Should Apple buy PlayStation from Sony?

DroidArmy

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
This is a question I've been pondering for a while. I've owned every PlayStation so far to date. From my experience, Sony definitely knows gaming. But what if Apple bought the PlayStation division from Sony? I know it would probably never happen, but what if it did? What could Apple bring to the table?

I think Apple could really push Game Center if they controlled PlayStation. They could merge PSN into Game Center. The system would be linked to your Apple ID so your friends could see what game you were playing or what app you were using even on mobile. It could kind of be what Microsoft is trying to do with windows and the Xbox.

I want to know your thoughts about this. Would you buy a PlayStation if Apple made it? Do you think this would be a good business strategy for Apple? Let's discuss it!

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I for one wouldn't buy the device. What would be the point of PSN if you could use iTunes? Its an interesting thought though.

DroidArmy

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
I for one wouldn't buy the device. What would be the point of PSN if you could use iTunes? Its an interesting thought though.

No no, they would be intertwined. Like PSN would still exist but it would be merged with game center. Anything gaming would still be PSN. Purchases of course would be done through Apple's own store with all the games Sony has currently available. Game Center would be for the ios devices just like it is now. You could go into Game Center though and see that your friend was playing battlefield 3 on his ps3 or something. For the PlayStation you could also see what your friend was using on their ios device if they were using an app.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
No no, they would be intertwined. Like PSN would still exist but it would be merged with game center. Anything gaming would still be PSN. Purchases of course would be done through Apple's own store with all the games Sony has currently available. Game Center would be for the ios devices just like it is now. You could go into Game Center though and see that your friend was playing battlefield 3 on his ps3 or something. For the PlayStation you could also see what your friend was using on their ios device if they were using an app.

I don't see the point in knowing this information.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site

Dear god no!

I do not want anything I am doing... ever... to be broadcast to my friends unless and until I explicitly decide to tell them. I don't want to see what iOS apps my friends are using, nor do I ever want them to see what I am using. Not because I am doing anything dodgy, just that it is another form of spam and I know how much I hate it when I get it, so don't want to subject my friends to it.

I don't use Facebook, mainly because of the constant app/game request barrage and the incessant requests for Facebook to have access to my phone number and to 'check in; here or share that. I have Steam chat turned off and logged out always. I don't use a console at all and I have every single possible method of spamming my friends with what i am up to stopped, turned off or removed.

Internet forums like this are simply brilliant places for bringing like-minded individuals together and sharing information, tips and so on but I prefer this strange thing, some people may have heard of it, of meeting my friends face to face and talking to them then. The benefit of forums like this is that when I log out, it doesn't try to get me to update the forums with my location, or how i'm feeling, or pester me for my telephone number.

DroidArmy

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
According to everything here you'd all be against exactly what Microsoft is trying to do with the xbox and windows. I'm going to love to see how it's going to play out once they start merging everything

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
I've seen rumors that the latest gen gaming consoles could be the very last. With mobile, and streaming devices taking their place ... So No.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
This is a hilariously ridiculous rumor. Why would Sony sell off their biggest cash cow now?

To answer your question...Apple won't get a chance to buy the Playstation brand from Sony.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
According to everything here you'd all be against exactly what Microsoft is trying to do with the xbox and windows. I'm going to love to see how it's going to play out once they start merging everything

I have no idea what Microsoft is planning on doing with Windows and Xbox. I don't own an Xbox, nor will I ever own one so i'm not sure how it would be even remotely relevant to me. Let them cross-platform to their hearts content. If I don't own part of that platform than I guess part of the functionality will be locked out for me. I'll try to hold back my tears. I've already said i'm sticking to Windows 7 for as long as I can. Hopefully the next iteration of Windows won't suck as much as Windows 8 does.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
If it's so irrelevant to you, why join the discussion?

I don't have to look at the screen where my friends activity is shared on the Xbox One...in fact, you have to actually go and access said area to even see ANY of that stuff (and you can also turn it off). I've had a Facebook account since it was restricted to college students only...you know how many game requests or things like that I see every day? None.

You have control over this stuff...it's not like it's forced fed to you (if you know what you're doing).

AgentHeracles

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I recently purchased a PS4 and made sure that the sharing was turned off for everything when I set it up. You might be able to see friends'Trophy/Achievements in the Playstation/Microsoft apps? Will I use the 'Share' button on my controller, I don't know. As for the 8th generation being the last of the dedicated consoles, we shall see in 5-6 years (average console lifetime) how it plays out.

Last edited:

agarwal.apar

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Sony will NEVER sell PS to Apple. Sony is pioneer in gaming and one of their biggest revenue generating segment.

Sent from my Darth Vader black iPhone 5 using iMore Forums

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Sony will NEVER sell PS to Apple. Sony is pioneer in gaming and one of their biggest revenue generating segment.

Sent from my Darth Vader black iPhone 5 using iMore Forums

Precisely, that is if Sony isn't in financial trouble, which is currently not the case given the divisions they have outside of Mobile phones.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
I'll play along... NO! They shouldn't. Apple doesn't need to take that on. PlayStation is more open than Apple is. Whether it's a good or a bad thing, that's up for debate.

Should they already build their own gaming console? They already have... iOS products!