Tomb Raider (2013)

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1389587980.802656.jpg

Tomb Raider can be described as an action game, brought up to go beyond the genre and series it expands on, and yet it never feels like it lost much of the acrobatics we have come to expect from the resilient Lara Croft. That can confuse the direction of many a game studio, because to break through in an overdone genre and yet stay faithful to its trappings is like going in opposite directions.

This is why, although the Lara Croft here looks a lot like a true vision for an action protagonist with a soul within, she is like a seasoned actor brought to go through yet another lackluster scene here, but with perhaps a more extravagant modern slant. Usually a high budget movie has a plot like this, a shipwreck and a conspiracy theory that allows for plenty of tension and adventure, but feels like they could have pushed for higher levels of polish and intricacy in the gameplay itself.

Lara looks prettier and well developed in demeanor this time around, which is applaudable. They set out to create a realistic and less sexualixed version of Lara, but after close inspection it feels like the opposite, that they pushed the feminine side of Lara far more than before, keeping it within that same category of sex appeal or probably higher, especially when the graphics have become good enough to be considered as Next Gen, so for an action shooter it is a visual treat on par with Remember Me or Assassin?s Creed 3.

However, the combat system and the climbing sequences you have to go through for the sake of scene advancement are nothing to shake a stick at. There are variables that keep the difficulty respectable, but they usually involve shield-wielding enemies, sheer numbers and boss characters with the usual gimmicks to beat them. Then you realize a single overwhelming shotgun buckshot can be that get-out-of-jail-free-card and the challenge diminishes a little, changing the game into basically chunks of carefully curated battles to get to the next cut-scene or save point, the latest bane of modern gaming stemming from action games having to be on-rail experiences instead of deeply involved-and sometimes impossible challenges that keep the player on the toes.

You can?t argue with how genuinely nostalgic the action feels though. The combat has evolved into a gritty and savage affair. You can feel every crunch and force of a hit, and every thunk from an arrow hit feels satisfying, so you keep playing with a certain weird joy of wanting to get through unscathed and advancing deeper.

If that is probably its strongest point, then I?m happy it is. People coming into Tomb Raider don?t typically look for an extremely deep experience but rather appreciate the character for what she is, a strong female protagonist. Take it how you will, if you aren?t looking for the spiritual successor to Half life 2 in any sense of facet, you would find a decent adventure that attempts to reinvent and to mature an established character. It?s really just a beginning rather than an end, and you will be entertained with this game for the action and the franchise's influence at least.

7/10

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
One thing that struck me as odd with this game was that the graphics did not look representative of our modern systems (not even necessarily next gen, but even the modern 360/PS3 games). Were they better while playing? Watching the videos, I felt like I was seeing a game from the mid year range of the last gen consoles.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
One thing that struck me as odd with this game was that the graphics did not look representative of our modern systems (not even necessarily next gen, but even the modern 360/PS3 games). Were they better while playing? Watching the videos, I felt like I was seeing a game from the mid year range of the last gen consoles.

You obviously haven't played the PC version, so you should absolutely get the new Next Gen edition for XBox One, and rectify that ha

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Lots of tessellation and motion blur, kinda like a dirtier Remember Me, but far better and more detailed.

It isn't the typical next Gen Battlefield or Call of Duty kind of graphics though, it has a grittier look and yet really detailed character designs that show actual scar marks on Lara for example. She looks real, every bit how you expect a young woman to look.

Incidentally they look at the concept shots alot too.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
But these are totally new adventures or is it a new version of the first game from Tomb Raider series?

Welcome, Neil, this is a completely new game, not based on any in the series. It looks next-gen now with the definitive edition , and I recommend going for that. :)

Beyond Fire

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Oh man those PS4 graphics look amazing! This was my first Tomb Raider game I've ever played and I really enjoyed it. I'll be sure to pick up the definitive edition once I get a PS4.

Neli1000

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
I was sure that it is the same game with new options and graphics. And it's not the continuation of the previous game? From what I remember the previous version ended in a way suggesting that Lara goes for another journey.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I was sure that it is the same game with new options and graphics. And it's not the continuation of the previous game? From what I remember the previous version ended in a way suggesting that Lara goes for another journey.

Oh you meant the definitive version, it's exactly the same then. Haha I thought you meant from the first ever Tomb raider..

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73