Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 40
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    Jaguarr40's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    14,251 Posts
    Global Posts
    18,414 Global Posts

    Default I Want To Start To Become A Gamer - Any Suggstions?

    For those and even me are not the gaming type for whatever reason and now you want to start getting games and become an online or gamer on your device - What advice would you give someone to start out and what to do?
  2. #2  
    SeanHRCC's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    12,021 Posts
    Global Posts
    12,215 Global Posts

    Default Re: I Want To Start To Become A Gamer - Any Suggstions?

    To be honest, we'd need to know what kind of games you think would entertain you or interest you at all...first person shooters, sports, RPG's, MMO's, fighting games, etc. There are so many of them, and with the new generation systems, you have some really shining moments on both consoles.

    You have to pay for a premium online experience with either system...with Xbox Live, you pay a bit more but they have also shown to be a more polished online experience (this gap is slowing closing though with the new consoles, and eventually, I think you'll have an equalized experience and an equalized cost. Hopefully in the further future, you'll have cross platform gaming...that will be a real breakthrough in online multiplayers, but I think we're probably several years from that even beginning to pop up.

    I have the 3 major consoles right now...Xbox One, PS4 and Wii U. I can say without bias that each of them have some very nice perks and some really crappy downsides. Xbox One feels clunky and unpolished, PS4 feels unpolished and under supported and the Wii U has online gaming support that would have been top of the market...10 years ago. They all have some great titles out and some even better ones coming...

    For a person starting out, I don't know that I could suggest ANY of them. To be 100% honest...I think if I was starting out with online multiplayer, I'd go buy an old 360 for cheap and have my way with the discounted games over the last few years. Still some solid titles, and you could have a whole system with multiple controllers and games for less than the PS4 or Xbox One, and equal to the Wii U (maybe a little higher).
    Jaguarr40 likes this.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: I Want To Start To Become A Gamer - Any Suggstions?

    Not sure if Sean understood your post or am I interpreting it wrong?

    Are you saying a gamer as in Game Center on your device?
    Jaguarr40 likes this.
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    Jaguarr40's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    14,251 Posts
    Global Posts
    18,414 Global Posts

    Default Re: I Want To Start To Become A Gamer - Any Suggstions?

    Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    To be honest, we'd need to know what kind of games you think would entertain you or interest you at all...first person shooters, sports, RPG's, MMO's, fighting games, etc. There are so many of them, and with the new generation systems, you have some really shining moments on both consoles.

    You have to pay for a premium online experience with either system...with Xbox Live, you pay a bit more but they have also shown to be a more polished online experience (this gap is slowing closing though with the new consoles, and eventually, I think you'll have an equalized experience and an equalized cost. Hopefully in the further future, you'll have cross platform gaming...that will be a real breakthrough in online multiplayers, but I think we're probably several years from that even beginning to pop up.

    I have the 3 major consoles right now...Xbox One, PS4 and Wii U. I can say without bias that each of them have some very nice perks and some really crappy downsides. Xbox One feels clunky and unpolished, PS4 feels unpolished and under supported and the Wii U has online gaming support that would have been top of the market...10 years ago. They all have some great titles out and some even better ones coming...

    For a person starting out, I don't know that I could suggest ANY of them. To be 100% honest...I think if I was starting out with online multiplayer, I'd go buy an old 360 for cheap and have my way with the discounted games over the last few years. Still some solid titles, and you could have a whole system with multiple controllers and games for less than the PS4 or Xbox One, and equal to the Wii U (maybe a little higher).
    I have to to say Sean, I never thought much was gonna come of this one but my friend i want to thank you for taking the time to write a very concise post for anyone wanting to start gaming. I really appreciate it.
    Last edited by JustMe'D; 04-24-2014 at 08:35 AM.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    Jaguarr40's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    14,251 Posts
    Global Posts
    18,414 Global Posts

    Default Re: I Want To Start To Become A Gamer - Any Suggstions?

    Quote Originally Posted by kataran View Post
    Not sure if Sean understood your post or am I interpreting it wrong?

    Are you saying a gamer as in Game Center on your device?
    I was actually talking about Game Center Carlos and maybe my fault for not including Game Center in the title but sometimes good things come from my lack of the words game Center. Either way. Good post. It's all good.
  6. #6  
    iOS Gravity's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    3,970 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,583 Global Posts

    Default Re: I Want To Start To Become A Gamer - Any Suggstions?

    I'm not really sure what advice I can give you, but I'll give some game suggestions. I also added some general rules of thumb while playing the games.
    1. Cut The Rope- Give the monster his candy
    2. Cut The Rope 2- Give the monster his candy
    3. Temple Run- Don't let the monkeys catch you
    4. Temple Run 2- Run away from that giant ape
    5. Subway Surfers- Don't let the inspector catch you
    6. Final Fantasy
    7. Infinity Blade
    8. Doodle Jump- Keep jumping till you fall
    9. Smash Hit- Break glass, don't bump into things
    10. Jetpack Joyride- Don't bump into the lasers
    11. Some of those Flappy Bird clones- Don't break your phone when you are just one pipe away from beating your high score and you lose
    12. Clash of Clans
    13. Candy Crush Saga
    Jaguarr40 likes this.
  7. #7  
    SeanHRCC's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    12,021 Posts
    Global Posts
    12,215 Global Posts

    Default Re: I Want To Start To Become A Gamer - Any Suggstions?

    So this was another thread started simply to make a discussion for iMore traffic? Ugh...so frustrating.

    I'm also curious why this sub is being used for iPhone games when there is a specific forum FOR iPhone games?
  8. #8  

    Default Re: I Want To Start To Become A Gamer - Any Suggstions?

    Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    So this was another thread started simply to make a discussion for iMore traffic? Ugh...so frustrating.

    I'm also curious why this sub is being used for iPhone games when there is a specific forum FOR iPhone games?
    It's okay to have threads like this, Sean, and if you don't really want to see them around, just ignore them.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: I Want To Start To Become A Gamer - Any Suggstions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguarr40 View Post
    I was actually talking about Game Center Carlos and maybe my fault for not including Game Center in the title but sometimes good things come from my lack of the words game Center. Either way. Good post. It's all good.
    Assuming this is more than a Conversation Starter Jag I will recommend some great games from the App Store these are well made Paid offerings that you can play for years to come with regular updates

    BADLAND- just got another update today. It's a quality entertainer with single play as well as a challenging Game Center multi player

    Osmos- a great psychics based game with quality graphics and a great soothing soundtrack

    Smash hit- great sound and stunning graphics
    Jaguarr40 likes this.
  10. #10  
    SeanHRCC's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    12,021 Posts
    Global Posts
    12,215 Global Posts

    Default Re: I Want To Start To Become A Gamer - Any Suggstions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Speedygi View Post
    It's okay to have threads like this, Sean, and if you don't really want to see them around, just ignore them.
    When you respond to the threads in a direct manner to the person who started it when the original poster had no real interest in the subject matter...that's pretty annoying. I know you guys are doing it to spark up conversations around the website in various ways, but when you respond in a lengthy manner, only to find out it was just a filler thread...well...yeah.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: I Want To Start To Become A Gamer - Any Suggstions?

    Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    When you respond to the threads in a direct manner to the person who started it when the original poster had no real interest in the subject matter...that's pretty annoying. I know you guys are doing it to spark up conversations around the website in various ways, but when you respond in a lengthy manner, only to find out it was just a filler thread...well...yeah.
    Hey, people mess up all the time, but there's really no need to get all worked out over this. I know where you are coming from, but lets just move on from this...
  12. #12  
    SeanHRCC's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    12,021 Posts
    Global Posts
    12,215 Global Posts

    Default Re: I Want To Start To Become A Gamer - Any Suggstions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Speedygi View Post
    Hey, people mess up all the time, but there's really no need to get all worked out over this. I know where you are coming from, but lets just move on from this...
    I wasn't worked up...I was just pointing out it was annoying. It wasn't an accident...these filler threads are all over the website for a purpose.
  13. #13  
    iOS Gravity's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    3,970 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,583 Global Posts

    Default Re: I Want To Start To Become A Gamer - Any Suggstions?

    Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    When you respond to the threads in a direct manner to the person who started it when the original poster had no real interest in the subject matter...that's pretty annoying. I know you guys are doing it to spark up conversations around the website in various ways, but when you respond in a lengthy manner, only to find out it was just a filler thread...well...yeah.
    Thanks for the well rounded post Sean. Its appreciated.
  14. Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  
    Jaguarr40's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    14,251 Posts
    Global Posts
    18,414 Global Posts

    Default Re: I Want To Start To Become A Gamer - Any Suggstions?

    Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    So this was another thread started simply to make a discussion for iMore traffic? Ugh...so frustrating.

    I'm also curious why this sub is being used for iPhone games when there is a specific forum FOR iPhone games?
    Sean I certainly did not mean to get you upset by doing my job and also it is under the gaming. What other gaming is there that this would not fit.....Sorry, There was no intent involved other than doing what i am suppose to.
  15. #15  
    SeanHRCC's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    12,021 Posts
    Global Posts
    12,215 Global Posts

    Default Re: I Want To Start To Become A Gamer - Any Suggstions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguarr40 View Post
    Sean I certainly did not mean to get you upset by doing my job and also it is under the gaming. What other gaming is there that this would not fit.....Sorry, There was no intent involved other than doing what i am suppose to.
    I wasn't upset with you personally...and I totally understand your reasoning...I just dislike the filler threads is all. I find them counter productive really.
  16. Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  
    Jaguarr40's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    14,251 Posts
    Global Posts
    18,414 Global Posts

    Default Re: I Want To Start To Become A Gamer - Any Suggstions?

    Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    I wasn't upset with you personally...and I totally understand your reasoning...I just dislike the filler threads is all. I find them counter productive really.
    Thank you for at least understanding where I was coming from and what I have to do. I understand your point too and hope we are ok?
  17. #17  
    Drewbs's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    41 Posts
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts

    Default Re: I Want To Start To Become A Gamer - Any Suggstions?

    Definitely " Clash of Clans"
  18. #18  
    Flow39's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,487 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,591 Global Posts

    Default Re: I Want To Start To Become A Gamer - Any Suggstions?

    The Modern Combat and NOVA series' by Gameloft are both really good FPS games if you're into those.
    Speedygi likes this.
  19. #19  
    paxafe's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

    Default Re: I Want To Start To Become A Gamer - Any Suggstions?

    To become a gamer, you need a bright talent on games. You should test yourself out by playing genres like FPS and MOBA which you compete against other players in a challenging environment.
  20. #20  
    pozirk's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts

    Default Re: I Want To Start To Become A Gamer - Any Suggstions?

    just start playing ever game around.
  21. #21  
    Netforza's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts

    Default Re: I Want To Start To Become A Gamer - Any Suggstions?

    Did anyone mention Plants vs Zombies?

    What does it mean to become a Gamer anyway? You either like playing games or you don't.
  22. #22  
    christopholous's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

    Default Re: I Want To Start To Become A Gamer - Any Suggstions?

    I dont know that apple is the best platform for gaming. :/
  23. #23  
    princessiphone's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    75 Posts
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts

    Default I Want To Start To Become A Gamer - Any Suggstions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguarr40 View Post
    Thank you for at least understanding where I was coming from and what I have to do. I understand your point too and hope we are ok?
    You Hope you guys are ok? Hope he'll still be there at your wedding? Wth? Really?

    This guy is a total loser saying that this is a "filler thread" all he does on this forum is complain. Maybe he should get a new hobby because I always roll my eyes when his picture comes up because I know it's going to be something rude.

    Maybe he's a "filler" from androidcentral or crackberry.
  24. #24  
    SeanHRCC's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    12,021 Posts
    Global Posts
    12,215 Global Posts

    Default Re: I Want To Start To Become A Gamer - Any Suggstions?

    Quote Originally Posted by princessiphone View Post
    You Hope you guys are ok? Hope he'll still be there at your wedding? Wth? Really?

    This guy is a total loser saying that this is a "filler thread" all he does on this forum is complain. Maybe he should get a new hobby because I always roll my eyes when his picture comes up because I know it's going to be something rude.

    Maybe he's a "filler" from androidcentral or crackberry.
    Your forum stalking is a little creepy there "princess"...this thread is almost a year old, yet you come in with your little temper tantrum that could probably be resolved with a couple of midol and a marathon of Sex and the City. You commented that you always roll your eyes when my picture comes up, yet you're responding to an interaction from almost 12 months ago...interesting. When I see your picture, all I really remember is a little girl who started huffing and puffing in a thread about whatever because she can't handle real world attitudes.

    Maybe you could go tell mommy that someone was mean to you online and she'll make you some soup and give you a blanket to hold while she rubs your little head.

    I'm still baffled you find time to post in between intense selfie sessions...
    Beyond Fire likes this.
  25. #25  
    princessiphone's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    75 Posts
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts

    Default Re: I Want To Start To Become A Gamer - Any Suggstions?

    Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    Your forum stalking is a little creepy there "princess"...this thread is almost a year old, yet you come in with your little temper tantrum that could probably be resolved with a couple of midol and a marathon of Sex and the City. You commented that you always roll your eyes when my picture comes up, yet you're responding to an interaction from almost 12 months ago...interesting. When I see your picture, all I really remember is a little girl who started huffing and puffing in a thread about whatever because she can't handle real world attitudes.

    Maybe you could go tell mommy that someone was mean to you online and she'll make you some soup and give you a blanket to hold while she rubs your little head.

    I'm still baffled you find time to post in between intense selfie sessions...
    Lol
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Just signed up to Mac OS X beta
    By iBright in forum OS X / macOS
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 06-05-2014, 11:15 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-23-2014, 02:10 PM
  3. How to save disk space on your Mac by selectively syncing Dropbox folders
    By iMore.com in forum iMore.com News Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-23-2014, 12:40 PM
  4. iOS 7.1 code suggests Siri coming to the Apple TV
    By iMore.com in forum iMore.com News Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-23-2014, 11:36 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-23-2014, 11:00 AM

Posting Permissions