PS4 or Xbox One?

jgenco78

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
I am looking at picking up a gaming console soon and I was wondering which system you would recommend getting.... PS4 or Xbox One? I am somewhat leaning towards Xbox One due to Dead Rising 3 but would really appreciate hearing what you think...

Thanks

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I have both...and they're both still very much unpolished "next gen" systems. Neither of them feel very impressive as far as UI goes, the games play well enough, but online multiplayer on both systems is hit or miss as far as performance goes, and this is really surprising to me for Xbox Live because it was a near perfect service on the 360, but is very glitchy on the Xbox One (and down time seems to be FAR more regular on both systems).

I buy most of my multiplayer games on Xbox One because that is where most of my online friends are...but to be honest, I've still yet to find ANYTHING on EITHER system that makes the investment worth while to me. My Wii U is a far better system...despite all of it's own shortcomings.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I bought my youngest son a PS4 for Christmas, and he enjoys playing on it. The games, at least the ones he has, look great on it, however, the console itself or, as Sean has already stated, the UI is nothing to be wowed about. Still, if you're into console games then you should at least consider it or the Xbox One, in my opinion.

anon(39328)

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
I've had both, and the problem with both is there's not a lot to do on either of them right now. If you're a Dark Souls fan, you'd probably be happiest with a PS4. Bloodborne is a ps4 exclusive.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I've had both, and the problem with both is there's not a lot to do on either of them right now. If you're a Dark Souls fan, you'd probably be happiest with a PS4. Bloodborne is a ps4 exclusive.

I kind of disagree with this...both of the systems offer A LOT in terms of functionality, the problem in my opinion is that they don't do any of it very well at all.

Xbox One, in my opinion, has the most to offer a user with the "Free with Gold" and MAJOR discounts offered (more than I have seen on the PS4 anyways). As far as things to do though, there's quite a bit to do on both systems including a lot of indi-games that are either free or very cheap and they've proven to be VERY good...one in particular is Max and the Curse of the Brotherhood...it was a surprise game to me because it was so good, I just wish it had been a bit longer.

Sports fans will REALLY enjoy the Xbox One, especially during football season. And the fact that the cable can run through the Xbox One will probably appeal to some people (though I disconnected it very quickly because to me, I found it a bit annoying).

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Am i the only one who had the image of Sheldon Cooper sitting on the floor in the electronics store trying to decide that exact same thing...

anon(39328)

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
As far as things to do though, there's quite a bit to do on both systems including a lot of indi-games that are either free or very cheap and they've proven to be VERY good...one in particular is Max and the Curse of the Brotherhood...it was a surprise game to me because it was so good, I just wish it had been a bit longer.

I do agree about the indies. Spent many hours with Defense Grid 2 and Geometry Wars 3. I don't think i've heard of the Max game. Will check it out after I get tired of another PC indie I recently got hooked on called Darkest Dungeon.

edit for the original poster: A bit more information about the ps4, which is what I currently have... There is no DLNA streaming on the ps4. Not sure if it will ever be added. So that's a bummer if you like having that capability. Another bummer for ps4 is that PSN seems to go down a lot. And when it goes down, it seems to stay down longer than xbox live. Overall though, I think I still prefer the ps4 over the xbox one.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Ok it was hysterical. Not Big Bang fans I guess.

Sent from my iPhone 6

Ive seen bits and pieces of it, but no, I'm not a fan. Not because it's a had show or anything. I've just never taken the time to sit down really watch it.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
This is a difficult decision to make.... Lol

So what are your preferences when gaming? You kind of have to give more detail as to what kind of gamer you are for people to give you good advice on which would be a better bet for your situation (since we have no idea how you play video games).

I play online A LOT, and most of my friends are on Xbox One, so if I could only have one or the other, I would choose the Xbox One myself.

boovish

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
I got the Xbox One, and I love it. My friend got the PS4, and in my opinion, it's worthless garbage. The Xbox UI is still kind of a mess however, I'm still wondering why they decided to put the store right on the dash, still not as bad as the playstation interface

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I got the Xbox One, and I love it. My friend got the PS4, and in my opinion, it's worthless garbage. The Xbox UI is still kind of a mess however, I'm still wondering why they decided to put the store right on the dash, still not as bad as the playstation interface

That and the fact that they chose to make EVERYTHING a damn tile app instead of directly accessible like it was on the 360. Why does my Xbox One have to open a damn app for parties and a separate app for friends and a separate app for messages...each of which cause the dashboard to slow down to a crawl if ANYTHING else is going on at the same time.

The 360 used to handle friends lists and parties near flawlessly...now, it's like performing brain surgery just to chat with friends and invite them to games and parties.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
My awesome wife just bought me a PS4 a few weeks. I was considering buying a used PS3 after selling my original to buy some phone that I no longer have. :( Not sold because I had an addition mind you but sold because I was hardly playing. This PS4 has been getting a TON of attention from me though.

Anywho... I personally go with Sony because I have 3 Xbox 360s and they all gave me the RROD so I said I'd not try an Xbox again. Like has already been stated, the UI is nothing to write home about. I expected the next generation of consoles to load games faster etc but I was severely underwhelmed. BUT, I only play Madden and 2K15 so maybe that has something to do with it.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
My awesome wife just bought me a PS4 a few weeks. I was considering buying a used PS3 after selling my original to buy some phone that I no longer have. :( Not sold because I had an addition mind you but sold because I was hardly playing. This PS4 has been getting a TON of attention from me though.

Anywho... I personally go with Sony because I have 3 Xbox 360s and they all gave me the RROD so I said I'd not try an Xbox again. Like has already been stated, the UI is nothing to write home about. I expected the next generation of consoles to load games faster etc but I was severely underwhelmed. BUT, I only play Madden and 2K15 so maybe that has something to do with it.

RROD has not been a problem on an Xbox since the 2nd generation "slim" model was released. That issue was specific to the first generation white models (I went through 4 of them over the years, so your complaint certainly doesn't fall on deaf ears).

Honestly, looking at the internals of both systems, they are built for the long haul for sure...plenty of cooling options, which is really the only major hardware speed bump they had to face (hopefully anyways).

boovish

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
That and the fact that they chose to make EVERYTHING a damn tile app instead of directly accessible like it was on the 360. Why does my Xbox One have to open a damn app for parties and a separate app for friends and a separate app for messages...each of which cause the dashboard to slow down to a crawl if ANYTHING else is going on at the same time.

The 360 used to handle friends lists and parties near flawlessly...now, it's like performing brain surgery just to chat with friends and invite them to games and parties.

I don't really bother with the friends on Live, and I've never had my Xbox slow down on the menu screen, but having to download the game even though you have a disc is ridiculous! And then I have to have the darn thing with me to play it too, but their is word that they are working on a PPC emulator for the Xbox One

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't really bother with the friends on Live, and I've never had my Xbox slow down on the menu screen, but having to download the game even though you have a disc is ridiculous! And then I have to have the darn thing with me to play it too, but their is word that they are working on a PPC emulator for the Xbox One

The UI is terrible on the Xbox One, which isn't surprising because they are pushing a touch screen tablet UI on a console, and anyone with half a brain could have told you that would be a bad move.

Hoping this major update coming this spring will at least remedy some of the issues, because when you have a lot of different things going on at the same time (party structure, game invites, etc), the thing gets all wonky, and it's just not an upgrade vs. what it used to be on the almost archaic feeling 360 UI.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711