Apple vs Google Maps (indoor)

phonejunky

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
With Google already dominating the mobile arena when it comes to the best free Navigation services Apple looks to be playing catch up. I honestly think they are pretty far off from being what Google already is, but its good to see they're still trying. Tell me what you all think about indoor maps. If I was a store owner I actually would object to this. Seems very unsafe in my opinion but that's a discussion for another time I guess.

http://philippineinquirer.blogspot.com/2013/03/google-maps-vs-apple-maps-indoor-map.html?m=1

Sent from a pure Google experience.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Google's Navigation isn't free. They're collecting data on everything you do on it, and selling that data to give you yet another freebie... and is another way to display advertising. Google is an advertising company.

Indoor maps? More power to Apple for their acquisition. Anything that comes up to compete with Google is a good thing.

phonejunky

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
Oh my God you again and this nothing is free thing lol. You're to much man. I die laughing every time you post something like this behind me.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Why are you surprised that you get retorts like this? You feel the need to push your personal opinion/agenda while sharing news...you couldn't just post the article with your thoughts on the tech itself, you had to go on and on about how Apple is playing catch up and blah blah blah...all the while you're doing this on iMore, which (if you've forgotten) is the iPhone website.

Quit pretending to be innocent. You're trying to stir the pot under the guise of posting a legitimate tech article...chump move.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Oh my God you again and this nothing is free thing lol. You're to much man. I die laughing every time you post something like this behind me.

Kch50428 is right, Brandon. For a brief summary, read the below paragraph located at the Google website.

https://www.google.com/intl/en/policies/terms/
When you upload or otherwise submit content to our Services, you give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content. The rights you grant in this license are for the limited purpose of operating, promoting, and improving our Services, and to develop new ones. This license continues even if you stop using our Services (for example, for a business listing you have added to Google Maps). Some Services may offer you ways to access and remove content that has been provided to that Service. Also, in some of our Services, there are terms or settings that narrow the scope of our use of the content submitted in those Services. Make sure you have the necessary rights to grant us this license for any content that you submit to our Services.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
You may also be interested in this statement:

"Customers who use free products cede control of their data to servers that are more likely to change hands, perhaps multiple times, or disappear entirely."

That statement was taken from an article published on the iMore blog exactly one week ago.
The cost of relying on free apps | iMore.com

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
IMO, google's maps will always be superior to Apple's. It's all in the search which is what Google does. Apple of course can counter by baking their Maps in seamlessly with iOS and go for experience.

Still, it's not that important given you can install google navigation or Navigon, or whatever. Navigon blows both of them away and already has google search and streetview.

phonejunky

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
Guys I'm not saying he is false. I'm not laughing at the fact I think he's wrong. I'm laughing because it is free. Yes on the back end Google uses our information for advertisements and so forth. There a business that's what they do. When you sign your agreement to use there services that's what you open yourself up to. The fact remains is it is still FREE!!!! I didn't purchase my gmail account, I didn't pay for my Google plus account. Do you all understand. I didn't give Google legal tender for that specific software when signing up to use it. Let's not make this difficult Jesus Christ lol. Will I pay for something Google advertises to me through snooping through my email looking for key words and whatever else they do yes maybe, maybe not. Either way the account I'm using is FREE!!!!!!!!

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
You have a strange (and diluted) understanding of what "free" actually means...but if it helps you sleep at night, you knock yourself out with it. There are enough people in the world that share similar stances...enough to where it garnered a term to reference them...that term is delusional. You create a scenario where your idea works...you eliminate the facts that others have provided to show you where this "free" definition doesn't really apply, and you dispose of them and continue on with your stance.

These "free" features you're using come with a price, even if not directly monetary in nature for you, it is still a very legitimate price. If you don't want to see that price, that's fine...lot's of people go through life without facing certain truths. Don't be naive enough to preach against their existence though...if this stuff was truly "free", why would these marketing and advertisement firms spend so much money for the information provided by them? lol...

phonejunky

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
Oh my goodness its like you completely disregarded the fact that I know my personal information is being sold. Did you even read what I said. My goodness. Stop it already. I clearly stated I understand what I open myself to when using Google services. But you want to label me as delusional. Wow. Sad I mean do you want to be right that bad. I know the price I pay for using Google Services. Check this out. I'm a military veterans. 4 tours 2 in Iraq 2 in Afghanistan. My mos was a 35N. Sgt. Brandon Wallace is what I got out as. Do you know what that MOS is I know all about using people information. Spare me the lectures. I'm not ignorant. I choose to use Google with full knowledge of what happens to my information. Jesus Christ. If I feel its free because I'm not paying money for it and I accept how they use my information then it is free. What don't you guys understand about that lol. I mean you all need help. I've never seen anyone want to be right so bad they say well........they sell your information so your paying man your wrong and delusional. Hahaaha wow sad.

This is me with some of my soldiers at practice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHOw3lzfXGA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Again in the all army tournament. Google can sell what they want I'm all over the internet its not hard to find me, or advertise me to figure out what I want or where I live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sq1y1vrhUWo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Guys I'm not saying he is false. I'm not laughing at the fact I think he's wrong. I'm laughing because it is free. Yes on the back end Google uses our information for advertisements and so forth. There a business that's what they do. When you sign your agreement to use there services that's what you open yourself up to. The fact remains is it is still FREE!!!! I didn't purchase my gmail account, I didn't pay for my Google plus account. Do you all understand. I didn't give Google legal tender for that specific software when signing up to use it. Let's not make this difficult Jesus Christ lol. Will I pay for something Google advertises to me through snooping through my email looking for key words and whatever else they do yes maybe, maybe not. Either way the account I'm using is FREE!!!!!!!!

I know what you're saying. You did not give Google any money to use the services they offer and you are associating that with being 'free'. We get that. However, you are paying for that in this manner: You are relinquishing a fair amount of your privacy and the privacy of others whom you associate with via their services and that information is then sold. Granted, far too many people don't see a problem with it and that's okay, but later on when you go to apply for a job, for example, and learn that you were denied because information the company gathered suggests that you view too many unscrupulous websites, that is when it'll become crystal clear how much you pay for Google's free services.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Oh my goodness its like you completely disregarded the fact that I know my personal information is being sold. Did you even read what I said. My goodness. Stop it already. I clearly stated I understand what I open myself to when using Google services. But you want to label me as delusional. Wow. Sad I mean do you want to be right that bad. I know the price I pay for using Google Services. Check this out. I'm a military veterans. 4 tours 2 in Iraq 2 in Afghanistan. My mos was a 35N. Sgt. Brandon Wallace is what I got out as. Do you know what that MOS is I know all about using people information. Spare me the lectures. I'm not ignorant. I choose to use Google with full knowledge of what happens to my information. Jesus Christ. If I feel its free because I'm not paying money for it and I accept how they use my information then it is free. What don't you guys understand about that lol. I mean you all need help. I've never seen anyone want to be right so bad they say well........they sell your information so your paying man your wrong and delusional. Hahaaha wow sad.

(snipped)

Brandon, you are an adult and whatever you choose to do is your business, whether we agree with you or not and that goes for our view of free Google services. Now back to the topic at hand. You stated this:

"Tell me what you all think about indoor maps."

I'm not sure what I feel about it at this time because I really haven't given it much thought. On the surface, it seems kind of stalkish, but so many people already publish their whereabouts online and so this might not be as bad as it may seem.

Last edited:

phonejunky

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
I know what you're saying. You did not give Google any money to use the services they offer and you are associating that with being 'free'. We get that. However, you are paying for that in this manner: You are relinquishing a fair amount of your privacy and the privacy of others whom you associate with via their services and that information is then sold. Granted, far too many people don't see a problem with it and that's okay, but later on when you go to apply for a job, for example, and learn that you were denied because information the company gathered suggests that you view too many unscrupulous websites, that is when it'll become crystal clear how much you pay for Google's free services.

Well I have a TS/SCI, so Google can't be doing me to much bad or I'm sure this great country of ours would have stripped me of that about 500 Facebook post and 1000 twitter post ago. I promise lol. My accounts are also public. No digging needed. I guess you all just have to understand I live a very transparent life so these things you ball hold important are not important to me. I have literally nothing to hide from anyone. Weather that be a future employer or you all. Now back to the topic at hand I'm done. Hopefully you all understand now what I mean by Free. I don't pay I have nothing to hide Free is free to me. Guess you all have some type of browsing history you don't want everyone to know about lol.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Well I have a TS/SCI, so Google can't be doing me to much bad or I'm sure this great country of ours would have stripped me of that about 500 Facebook post and 1000 twitter post ago. I promise lol. My accounts are also public. No digging needed. I guess you all just have to understand I live a very transparent life so these things you ball hold important are not important to me. I have literally nothing to hide from anyone. Weather that be a future employer or you all. Now back to the topic at hand I'm done. Hopefully you all understand now what I mean by Free. I don't pay I have nothing to hide Free is free to me. Guess you all have some type of browsing history you don't want everyone to know about lol.

I understand. Anyway, I enjoyed the conversation. Take care, sir, and have a great evening...:)

phonejunky

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
You think i care way WAY more than i actually do sgt...the truth is, i don't care if you go around telling everyone you get everything for free, even here, i personally don't care if you want the world to think you're using all these features for free, and standing on it's own, i would not have cared enough to correct you on it...until you came in telling another member they were wrong for doing so, when in reality, they are 100% accurate. You can make words mean whatever you want them to...you're free to do that, even if it makes no sense at all. And like i said before, if that helps you sleep at night, by all means, naively assume what you're using has no price to you, i could really care less.

As far as your military information, that's fantastic...i can list mine off too from over a decade ago in MC but i just don't care (i left active duty as an E6, im sure you know what that is). Top secret clearances? Awesome, i could give you lists of all of my federal credentials from being federal law enforcement for the better part of the last 10 years but why? Who cares? It has nothing to do with this discussion or the features on our damn phones, lol. You want to pump chests up? Go to a body building website, quit trying to prove a useless point here. You want to pretend your features are totally free to use? That's great...you think that all you want, but when someone comes with facts about how that's not exactly how it works, why be a knuckle head and argue about it?

Again, my retort was simply because you told a member he was wrong when he was 100% accurate. Other than that, how you go through your day is your business. Correcting people when you're not accurate though, that's a whole other game...especially when it's a senior member of the site. Let's be real here, you wouldn't have had any beef at all with him if there wasn't some history between you two when it came to posts on this forum...if some random person had just come in and pointed out the same fact, you probably would have just disregarded it.

That's the end of my involvement in this part of the discussion as it has grown old.

As far as the indoor mapping...the importance to me personally just isn't there, but I know there are quite a few people who would beg to differ, especially in very large places. I can certainly see how it COULD come in handy, i just can't see how i would personally use it much if at all.

The point of my post was the show my life is transparent which is why using Googles FREE services don't bother me. Guess you also missed that point like you have missed the whole point of what I think is free from the beginning. No pumping my chest needed I'm awesome lol. Go watch me work I posted my links lol. I have few more too. Me and the member don't have a history either he has just followed me on another thread to say the same thing for some odd reason. Finally I never said he was wrong for some reason you keep accusing me of calling people wrong lol. Are you OK Sean please read my post I've never said any of you are wrong. You want to be right so bad is disgusting. Please show me one time where I said he was wrong. I actually said I understand what he was saying. Can you show me where I said he was wrong Sean. I'll wait..........

phonejunky

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
Quite the pot meets kettle moment.... smh.

How I never said you were wrong. Name one time in all the post you have followed me around to spread this Google isn't free campaign where I've accused you if being wrong in your statements. I'll wait.......

Last edited:

phonejunky

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
So back to indoor maps. I'm wondering if Apple does indeed roll out indoor maps to compete with Google who has already started there little project will it be available by OS7, or even 8. Will Google have there finished by the nexus 6 iteration if the nexus smartphone?

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
How I never said you were wrong. Name one time in all the post you have followed me around to spread this Google isn't free campaign where I've accused you if being wrong in your statements. I'll wait.......

At this point like it or not I think it is time to take any indiferences to PM and hash it out there rather than stir the pot here any further. This is getting old and it is going nowhere except for conversation. Please think about it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro