Please Apple, release a QWERTY phone

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Please stop with the sexism and ageism.

It's not sexist or ageist. Of the hundreds of people I know, it's always females and people over 30 that would rather have something simpler. It's definitely not sexist if its true for the majority.

I'm sorry if you're offended by the facts. I meant no offense.

juwaack68

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
As a former BES Administrator, who used a BlackBerry for 9+ years, I recently made the switch from the BB (the Bold 9930) to the iPhone 5 - I have to say I don't miss the keyboard.

The thing I do miss is having a convenience key on the side to launch an app of choice, as I always had the camera app launch using that key on the BB.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Man i wish they'd bring VHS back...as a person who had lots of VHS tapes, it seems like the best thing for modern consumer electronics companies to cater to the need of me, a guy who wants VHS relevant in my day to day activities.

Also...what is this?

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Man i wish they'd bring VHS back...as a person who had lots of VHS tapes, it seems like the best thing for modern consumer electronics companies to cater to the need of me, a guy who wants VHS relevant in my day to day activities.

Also...what is this?

Yes. Win.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Please Apple don't release a phone with a keyboard!

This. A keyboard phone today is a death sentence. Look at Palm just before the fall. Keyboard and done. Now BlackBerry is releasing another keyboard phone. We've seen the reviews, it's another fail.

Apple is going with innovation and continuing with the touchscreen. That's the right way. If you want a physical keyboard, there's always Bluetooth.

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
I use both a iPhone and a blackberry 9900. iPhone for work and the berry for personal. I can say I'm sure you put up with a virtual keyboard when that's what you switched to but having the ability to use either/or I always gravitate to my berry when I have to type more than a text. I noticed after receiving an iPhone for work that there is just a much higher level of confidence when typing with a physical keyboard.

I understand keyboards are a thing of the past but it's a co
Fort level thing. If someone of comfortable with something they don't want to leave it.

As for bb10 and the home button discussion an above poster stated that there is different gestures for different apps etc. the home button does 2 things on a iPhone. Closes an app and brings up the app switcher. Both things on a bb10 device can be done with a swipe up. That's. Not complicated in my opinion.

Sent using Tapatalk

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
The era of physical keyboards is over. We're moving into natural language where they'll be even less useful than ever.

A few will mourn them. In a few years new mainstream users won't even remember them.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
The era of physical keyboards is over. We're moving into natural language where they'll be even less useful than ever.

A few will mourn them. In a few years new mainstream users won't even remember them.

Most have already moved on and haven't missed it. I know I don't. I prefer a v-keyboard over a BB keyboard any day of the week. Even with small girly hands, I hated typing on the BB.

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Physical keyboards are a lot like manual transmissions in cars. They may still be "better" for certain purposes, but the market has shifted away from them over the years and it's become more of a niche. Just as auto transmissions have gotten better over the years, so have virtual keyboards in both their design and predictive text.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
You guys are all too sensitive! Some get offended by a post(which is all opinion) and others get offended that someone got offended. Lol.

I prefer touch to the physical keyboard. It is cleaner and less moving parts to break. I also like having a home button. It does more than just close apps and bring up the springboard, though.

mountainman

May 9, 2011
Visit site

Rene, I appreciate everything you do for this site and the community, but you are wrong on this one.

While in the last 10 years, natural language recognition has made huge strides, to think that, even beyond touchscreens, speaking to your phone is going to replace any form of typed input is indeed tomfoolery.

Maybe I'm way off base here, but a lot of people that I know don't even like to talk on the phone. For them, it's more about posting to Twitter, FaceTube, blog posts, forums, texts, etc... Point is, they would rather input this "stuff" and not have to talk to someone - whether that someone is an actual person, or a personal digital assistant (Aka Siri, for all of you not paying attention). Our society, for the worse, is getting so anti-social, do you think people will talk to their phones, instead of real people? If that I true, sign me up for the first rocket off this planet.

You are right about one thing - the idea of a physical keyboard is dead. It is dead because of the perceived old school design of BlackBerries, Palms, and the likes. Plus, the screen real-estate you give up is a huge minus to anyone considering even thinking about a QWERTY device, coming from their full touch device.

But it's not as simple as that. The era of keyboard devices was not that long ago, a "quickie" in tech terms. Sure you give up screen size - but to some, and to some who may not/never realize it, there are advantages. Typing speed/accuracy, shortcuts, better control. Problem is, the virtual keyboard has become the norm now. And ask any Blackberry Bold, Torch, or Curve user, and they will tell you that it's about the form factor. That is why they love those devices.

The reason that the keyboard is dead is because there are no options, unless you go BB Q10. And even the new BlackBerry is betting their future on the touchscreen Z10. Why? Because that is what consumers want. Or, it's what they think they want. Too bad they won't even get to try a keyboard smartphone in the coming years.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm sorry, but i can't imagine someone with a truly objective approach to the "keyboard" discussion wanting a physical keyboard over the virtual counter part...It's like trying to argue that modern manual transmissions (since it was mentioned before) vs. modern dual clutch transmissions that are quickly replacing them. There will always be a niche of people who want manual transmissions (i personally love them too), but to be 100% honest, there is NOTHING better about them vs. their dual clutch counter parts that remove the clutch pedal to remove the time and potential error of the driver...it gives the shift sequence to the computer, which can perform this duty faster than a human could ever optimally do...it's simply better than the standard manual transmission because of it's upgraded performance and the options that can be combined with it.

The keyboard is the same...the virtual keyboard performs as good or better than the physical one, and it has the ability to add features with seemingly no limitation. The bottom line here is this, there will always be some people who PREFER the physical keyboard for whatever reason, but in no way is it a better option for nearly countless reasons.

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
Its funny because as of right now I prefer a physical keyboard and drive a manual car. Haha

Sent from my game boy color

Charitha Abeynayaka

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi gays,

I have a solution for the key board problem. I brought a detachable Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard from jsxltech.com. It's a very cool accessory. It just not a keyboard but also can use as a cover. Very thin aluminium and durable.

You can get more details visiting "http://www.jsxltech.com/products/sharksucker-aluminum-detachable-wireless-bluetooth-keyboard-case-for-apple-iphone-5"

Hurry up now they are offering a dicount price now a days. Just $69.99 USD hurry up to own a stylish wireless key board for your wonderful IPhone 5.

Good luck

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Hi gays,

I have a solution for the key board problem. I brought a detachable Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard from jsxltech.com. It's a very cool accessory. It just not a keyboard but also can use as a cover. Very thin aluminium and durable.

You can get more details visiting "http://www.jsxltech.com/products/sharksucker-aluminum-detachable-wireless-bluetooth-keyboard-case-for-apple-iphone-5"

Hurry up now they are offering a dicount price now a days. Just $69.99 USD hurry up to own a stylish wireless key board for your wonderful IPhone 5.

Good luck

LMAOOOO !!

i wish this thread would die already