Has anyone experience any rust on their iPhone 4 4S and 5?

gameson

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Maybe this question applies more to people with no case. 4/4S uses steel/aluminum bezel while the 5 uses aluminum on the back side and the bezel as well.

Just curious if anyone has seen any rust because of the dings or deep scratches

Thanks.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I've never heard of anyone experiencing rust. Aluminum is what the metal parts on the case of iPhones are made of and that material does not rust. Aluminum can corrode over time, however, it would take a while and lots of elemental exposure for corrosion.

gameson

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I see, thanks for the response. The reason I ask is that I know of an expensive watch that uses an anodized aluminum as its case and case back material and it experiences rust on certain corners of the watch (mostly happen in the case back where you see the thread which is invisible to users unless the watch is open and look at the case back). Not all of the watches have rust, but some of it do, and people are not that happy as they pay a considerable amount for the watch...

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I've had iPhones going all the way back to the first generation and none of them have ever rusted. None of my friends iPhones or iDevices have ever exhibited any rust either. Nor have I ever read any posts on any forums about anyone experiencing rust on their device. Some of my iPhones have been caseless, some (like my iPhone 5) are cased.

li2327

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
I have not experienced any rust on my iPhone 4 at all. I haven't gotten it wet so I'm not sure if that's why. Hope this helps. :)

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

josens

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Not on my iphone4 5 ipad mini retina Air. Never heard happen on any of other Apple devices. Even large one like Mac, Macboor Pro or Air. Would you mind to upload a photo?

pappyHolmes

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Yes, they do rust. Just took my daughter's 5c after water damage to see if it could be repaired. They told me it was shot and it was also rusted inside.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Iron rusts Steel rusts,you haven't got anything in an iphone that does.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Iron rusts Steel rusts,you haven't got anything in an iphone that does.

Well, I wouldn't go as far as to say that, but phones generally don't rust within a year or two of use...not just iPhones...

That is, unless you dip it in a pool...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro