores! Why? Why do we need more cores and faster processors? Why can?t developers of our mobile platforms make their operating systems work within the limits of the hardware? Apple does the best of this. In this world of quad and soon to be octa-core Android devices, Apple still sits at dual-core and is still toe to toe and better in some cases. Why do we need more? Apple finally changed the screen size of the iPhone and was immediately met by cries of it being too small, now offer multiple versions of the iPhone with different screen sizes, why isn?t it five inches, the next one is going to be five inches. Really? Why can no one be happy with the vast improvements the mobile world has made in the past decade. Brought into play by Blackberry and made fun by Apple and overrun by Samsung with gimmicks.

Everybody wants the next thing and as soon as it hits they are immediately calling for the next thing. The people are never satiated. The world is progressing too fast and no one can iterate fast enough to be far enough ahead to meet the demands of the people. We are still limited by the hardware. Is there no bounds? Is there no point where people can be happy with what he have and what they?ve been given to choose from? Some people are only just now upgrading to phones like the iPhone 4 and the Galaxy S2, yes the S2. Why? For these people, these phones do everything they need them to; they aren?t caught up in what the latest features are and what could come next. My dad is still using a Droid X2 and before that on T-Mobile a Garminfone. Yes, you read that right, a Garminfone.

There are enough phones, enough different phones, on the market now that should never be a need to want more. The newest is out now, and people should be content to wait patiently to see what new hardware was developed that can support the new features and speeds that they want. We have what we have, get over it. Operating systems can really only iterate as fast as the hardware. Until the hardware can support whatever science fiction needs people have that aren?t met, they will remain unmet. Developers of operating systems can only do so much with the hardware they have. When it can be done, it will be done, believe it. Until then, enjoy what you have.

Droidrage729

May 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: Get over it

I am very happy with my iPhone 5 I am not looking forward to any device. My only desire is for ios to strive toward at least a cosmetic change this year. Everything works just fine.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site

I am very happy with my iPhone 5 I am not looking forward to any device. My only desire is for ios to strive toward at least a cosmetic change this year. Everything works just fine.

I too am happy with my iPhone 5, and I wish I had the money to buy a Blackberry Z10 to play around with too. In a perfect world I'd had enough money to have a flagship device of every mobile OS to really compare things.

Blazin' tappity tap tap 2 you!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Agreed, but even if no major cosmetic change is present in the next iteration of iOS, I'm still okay with what I have....:)

Davyo

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site

I personally like upgrading and having the newest and best'est,,,,,, it's fun !!!!!

On a side note,,, it doesn't much cost money to have the newest,,, if you upgrade all the time what you are upgrading from will always fetch a high dollar as it is still a current phone,,,, I look at it as more like renting a phone than owning a phone.

I'm selling my Note 2 to get either the T Mobile iphone 5 or the Galaxy S4,, if I lose a few dollars with selling my Note 2 that's the amount I paid for "renting" my Note 2.

Keeping a phone until its outdated and worthless makes no sense whatsoever !!!!

Cheers
Davyo

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site

I also like upgrading, have the 4s and it is a great phone. But also looking forward to upgrading after July when I'm up for one.

phonejunky

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
Seems like you're making Android manufacturers the bad guy when innovation and pushing the limits of mobile technology is never a bad thing.

Sent from a pure Google experience.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Seems like you're making Android manufacturers the bad guy when innovation and pushing the limits of mobile technology is never a bad thing.

Then you've misread my post. Innovation and pushing the limits isn't bad, I never said that. What I did say is there is no need to go to octa-core processors or even quad-core processors when you can clearly still use dual-core processors efficiently. My case was that they are going with more processors just to be able to add more and more features instead of taking the time to correct some issues with the OS itself and taking advantage of what the processors have to offer.

But my main case for the whole thing is that too many people can't be happy with what's out now and as soon as, and I mean literally as soon as the day a new device comes out, they are already complaining about it and wanting the next thing. And that's not the way it should be.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site

I personally like upgrading and having the newest and best'est,,,,,, it's fun !!!!!

On a side note,,, it doesn't much cost money to have the newest,,, if you upgrade all the time what you are upgrading from will always fetch a high dollar as it is still a current phone,,,, I look at it as more like renting a phone than owning a phone.

I'm selling my Note 2 to get either the T Mobile iphone 5 or the Galaxy S4,, if I lose a few dollars with selling my Note 2 that's the amount I paid for "renting" my Note 2.

Keeping a phone until its outdated and worthless makes no sense whatsoever !!!!

Cheers
Davyo

My argument wasn't to not upgrade. I'll reiterate again, my main case/argument is that people complain the second they get a new device and want the next one already. Too many people and never satisfied with what they have.

phonejunky

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
That's not the way it should be in a perfect world yes. But this isn't a perfect world. And competition fuels innovation. Someone uses dual, we need to make it more appealing and use quad. Its just how it is. More cores also isn't necessarily bad. Especially with battery tech seeming to be at a halt in the mobile world efficiently allocating how a phone uses its power is never a bad thing either.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
That's not the way it should be in a perfect world yes. But this isn't a perfect world. And competition fuels innovation. Someone uses dual, we need to make it more appealing and use quad. Its just how it is. More cores also isn't necessarily bad. Especially with battery tech seeming to be at a halt in the mobile world efficiently allocating how a phone uses its power is never a bad thing either.

But Android doesn't efficiently use the processors and more processors uses more battery life. And all the features being put into phones is what's killing battery life, phones need to be thicker again for bigger batteries. I'll always advocate the battle for innovation between rival companies, it's what makes it fun. I would personally love to have a phone of each operating system because I like all of them.

phonejunky

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
But Android doesn't efficiently use the processors and more processors uses more battery life. And all the features being put into phones is what's killing battery life, phones need to be thicker again for bigger batteries. I'll always advocate the battle for innovation between rival companies, it's what makes it fun. I would personally love to have a phone of each operating system because I like all of them.

Who are you to say Android doesn't efficiently use the batteries. If the phones are selling and people are satisfied. Then consumers are apparently OK with it. I do understand your grief. But innovation won't slow down regardless. So this is just one of those things you have to chalk it up as a lose.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Who are you to say Android doesn't efficiently use the batteries. If the phones are selling and people are satisfied. Then consumers are apparently OK with it. I do understand your grief. But innovation won't slow down regardless. So this is just one of those things you have to chalk it up as a lose.

I said Android doesn't efficiently use processors, no body efficiently uses batteries. And you've where I said all I'm for innovation. My argument is people complaining as soon as they get something. How about an analogy for that? It's like people buying a brand new car knowing what it has and complaining about it and saying it needs to be better as soon as they hand over their money. Make sense now?

phonejunky

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
I understand what you're saying but its merely semantics. Its a fight without a cause is my point.

EauRouge

Trusted Member
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I like the fighting! Its better for the consumer!

Sure Apple doesn't have as many cores, but it is still pressured to make their device go toe to toe with the others. Its this sort of competition that drives innovation!

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
(snipped)...
But my main case for the whole thing is that too many people can't be happy with what's out now and as soon as, and I mean literally as soon as the day a new device comes out, they are already complaining about it and wanting the next thing. And that's not the way it should be.

You are spot-on...:)

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Had the same conversation with a friend of mine recently, except it was about cameras. There was a time when DSLRs were on a year and a half to two year product cycle. Now they're being refreshed on a yearly cycle just like phones.

Consumerism has created the demand, so companies are happy to oblige and take more of everyone's money.

YorkieRay

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I agree with the OP, though up to a point.
Last week' I was searching around for a new tv to replace our old CRT tv that had finally gone pop. I was astonished by the choice available, even among sets of the same screen size from the same manufacturer. I chose a 32" Samsung , but I passed on 3D and wifi to meet our budget, the set was to be located next to the router anyway.
An iPhone customer does not have such choices available to them. Smartphones are now an essential tool for personal and business life and different people have different requirements and different budgets. After 6 years of the iPhone, Apple's response is still a "one size fits all" approach with the most expensive current model phone on the market, plus 2 older versions of the same. With the built in restrictions on the iPhone, like not allowing the user to expand the memory relatively cheaply, Apple have made the iPhone into the most profitable consumer device ever and the company is probably the most profitable on earth with more cash in the bank than many medium sized countries.
Apple should be expanding their choices, not restricting them. There should be a lower priced iPhone, they could effectively convert the iPod Touch into a phone and it would still be half the price of an iPhone 5. Some customers either cannot get or want 4G LTE, others may make do with a lower spec camera to get an iPhone at a price that suits them, not Apple. Also, a 5" screen is not for everyone, but Samsung seem to be doing very well with the Galaxy Note, where is Apple's option?
Apple deliberately limits customer choice and they have been able to make many billions as a result, but for how much longer?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I agree with the OP, though up to a point.
Last week' I was searching around for a new tv to replace our old CRT tv that had finally gone pop. I was astonished by the choice available, even among sets of the same screen size from the same manufacturer. I chose a 32" Samsung , but I passed on 3D and wifi to meet our budget, the set was to be located next to the router anyway.
An iPhone customer does not have such choices available to them. Smartphones are now an essential tool for personal and business life and different people have different requirements and different budgets. After 6 years of the iPhone, Apple's response is still a "one size fits all" approach with the most expensive current model phone on the market, plus 2 older versions of the same. With the built in restrictions on the iPhone, like not allowing the user to expand the memory relatively cheaply, Apple have made the iPhone into the most profitable consumer device ever and the company is probably the most profitable on earth with more cash in the bank than many medium sized countries.
Apple should be expanding their choices, not restricting them. There should be a lower priced iPhone, they could effectively convert the iPod Touch into a phone and it would still be half the price of an iPhone 5. Some customers either cannot get or want 4G LTE, others may make do with a lower spec camera to get an iPhone at a price that suits them, not Apple. Also, a 5" screen is not for everyone, but Samsung seem to be doing very well with the Galaxy Note, where is Apple's option?
Apple deliberately limits customer choice and they have been able to make many billions as a result, but for how much longer?

If what they have done for years have made them the most profitable company on the planet, why would they change what they are doing? Year after year, millions of people spend their money buying this so-called one size fits all device and they love it. Even many tech enthusiasts, who are full aware of its restrictions, buy it and then complain about it still being restricted. There are numerous videos of people buying the iPhone just to destroy it by performing silly drop tests. Let's not forget about the people who use other devices as their primary phone but still purchase an iPhone just to have. It would be foolish for Apple to alter their game when people are buying their devices by the droves year after year.

Last edited: