I Want To Start To Become A Gamer - Any Suggstions?

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
For those and even me are not the gaming type for whatever reason and now you want to start getting games and become an online or gamer on your device - What advice would you give someone to start out and what to do?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
To be honest, we'd need to know what kind of games you think would entertain you or interest you at all...first person shooters, sports, RPG's, MMO's, fighting games, etc. There are so many of them, and with the new generation systems, you have some really shining moments on both consoles.

You have to pay for a premium online experience with either system...with Xbox Live, you pay a bit more but they have also shown to be a more polished online experience (this gap is slowing closing though with the new consoles, and eventually, I think you'll have an equalized experience and an equalized cost. Hopefully in the further future, you'll have cross platform gaming...that will be a real breakthrough in online multiplayers, but I think we're probably several years from that even beginning to pop up.

I have the 3 major consoles right now...Xbox One, PS4 and Wii U. I can say without bias that each of them have some very nice perks and some really crappy downsides. Xbox One feels clunky and unpolished, PS4 feels unpolished and under supported and the Wii U has online gaming support that would have been top of the market...10 years ago. They all have some great titles out and some even better ones coming...

For a person starting out, I don't know that I could suggest ANY of them. To be 100% honest...I think if I was starting out with online multiplayer, I'd go buy an old 360 for cheap and have my way with the discounted games over the last few years. Still some solid titles, and you could have a whole system with multiple controllers and games for less than the PS4 or Xbox One, and equal to the Wii U (maybe a little higher).

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if Sean understood your post or am I interpreting it wrong?

Are you saying a gamer as in Game Center on your device?

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
To be honest, we'd need to know what kind of games you think would entertain you or interest you at all...first person shooters, sports, RPG's, MMO's, fighting games, etc. There are so many of them, and with the new generation systems, you have some really shining moments on both consoles.

You have to pay for a premium online experience with either system...with Xbox Live, you pay a bit more but they have also shown to be a more polished online experience (this gap is slowing closing though with the new consoles, and eventually, I think you'll have an equalized experience and an equalized cost. Hopefully in the further future, you'll have cross platform gaming...that will be a real breakthrough in online multiplayers, but I think we're probably several years from that even beginning to pop up.

I have the 3 major consoles right now...Xbox One, PS4 and Wii U. I can say without bias that each of them have some very nice perks and some really crappy downsides. Xbox One feels clunky and unpolished, PS4 feels unpolished and under supported and the Wii U has online gaming support that would have been top of the market...10 years ago. They all have some great titles out and some even better ones coming...

For a person starting out, I don't know that I could suggest ANY of them. To be 100% honest...I think if I was starting out with online multiplayer, I'd go buy an old 360 for cheap and have my way with the discounted games over the last few years. Still some solid titles, and you could have a whole system with multiple controllers and games for less than the PS4 or Xbox One, and equal to the Wii U (maybe a little higher).
I have to to say Sean, I never thought much was gonna come of this one but my friend i want to thank you for taking the time to write a very concise post for anyone wanting to start gaming. I really appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if Sean understood your post or am I interpreting it wrong?

Are you saying a gamer as in Game Center on your device?
I was actually talking about Game Center Carlos and maybe my fault for not including Game Center in the title but sometimes good things come from my lack of the words game Center. Either way. Good post. It's all good.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm not really sure what advice I can give you, but I'll give some game suggestions. I also added some general rules of thumb while playing the games. :D
  1. Cut The Rope- Give the monster his candy
  2. Cut The Rope 2- Give the monster his candy
  3. Temple Run- Don't let the monkeys catch you
  4. Temple Run 2- Run away from that giant ape
  5. Subway Surfers- Don't let the inspector catch you
  6. Final Fantasy
  7. Infinity Blade
  8. Doodle Jump- Keep jumping till you fall
  9. Smash Hit- Break glass, don't bump into things
  10. Jetpack Joyride- Don't bump into the lasers
  11. Some of those Flappy Bird clones- Don't break your phone when you are just one pipe away from beating your high score and you lose
  12. Clash of Clans
  13. Candy Crush Saga

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
So this was another thread started simply to make a discussion for iMore traffic? Ugh...so frustrating.

I'm also curious why this sub is being used for iPhone games when there is a specific forum FOR iPhone games?

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
So this was another thread started simply to make a discussion for iMore traffic? Ugh...so frustrating.

I'm also curious why this sub is being used for iPhone games when there is a specific forum FOR iPhone games?

It's okay to have threads like this, Sean, and if you don't really want to see them around, just ignore them. :)

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I was actually talking about Game Center Carlos and maybe my fault for not including Game Center in the title but sometimes good things come from my lack of the words game Center. Either way. Good post. It's all good.

Assuming this is more than a Conversation Starter Jag I will recommend some great games from the App Store these are well made Paid offerings that you can play for years to come with regular updates

BADLAND- just got another update today. It's a quality entertainer with single play as well as a challenging Game Center multi player

Osmos- a great psychics based game with quality graphics and a great soothing soundtrack

Smash hit- great sound and stunning graphics

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
It's okay to have threads like this, Sean, and if you don't really want to see them around, just ignore them. :)

When you respond to the threads in a direct manner to the person who started it when the original poster had no real interest in the subject matter...that's pretty annoying. I know you guys are doing it to spark up conversations around the website in various ways, but when you respond in a lengthy manner, only to find out it was just a filler thread...well...yeah.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
When you respond to the threads in a direct manner to the person who started it when the original poster had no real interest in the subject matter...that's pretty annoying. I know you guys are doing it to spark up conversations around the website in various ways, but when you respond in a lengthy manner, only to find out it was just a filler thread...well...yeah.

Hey, people mess up all the time, but there's really no need to get all worked out over this. I know where you are coming from, but lets just move on from this...

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Hey, people mess up all the time, but there's really no need to get all worked out over this. I know where you are coming from, but lets just move on from this...

I wasn't worked up...I was just pointing out it was annoying. It wasn't an accident...these filler threads are all over the website for a purpose.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for the well rounded post Sean. Its appreciated. :)

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

Sean I certainly did not mean to get you upset by doing my job and also it is under the gaming. What other gaming is there that this would not fit.....Sorry, There was no intent involved other than doing what i am suppose to. :)

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Sean I certainly did not mean to get you upset by doing my job and also it is under the gaming. What other gaming is there that this would not fit.....Sorry, There was no intent involved other than doing what i am suppose to. :)

I wasn't upset with you personally...and I totally understand your reasoning...I just dislike the filler threads is all. I find them counter productive really.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I wasn't upset with you personally...and I totally understand your reasoning...I just dislike the filler threads is all. I find them counter productive really.
Thank you for at least understanding where I was coming from and what I have to do. I understand your point too and hope we are ok?

paxafe

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
To become a gamer, you need a bright talent on games. You should test yourself out by playing genres like FPS and MOBA which you compete against other players in a challenging environment.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR