Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 51
Like Tree27Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    3Dee's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    2 Posts
    Global Posts
    448 Global Posts

    Default Please Apple, release a QWERTY phone

    As a longtime BlackBerry user I'm so disappointed that the new BB10 OS has abandonded many of the things that made it great, especially for business users - data compression with BIS, push email, instant access seperate email inboxes - and have release an OS which copies the rest. As a longtime MacBook user I really like the Apple ecosystem, and would seriously consider moving to Apple if they brought out a QWERTY phone. Yeah, I know it's never going to happen and I'm just dreaming, but please, Tim Cook, if you're reading this, please give it some serious thought.
  2. #2  
    John Yester's Avatar

    Posts
    4,306 Posts
    Global Posts
    15,825 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.x.x

    Default Re: Please Apple, release a QWERTY phone

    Not going to happen....

    On screen keyboard works just as good if not better.
    John Yester
    Moderator Team Leader, iMore.com


    mommybetts likes this.
  3. #3  
    kch50428's Avatar

    Posts
    11,252 Posts
    Global Posts
    12,133 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0

    Default Re: Please Apple, release a QWERTY phone

    I used to think that the physical keyboard was the bomb... then I got the iPhone - and found out I thought wrong.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    BLiNK and BryanTheRed like this.
  4. #4  
    pkcable's Avatar
    iMore Guru

    Posts
    1,754 Posts
    Global Posts
    33,480 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 8.1

    Default Re: Please Apple, release a QWERTY phone

    You DO know there is a keyboard version of the BB10 phone coming right? The Q10 is coming and should be out within the next couple months. It looks great from what we have seen.
    Thanked by:
    Bobert_123 (02-02-2013), Bold_until_Hybrid_Comes (02-07-2013)
  5. #5  
    grunt0300's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,079 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,876 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    4.4.4

    Default Re: Please Apple, release a QWERTY phone

    Quote Originally Posted by pkcable View Post
    You DO know there is a keyboard version of the BB10 phone coming right? The Q10 is coming and should be out within the next couple months. It looks great from what we have seen.
    I think that BB should have released the Q10 first. It's going to be interesting if the SGSIV comes out about the same time. IMHO, some people are going to get "samsunged". Hey, is that word a noun or a verb.LOL
    Give yourself, to the Dark Side!
  6. #6  
    jsntrenkler's Avatar

    Posts
    2,325 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,643 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0.1

    Default Please Apple, release a QWERTY phone

    I too can't imagine it happening. For me I don't know if I could go back to a physical keyboard. Really used to typing on a screen the last 4 years.
    jsntrenkler
    Mobile Gear: Retina Macbook Pro 13 / iPad Air / iPhone 5S / Pebble Smartwatch
    Community Rules & Guidelines
  7. #7  
    GingerSnapsBack's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,008 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,718 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS5

    Default Re: Please Apple, release a QWERTY phone

    Quote Originally Posted by grunt0300 View Post
    I think that BB should have released the Q10 first. It's going to be interesting if the SGSIV comes out about the same time. IMHO, some people are going to get "samsunged". Hey, is that word a noun or a verb.LOL
    IMO, it's kinda like the F word which can be a noun, verb, adjective or an adverb. Samsunged falls in that category.

    If the SGS4 comes out at the same time as the BBX phone, that's a horrible move on BB's part.
    Dude! You slapped a fish. You punched it! Why would you hit it?

    So she's praying...To Justin Timberlake apparently
  8. #8  
    RicHerdez's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    12 Posts

    Default Please Apple, release a QWERTY phone

    There are qwerty keyboard cases out on the market for iPhone just search for it and you will come up with a couple different ones


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  9. #9  
    jclisenby's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,424 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,461 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6

    Default Please Apple, release a QWERTY phone

    Apple won't release a phone with a physical keyboard. That's something of the past. Everything is moving to full touch today. Even BlackBerry recognizes the need for touch, that's why they are focusing on the Z10.
  10. #10  
    Fausty82's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,597 Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

    Default Re: Please Apple, release a QWERTY phone

    Quote Originally Posted by 3Dee View Post
    As a longtime BlackBerry user I'm so disappointed that the new BB10 OS has abandonded many of the things that made it great, especially for business users - data compression with BIS, push email, instant access seperate email inboxes - and have release an OS which copies the rest. As a longtime MacBook user I really like the Apple ecosystem, and would seriously consider moving to Apple if they brought out a QWERTY phone. Yeah, I know it's never going to happen and I'm just dreaming, but please, Tim Cook, if you're reading this, please give it some serious thought.
    Have you seen the onscreen keyboard? Guess what? It’s QWERTY. Now, if you’re asking for a physical keyboard, that’s a whole other matter. That ain’t happening.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    BLiNK likes this.
  11. #11  
    grunt0300's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,079 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,876 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    4.4.4

    Default Re: Please Apple, release a QWERTY phone

    Quote Originally Posted by GingerSnapsBack View Post
    IMO, it's kinda like the F word which can be a noun, verb, adjective or an adverb. Samsunged falls in that category.

    If the SGS4 comes out at the same time as the BBX phone, that's a horrible move on BB's part.
    That's why, i believe that it will happen. It's almost as if BB is looking for a way to fail. This way, they can tell their faithful that they tried. I had a BB Bold 9000, back in the day, and i loved it, but the one thing that i didn't like was the physical keyboard(i have big hands). If their keyboard is the only thing keeping some people attached to BB, then it's time for them to wake up and smell the coffee.LOL
    Give yourself, to the Dark Side!
  12. #12  
    Jrome.brooks's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    675 Posts
    Global Posts
    872 Global Posts

    Default Please Apple, release a QWERTY phone

    What keyboard ?? Where living in the future buttons are in the pass
  13. #13  
    GingerSnapsBack's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,008 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,718 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS5

    Default Re: Please Apple, release a QWERTY phone

    Quote Originally Posted by grunt0300 View Post
    That's why, i believe that it will happen. It's almost as if BB is looking for a way to fail. This way, they can tell their faithful that they tried. I had a BB Bold 9000, back in the day, and i loved it, but the one thing that i didn't like was the physical keyboard(i have big hands). If their keyboard is the only thing keeping some people attached to BB, then it's time for them to wake up and smell the coffee.LOL
    Same here except I've got small girly hands and I still hated the KB. Even as small as they are, those keys were way too close together. I love the v-keyboard on my iPhone a lot better.
    Dude! You slapped a fish. You punched it! Why would you hit it?

    So she's praying...To Justin Timberlake apparently
  14. #14  
    jefftam68's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    44 Posts
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    BB user.

    Default Re: Please Apple, release a QWERTY phone

    Quote Originally Posted by Jrome.brooks View Post
    What keyboard ?? Where living in the future buttons are in the pass
    Can't wait to get a flat glass keyboard for my desktop!! I hear that typing with buttons is a thing of the past ;-)
    Bobert_123 likes this.
  15. #15  
    Jrome.brooks's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    675 Posts
    Global Posts
    872 Global Posts

    Default Please Apple, release a QWERTY phone

    Quote Originally Posted by jefftam68 View Post
    Can't wait to get a flat glass keyboard for my desktop!! I hear that typing with buttons is a thing of the past ;-)
    Lol you wouldn't need glass no more it's going to be hologram
  16. #16  
    BLiNK's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,285 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,632 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

    Default Re: Please Apple, release a QWERTY phone

    this thread makes me sad :.(
    revtech likes this.
  17. #17  
    YorkieRay's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    75 Posts
    Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.6

    Default Re: Please Apple, release a QWERTY phone

    Quote Originally Posted by jclisenby View Post
    Apple won't release a phone with a physical keyboard. That's something of the past. Everything is moving to full touch today. Even BlackBerry recognizes the need for touch, that's why they are focusing on the Z10.
    The Z10 has full on screen touch gestures, there is no "home" button. When will Apple do the same with the iPhone?
  18. #18  
    jclisenby's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,424 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,461 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6

    Default Please Apple, release a QWERTY phone

    Quote Originally Posted by YorkieRay View Post
    The Z10 has full on screen touch gestures, there is no "home" button. When will Apple do the same with the iPhone?
    The home button is integral to the ease of use of iOS. If you take the home button away then you add more unnecessary gestures. I don't see them moving it for years to come.
    Thanked by:
    GingerSnapsBack (02-04-2013)
  19. #19  
    YorkieRay's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    75 Posts
    Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.6

    Default Re: Please Apple, release a QWERTY phone

    Quote Originally Posted by jclisenby View Post
    The home button is integral to the ease of use of iOS. If you take the home button away then you add more unnecessary gestures. I don't see them moving it for years to come.
    I find it strange that Apple retains a physical button following Steve Jobs mocking of phones with physical buttons back in 2007. Replacing the home button with on screen gestures would release space both internally and externally. It would also remove a moving part that is liable to failure.
    Thanked by:
    Bold_until_Hybrid_Comes (02-07-2013)
  20. #20  
    jclisenby's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,424 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,461 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6

    Default Please Apple, release a QWERTY phone

    Quote Originally Posted by YorkieRay View Post
    I find it strange that Apple retains a physical button following Steve Jobs mocking of phones with physical buttons back in 2007. Replacing the home button with on screen gestures would release space both internally and externally. It would also remove a moving part that is liable to failure.
    I see both sides of the argument. Many non tech people want the iPhone because it is simple and only has the one button and no complicated gesture sequences.

    Have you seen the new BB10 gesture list? There is a gesture for everything and it changes with each app and screen. Most people over 30 and girls, in general, prefer the home button and a single gesture for notifications.

    I could see them making it an on screen button, but I don't see it going away. You see how well gestures on the iPad have done. They are available but hidden away on a menu.
  21. #21  
    Karenkcoulter's Avatar

    Posts
    7,857 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,862 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

    Default Please Apple, release a QWERTY phone

    Quote Originally Posted by jclisenby View Post
    I see both sides of the argument. Many non tech people want the iPhone because it is simple and only has the one button and no complicated gesture sequences.

    Have you seen the new BB10 gesture list? There is a gesture for everything and it changes with each app and screen. Most people over 30 and girls, in general, prefer the home button and a single gesture for notifications.

    I could see them making it an on screen button, but I don't see it going away. You see how well gestures on the iPad have done. They are available but hidden away on a menu.
    Please stop with the sexism and ageism.
    Thanked by:
    revtech (03-26-2013)
    hydrogen3 likes this.
  22. #22  
    jclisenby's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,424 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,461 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6

    Default Please Apple, release a QWERTY phone

    Quote Originally Posted by Karenkcoulter View Post
    Please stop with the sexism and ageism.
    It's not sexist or ageist. Of the hundreds of people I know, it's always females and people over 30 that would rather have something simpler. It's definitely not sexist if its true for the majority.

    I'm sorry if you're offended by the facts. I meant no offense.
  23. #23  
    Karenkcoulter's Avatar

    Posts
    7,857 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,862 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

    Default Please Apple, release a QWERTY phone

    Then you know very different groups of people from me. I just feel there is no need to generalize like that. It's offensive to those you generalize about.

    It's no different than if in your experience/people you know, only people of "race x" wanted to keep the home button, and then you said it was a black or white or Asian (etc) thing to keep the home button. I'm guessing that you probably wouldn't post something so obviously racist. I'm just asking that you think about it before posting something that generalizes a group of people unless you specifically say something like "of the 100 people of which 50 of we're female that I've personally asked about the home button, 40 of the females and only 5 of the males wanted to keep the home button". That makes it clear that you are not generalizing about everyone in a group but only those whom you know.
    kch50428 and revtech like this.
  24. #24  
    GingerSnapsBack's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,008 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,718 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS5

    Default Re: Please Apple, release a QWERTY phone

    Quote Originally Posted by Karenkcoulter View Post
    Please stop with the sexism and ageism.
    I'm a female and over 30 and I don't find it sexist. I like the home button. it makes the iPhone so much easier to use.
    Dude! You slapped a fish. You punched it! Why would you hit it?

    So she's praying...To Justin Timberlake apparently
    kxta likes this.
  25. #25  
    juwaack68's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    53 Posts
    Global Posts
    593 Global Posts

    Default Re: Please Apple, release a QWERTY phone

    As a former BES Administrator, who used a BlackBerry for 9+ years, I recently made the switch from the BB (the Bold 9930) to the iPhone 5 - I have to say I don't miss the keyboard.

    The thing I do miss is having a convenience key on the side to launch an app of choice, as I always had the camera app launch using that key on the BB.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 154
    Last Post: 10-14-2011, 12:46 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-24-2009, 09:00 AM
  3. Apple releases the iphone 3GI only to loyal customers
    By Jharold in forum iPhone 3G Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-30-2009, 11:28 AM
  4. In London, Please help me unlock my phone
    By cydiahelp in forum Jailbreaking, Unlocking, Hacks, Themes & Mods
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-07-2009, 11:48 AM
  5. apple releases iphone configuration Utility 2.0
    By geemanaz in forum iPhone 4
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-18-2009, 08:45 PM

Posting Permissions