Is natural voice the future? What's now?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I don?t want a natural voice interaction with my mobile devices. Not yet anyway. Natural voice is great, just speak and there?s whatever you wanted. We?re nowhere near that point anyway. So in the meantime, I?m quite enjoying gestures. Phones today are very capable of gestures and slick, sleek user interfaces, yet I?m always seeing boxy UI?s, boxy buttons?buttons, buttons, buttons and more buttons. Buttons are the past, there is so much you can do by swiping and drawing now, bring on the gestures. My favorite apps are all gesture based apps and the more I find the happier I?ll be, the more I?ll enjoy my experience and the more likely I?ll be to spend more money on it.

My top three favorite apps on my iPhone right now are Tapatalk 2, Haze and Mailbox. Mailbox is limited to Gmail currently but it offers such a great user experience by being mostly gesture based, you can get your email anywhere you want simply by swiping. As far as Tapatalk 2, it currently doesn?t support multi-quote, landscape orientation or moderator options, but they are all coming and it is mostly gesture based as well. It is so much better than the boxy V1 it?s unreal, select your forum and a menu drops down, select where you want to go, and you can swipe to mark as read or subscribe, and you can swipe the forum screen away to get back to your forum list or main menu. Haze, wow, ninety nine percent gesture based and the most efficient use of space I?ve ever seen in an app. You have your main screens, swipe to any of them, tap on the icon to see more options and even the background is informative based on the indicative nature of its movement.

Gestures are fun, they are engaging, and they can be expanded to do so much more if people took the time. Natural voice on the other hand and it?s no longer as interactive, yes it will talk back and you could probably have conversations, but the touch aspect would be gone. You?re replacing an important part of human interaction with a lesser form of interaction. Words are the worst form of communication, why would you base your entire interaction with such an intimate device on it? Now if you could go one hundred percent gesture based touch and have natural voice at its optimal, then you have the ultimate interactive device. But while natural voice is being worked on, let?s perfect gestures and really engage people to use their devices and have fun using them. Add it to things that help or make people learn and they will have such a fun time doing it they won?t realize how much they?ve actually learned. Gestures are now, gesture and voice is the future.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I don’t want a natural voice interaction with my mobile devices. Not yet anyway. Natural voice is great, just speak and there’s whatever you wanted. We’re nowhere near that point anyway. So in the meantime, I’m quite enjoying gestures. Phones today are very capable of gestures and slick, sleek user interfaces, yet I’m always seeing boxy UI’s, boxy buttons…buttons, buttons, buttons and more buttons. Buttons are the past, there is so much you can do by swiping and drawing now, bring on the gestures. My favorite apps are all gesture based apps and the more I find the happier I’ll be, the more I’ll enjoy my experience and the more likely I’ll be to spend more money on it.

My top three favorite apps on my iPhone right now are Tapatalk 2, Haze and Mailbox. Mailbox is limited to Gmail currently but it offers such a great user experience by being mostly gesture based, you can get your email anywhere you want simply by swiping. As far as Tapatalk 2, it currently doesn’t support multi-quote, landscape orientation or moderator options, but they are all coming and it is mostly gesture based as well. It is so much better than the boxy V1 it’s unreal, select your forum and a menu drops down, select where you want to go, and you can swipe to mark as read or subscribe, and you can swipe the forum screen away to get back to your forum list or main menu. Haze, wow, ninety nine percent gesture based and the most efficient use of space I’ve ever seen in an app. You have your main screens, swipe to any of them, tap on the icon to see more options and even the background is informative based on the indicative nature of its movement.

Gestures are fun, they are engaging, and they can be expanded to do so much more if people took the time. Natural voice on the other hand and it’s no longer as interactive, yes it will talk back and you could probably have conversations, but the touch aspect would be gone. You’re replacing an important part of human interaction with a lesser form of interaction. Words are the worst form of communication, why would you base your entire interaction with such an intimate device on it? Now if you could go one hundred percent gesture based touch and have natural voice at its optimal, then you have the ultimate interactive device. But while natural voice is being worked on, let’s perfect gestures and really engage people to use their devices and have fun using them. Add it to things that help or make people learn and they will have such a fun time doing it they won’t realize how much they’ve actually learned. Gestures are now, gesture and voice is the future.

I have to say thank you for writing such an engaging post not only about your 3 favorite apps but just also your general impressions of things. I found it to be compelling and just the kind of people we enjoy having here in the iMore forums. Thank you for being one of our members.

Don't forget to read our blog articles as well and comment on them. See ya around the forums. Have a wonderful day. ;)