Alleged 2013 Apple Roadmap

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
according to this, 2 new iPhones will be released around the same time??

if true, there will be some pissed off 5S owners Ha!

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
so no 1st or 2nd Q iPhone. Hell, i might as well buy the 5 now. i could be dead by the time these new ones roll around #yolo

LSglock89

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
If there is a retina mini (of which I have doubts) and it's the same price (of which I have even greater doubt) I will most definitely be a buyer and sell my current mini.

EggoEspada

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I have doubt about there being an iPod line-up refresh. The iPod lines aren't as popular as they used to be, and while they sell well, do not see much of a increase year-over-year. I'm thinking iPod refreshes will come every other year to keep prices down and considering there's no incentive for people to go out in flocks to buy these things anymore. iPods are definitely still popular, but not a must-have at this day in age when everyone has well working iPods with no plans to buy new ones right away.

Also, the "redesigned" iPhone 5 launching along side a 5S kind of makes sense. Right now Apple sells previous generation iPhones as their 'cheaper iPhone'. But a lot of the mind set of customers is they'd prefer getting the newer device rather than something old in a lot of case. You simply re-brand the last generation iPhone and release it as a new iPhone and consumers will flock to the newer, budget-friendly iPhone. It's pretty similar to what has been done with the iPad and iPad Mini. Of course, the only down side to that plan is it could cannibalize the higher end iPhones.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
...(snipped)...Of course, the only down side to that plan is it could cannibalize the higher end iPhones.
Maybe. I believe the people who would have opted for the cheaper previous version will be the primary target of the alleged upcoming "redesigned" iPhone 5. Still, I cannot discount the people who will simply want it because it's "cute" and the teenagers who might want it because it's new but different than what their parents have.

tds199

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Personally, I have doubt about there being an iPod line-up refresh. The iPod lines aren't as popular as they used to be, and while they sell well, do not see much of a increase year-over-year. I'm thinking iPod refreshes will come every other year to keep prices down and considering there's no incentive for people to go out in flocks to buy these things anymore. iPods are definitely still popular, but not a must-have at this day in age when everyone has well working iPods with no plans to buy new ones right away.

Also, the "redesigned" iPhone 5 launching along side a 5S kind of makes sense. Right now Apple sells previous generation iPhones as their 'cheaper iPhone'. But a lot of the mind set of customers is they'd prefer getting the newer device rather than something old in a lot of case. You simply re-brand the last generation iPhone and release it as a new iPhone and consumers will flock to the newer, budget-friendly iPhone. It's pretty similar to what has been done with the iPad and iPad Mini. Of course, the only down side to that plan is it could cannibalize the higher end iPhones.

Agreed. Just like how the iPad mini will cannibalize the iPad.

fre12

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't see the point of the re-design of the iPhone 5. If you were to do any improvements or modifications to it, do it to the "iPhone 5s" and leave the iPhone 5 be.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
If i remember correctly, i think one of Apple's higher ups mentioned that there will not be any significant changes to the Macbook Pro line up this year, so i don't know about that "new design" retina model.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't see the point of the re-design of the iPhone 5. If you were to do any improvements or modifications to it, do it to the "iPhone 5s" and leave the iPhone 5 be.

It is my *assumption* that the alleged modification may be in the form of less expensive materials to its exterior. Of course, I have no proof to back my assumption...:)

kingofkats

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Here's how product dev. works. You have an idea, work up a design, then send it to vendors for rough quotes. You then either proceed or not. If the former, you create a rough prototype for approval and this too is quoted on. Then a full-on prototype. Then maybe even a small production run to get costs down. At each of these points, vendors may get collared for quotes and the moles go running to media contacts -- and at each point, marketing direction may change. It's NEVER a straight line and the ratio of first designs approved to final product may be 33% if you are brilliant at this game. So all or none of these rumors may be based in fact, but the one sure bet I'd make is for a bigger iPhone -- probably the more expensive one -- promoting alongside the 5s. Why? Because they can't ignore that segment, and the rumor mill says there's one at some stage in dev. I'd personally want the bug one to be the high end, but may gave to wait me more year for that.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR