Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

Default PS4 or Xbox One?

I am looking at picking up a gaming console soon and I was wondering which system you would recommend getting.... PS4 or Xbox One? I am somewhat leaning towards Xbox One due to Dead Rising 3 but would really appreciate hearing what you think...

Thanks
    Banned

Global Posts
    12,215 Global Posts

Default Re: PS4 or Xbox One?

I have both...and they're both still very much unpolished "next gen" systems. Neither of them feel very impressive as far as UI goes, the games play well enough, but online multiplayer on both systems is hit or miss as far as performance goes, and this is really surprising to me for Xbox Live because it was a near perfect service on the 360, but is very glitchy on the Xbox One (and down time seems to be FAR more regular on both systems).

I buy most of my multiplayer games on Xbox One because that is where most of my online friends are...but to be honest, I've still yet to find ANYTHING on EITHER system that makes the investment worth while to me. My Wii U is a far better system...despite all of it's own shortcomings.
    EmceeGeek likes this.

I bought my youngest son a PS4 for Christmas, and he enjoys playing on it. The games, at least the ones he has, look great on it, however, the console itself or, as Sean has already stated, the UI is nothing to be wowed about. Still, if you're into console games then you should at least consider it or the Xbox One, in my opinion.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    647 Global Posts

I've had both, and the problem with both is there's not a lot to do on either of them right now. If you're a Dark Souls fan, you'd probably be happiest with a PS4. Bloodborne is a ps4 exclusive.
    Banned

Global Posts
    12,215 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by diggity View Post
    I've had both, and the problem with both is there's not a lot to do on either of them right now. If you're a Dark Souls fan, you'd probably be happiest with a PS4. Bloodborne is a ps4 exclusive.
    I kind of disagree with this...both of the systems offer A LOT in terms of functionality, the problem in my opinion is that they don't do any of it very well at all.

Xbox One, in my opinion, has the most to offer a user with the "Free with Gold" and MAJOR discounts offered (more than I have seen on the PS4 anyways). As far as things to do though, there's quite a bit to do on both systems including a lot of indi-games that are either free or very cheap and they've proven to be VERY good...one in particular is Max and the Curse of the Brotherhood...it was a surprise game to me because it was so good, I just wish it had been a bit longer.

Sports fans will REALLY enjoy the Xbox One, especially during football season. And the fact that the cable can run through the Xbox One will probably appeal to some people (though I disconnected it very quickly because to me, I found it a bit annoying).

Am i the only one who had the image of Sheldon Cooper sitting on the floor in the electronics store trying to decide that exact same thing...
    mumfoau likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    12,215 Global Posts

I had to look up who Sheldon Cooper was...lol.
    Just_Me_D and TedNall like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    (Laughing)....Me, too...
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    647 Global Posts

As far as things to do though, there's quite a bit to do on both systems including a lot of indi-games that are either free or very cheap and they've proven to be VERY good...one in particular is Max and the Curse of the Brotherhood...it was a surprise game to me because it was so good, I just wish it had been a bit longer.
    I do agree about the indies. Spent many hours with Defense Grid 2 and Geometry Wars 3. I don't think i've heard of the Max game. Will check it out after I get tired of another PC indie I recently got hooked on called Darkest Dungeon.

edit for the original poster: A bit more information about the ps4, which is what I currently have... There is no DLNA streaming on the ps4. Not sure if it will ever be added. So that's a bummer if you like having that capability. Another bummer for ps4 is that PSN seems to go down a lot. And when it goes down, it seems to stay down longer than xbox live. Overall though, I think I still prefer the ps4 over the xbox one.
    Last edited by diggity; 02-25-2015 at 09:30 PM. Reason: additional information

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    (Laughing)....Me, too...
    Ok it was hysterical. Not Big Bang fans I guess.

Sent from my iPhone 6
    Banned

Global Posts
    12,215 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by phreddyl View Post

Sent from my iPhone 6
    Never got into it, no.

Quote Originally Posted by phreddyl View Post

Sent from my iPhone 6
    Ive seen bits and pieces of it, but no, I'm not a fan. Not because it's a had show or anything. I've just never taken the time to sit down really watch it.
  13. Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

This is a difficult decision to make.... Lol
    Banned

Global Posts
    12,215 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jgenco78 View Post
    This is a difficult decision to make.... Lol
    So what are your preferences when gaming? You kind of have to give more detail as to what kind of gamer you are for people to give you good advice on which would be a better bet for your situation (since we have no idea how you play video games).

I play online A LOT, and most of my friends are on Xbox One, so if I could only have one or the other, I would choose the Xbox One myself.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    1,660 Global Posts

I got the Xbox One, and I love it. My friend got the PS4, and in my opinion, it's worthless garbage. The Xbox UI is still kind of a mess however, I'm still wondering why they decided to put the store right on the dash, still not as bad as the playstation interface
    Banned

Global Posts
    12,215 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by boovish View Post
    I got the Xbox One, and I love it. My friend got the PS4, and in my opinion, it's worthless garbage. The Xbox UI is still kind of a mess however, I'm still wondering why they decided to put the store right on the dash, still not as bad as the playstation interface
    That and the fact that they chose to make EVERYTHING a damn tile app instead of directly accessible like it was on the 360. Why does my Xbox One have to open a damn app for parties and a separate app for friends and a separate app for messages...each of which cause the dashboard to slow down to a crawl if ANYTHING else is going on at the same time.

The 360 used to handle friends lists and parties near flawlessly...now, it's like performing brain surgery just to chat with friends and invite them to games and parties.
    boovish likes this.

My awesome wife just bought me a PS4 a few weeks. I was considering buying a used PS3 after selling my original to buy some phone that I no longer have. Not sold because I had an addition mind you but sold because I was hardly playing. This PS4 has been getting a TON of attention from me though.

Anywho... I personally go with Sony because I have 3 Xbox 360s and they all gave me the RROD so I said I'd not try an Xbox again. Like has already been stated, the UI is nothing to write home about. I expected the next generation of consoles to load games faster etc but I was severely underwhelmed. BUT, I only play Madden and 2K15 so maybe that has something to do with it.
    Banned

Global Posts
    12,215 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mumfoau View Post
    My awesome wife just bought me a PS4 a few weeks. I was considering buying a used PS3 after selling my original to buy some phone that I no longer have. Not sold because I had an addition mind you but sold because I was hardly playing. This PS4 has been getting a TON of attention from me though.

Anywho... I personally go with Sony because I have 3 Xbox 360s and they all gave me the RROD so I said I'd not try an Xbox again. Like has already been stated, the UI is nothing to write home about. I expected the next generation of consoles to load games faster etc but I was severely underwhelmed. BUT, I only play Madden and 2K15 so maybe that has something to do with it.
    RROD has not been a problem on an Xbox since the 2nd generation "slim" model was released. That issue was specific to the first generation white models (I went through 4 of them over the years, so your complaint certainly doesn't fall on deaf ears).

Honestly, looking at the internals of both systems, they are built for the long haul for sure...plenty of cooling options, which is really the only major hardware speed bump they had to face (hopefully anyways).
    mumfoau likes this.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    1,660 Global Posts

That and the fact that they chose to make EVERYTHING a damn tile app instead of directly accessible like it was on the 360. Why does my Xbox One have to open a damn app for parties and a separate app for friends and a separate app for messages...each of which cause the dashboard to slow down to a crawl if ANYTHING else is going on at the same time.

The 360 used to handle friends lists and parties near flawlessly...now, it's like performing brain surgery just to chat with friends and invite them to games and parties.
    I don't really bother with the friends on Live, and I've never had my Xbox slow down on the menu screen, but having to download the game even though you have a disc is ridiculous! And then I have to have the darn thing with me to play it too, but their is word that they are working on a PPC emulator for the Xbox One
    Banned

Global Posts
    12,215 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by boovish View Post
    I don't really bother with the friends on Live, and I've never had my Xbox slow down on the menu screen, but having to download the game even though you have a disc is ridiculous! And then I have to have the darn thing with me to play it too, but their is word that they are working on a PPC emulator for the Xbox One
    The UI is terrible on the Xbox One, which isn't surprising because they are pushing a touch screen tablet UI on a console, and anyone with half a brain could have told you that would be a bad move.

Hoping this major update coming this spring will at least remedy some of the issues, because when you have a lot of different things going on at the same time (party structure, game invites, etc), the thing gets all wonky, and it's just not an upgrade vs. what it used to be on the almost archaic feeling 360 UI.
    boovish likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

I've been on team xbox for two generations (Xbox andXbox360), now migrated for the first time to PS4 because a friend sort of coerced me to switch. I used to think that Xbox was a bit more quirky and receiving more love from developers than the mainstream PS platform, but I don't really look back. I think it boils down to exclusive titles, hardware wise it's really eye level. I personally was getting tired of the Halo thing for example, loved it at first but now it's just milking that franchise. Also, I remember being jealous of games such as Heavy Rain and Last of Us. Now with PS4 I get to catch up on that, and The Last of Us quite frankly for me has been a revelation and probably the best video game I have ever played. So that alone confirmed me in my choice. On top, Destiny, another of my favourites, also seems to get more attention on PS4, so thats another fortuitous thing.
    Two more things Ive grown really fond of: The controller (i was VERY skeptical coming from the 360, but I know think it's the best controller especially for shooting games). And the 'share' option on your controller. In both cases I cant speak for the xbox one, but the fact that any headset will work (eg my beats) with the wireless controller is sublime and enhances the game experience a lot. As for share; I love to take screenshots and video snippets of my gaming, which is stored in a media capture library and always lovely to visit after some time to eg reminisce about a game's finale or highlights or whatever. Again, no idea how well xbox one performs in those regards, but to me the PS4 serves exactly my needs as a casual gamer. I also think that graphically (the order) it may have the edge, but thats obviously a close call and a contentious statement to make.

either way, I dont think you can go wrong.
  22. Thread AuthorThread Author   #22  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

I am really into the GTA's of the world. Zombie games, and racing. I remember always hearing that Xbox was always better for sports games. Is that true?
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    2,865 Global Posts

I'm loving my PS4 so far, it's been a great purchase and I cannot wait until Uncharted 4 comes out
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    3,819 Global Posts

To me the Xbox One is a more complete system at the moment. You can play all kinds of video files on it, run your cable TV through the HDMI, and the interface is a bit more complete. The PS4 is graphically superior, but is incomplete. There is no DLNA support (which is how I watch movies) , no themes, sleep/wake isn't enabled yet, and there are several features that were mentioned that it would have that it doesn't have yet. Two of the most popular games on it are just remakes of PS3 versions (GTA V and The Last of US). However I think in the long run, the PS4 will be the superior system.

I am getting a PS4 today.

I've always been an Xbox guy
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast