No Cheap iPhone or iWatch

mountainman

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I took my iPhone 4 out of it's case tonight, and I must say that the quality and design of it are simply outstanding. It is truly a premium device....I don't believe Apple will go ahead with making the rumored "cheap iPhone".

Think about it - iPhones are premium devices. Everyone wants one. Heck, go anywhere and you are bound to see one. It's the smartphone that all others are judged by. Apple wants people to aspire to owning one. That is why they get the kids hooked on iPods - so that they will, when they grow up, purchase the iPhone. Even kids know that iPhones are the best.

It's true that there is money to be made in the low-end market. But I don't think Apple will touch it, because of the premium "tag" they have on owning an iPhone.

Also, I have not worn a watch since owning a cellphone - simply no need to. I just can't see them getting into the jewelry business.

This summer/fall, it's going to be iPhone 5s with better camera, fingerprint unlock, and same form factor.

Thoughts?

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
No fingerprint unlock. The technology isn't there, and isn't reliable.

We use fingerprint to clock in where I work, and the tiniest piece of dust renders it useless. If your hands are cold, it won't read. If your hands are sweaty, it won't read. And this is a machine designed solely to read your fingerprint. Can you imagine not being able to get into your phone because your hands are cold? Not gonna happen.

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Remember it was also once said by Steve Jobs that Apple had no interest in putting video on an iPod, making a phone, or putting out a 7" iPad...and look now that ended up :)

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I don't know about the watch. If they do it, it would be just a Hobby project to gauge interest.

The cheaper iPhone model, that's a definite possibility. Tim Cook is a businessman and he will do what's best for the bottom line. If putting through a cheaper iPhone would gain a lot of the users that go Android for the $50-$100 devices, they will do it. But it will be well done. It'll be some cheaper materials and manufacturing, but no way it'll be seen as "cheap" in a traditional sense.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I've not delved into it much but if they were to keep the older iPhones on for a bit longer, they could use those as the cheaper options instead of having to create a whole new 'cheap' phone from the start. What I don't want to see is Apple decide to go with lower quality materials on a cheaper phone, merely to keep the cost down. iPhones are a triumph of style and a flimsy plastic shell, like the much vaunted Galaxy S3 would, I belive, devalue the overall product as a whole.

If anything, bring back the earlier generation iPhones with the curved plastic back plates.

Angelo_Campher

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
I've not delved into it much but if they were to keep the older iPhones on for a bit longer, they could use those as the cheaper options instead of having to create a whole new 'cheap' phone from the start. What I don't want to see is Apple decide to go with lower quality materials on a cheaper phone, merely to keep the cost down. iPhones are a triumph of style and a flimsy plastic shell, like the much vaunted Galaxy S3 would, I belive, devalue the overall product as a whole.

If anything, bring back the earlier generation iPhones with the curved plastic back plates.

The problem with keeping the older iPhones on sale is that nobody really wants a phone that old. They can get away with it on the iPhone 4 and 4S because those models are still seen as premium devices but it doesn't address the prepaid market as they're still very expensive.

Apple will definitely release a cheaper iPhone in the future but it will have to meet their standards. There is a huge market out there just waiting for Apple to tap into.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
The problem with keeping the older iPhones on sale is that nobody really wants a phone that old. They can get away with it on the iPhone 4 and 4S because those models are still seen as premium devices but it doesn't address the prepaid market as they're still very expensive.

Apple will definitely release a cheaper iPhone in the future but it will have to meet their standards. There is a huge market out there just waiting for Apple to tap into.

Yep.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

Hail Caesar

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Cheaper iPhone, I don't think means low quality iPhone. It's very possible for them to create something along the lines of how they worked the iPod product. I do agree that the build quality of the current stable of iPhones is great, it really does feel like a luxury item.

Now as far as the iWatch is concerned I would like to see and for them to let know the functions, I am very intrigued by it. I still wear Bulova from time to time.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site

You raise a good point. Maybe they could keep the internals (or the majority of) from the 3 series and just repackage them in an updated exterior? Helps keep costs down I would think.

EauRouge

Trusted Member
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I really think they'll do it. Apple wants $$$$$. if the best way to get money would be to sell more even though they may devalue the "premium" label, then they'll do it.

Angelo_Campher

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
I really think they'll do it. Apple wants $$$$$. if the best way to get money would be to sell more even though they may devalue the "premium" label, then they'll do it.

That's just the thing. Apple will not release a product that will devalue what they stand for.

If any company can make a quality reasonably spec'd phone in the budget bracket then it is Apple.

YorkieRay

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
A couple of months back, a poster here was comparing Apple to Gucci and Louis Vuitton. To me, a "premium" product like the iPhone does not take 50% of any market, as is the case in the United States.You don't see anybody and everybody carrying an exclusive "premium" brand.
I like what Nokia have done with their Lumia range. There are phones with different screen sizes, with or without removeable batteries, with or without user upgradeable memory, a range of different colours, all running the same os. That is choice for the customer, much better than Apple's one size fits all approach. One of the few variation with the iPhone is memory. I have seen online here in the UK a branded 32GB micro sd card on sale for less than ?15. Apple charges ?100 more for 32GB extra memory on the iPhone 5, because there is no sd card slot.
I have been saying for years now that Apple should launch a new and funky, lower spec. lower priced iPhone, as they did with the iPod.
In relation to their size, Apple must be the most profitable company on earth, with more cash in the bank than many small nations. I really think that their customers should be demanding better value and choice, not defending their brand or their ability to make even more money.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner