The Rise of the Social Networks

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
It seems like every single day there is a new announcement of an app or service that claims to be either the next "big thing in social" or a social outlet for one specific interest. Even analysts have begun weighing in on how this shift has started. Instead of developing games and productivity apps, people are trying to market their ideas in the social media arena. We have the big ones; Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, LinkedIn. Some may say that Google+, MySpace, Reddit and a few others also qualify as major social networks.

But there are hundreds, if not thousands, more social networks popping up every day. App.net is a new one that actually seems to be taking hold. The purpose of this thread is for everyone to discuss your views on the current situation and the future of social networking. Do you think we are at the place where we have more than enough "Major" social networks and smaller ones won't ever take hold? Or maybe you think that some of the current big players in social will be shortly dethroned by some new entries? Or you could possibly be one that thinks more is better, joining and actively using every new social network that comes along.

I personally think that the 4-5 major networks are more than enough. Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram are the three I use. I just don't have the time or energy to post content actively on any more networks than this. Facebook and Twitter are the controlling interests here, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. Sure, people complain about Facebook this or Twitter that, but another network taking over doesn't look like it'll happen. So much is integrated with these two. There are many sites and apps that now require you to log in with either Facebook or Twitter to even use them.

Let's not turn this into an argument over whether Facebook is good or Twitter is bad. Let's use this thread to discuss what we all use now and what we see as the future of social networking.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm in agreement. I think the major ones we have now are more than enough, but I can't ignore the fact that we live in an age where being online socially is the norm, especially for the younger generation. By the way, why aren't forums considered social networks?

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm in agreement. I think the major ones we have now are more than enough, but I can't ignore the fact that we live in an age where being online socially is the norm, especially for the younger generation. By the way, why aren't forums considered social networks?

I didn't even think about forums as a form of social networking. I guess technically they would fall in under the interest based social network. I guess adding those in would add 2 more to my personal list, which is getting quite big.

I wonder how far away we are from moving the majority of our interactions onto social networks instead of traditional interaction. It seems that some are even moving away from texting their friends to communications more using Twitter or Facebook messaging.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I didn't even think about forums as a form of social networking. I guess technically they would fall in under the interest based social network. I guess adding those in would add 2 more to my personal list, which is getting quite big.

I wonder how far away we are from moving the majority of our interactions onto social networks instead of traditional interaction. It seems that some are even moving away from texting their friends to communications more using Twitter or Facebook messaging.

We are already there, my friend. Take my daughter for example. She and her friends have basically snubbed Facebook in favor of Twitter. I use Twitter for politics and for near instantaneous news but she uses it as a chat room with her friends.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
You asked what we all used, I can proudly say I use none of 'em.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow. You don't use any social networks like Facebook or Twitter? But you do use some social, since you're a forums poster. What influences your choice to skip being a part of the social revolution. You're definitely in a tiny minority, just curious why.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I would eschew all social networks if I could but unfortunately I need Facebook and Twitter for my business. I only use them in a business related context and although I have a personal profile on Facebook, the last time I posted something on it was 2009. I don't use any other social networks (except various forums) at all.

Social networks became popular because it obviously allowed people that weren't in the immediate vicinity of each other to communicate on a wider social level. The problem with having too many social networks that are all fighting for dominance is that we are diluting the user base and ultimately lessening the usefulness of any one particular network as people are spread about amongst them, much like real life.

For instance, I have a few friends that do have Facebook accounts but pretty much just use Google+, meaning that it is easier for me to contact them via email than it would be to create ANOTHER social network presence just to speak to them.

By way of analogy, too many social networks would be similar to AT&T users not being able to speak to Verizon users in any way unless they obtained a Verizon phone.

jf1450

Aug 26, 2012
Visit site
Wow. You don't use any social networks like Facebook or Twitter? But you do use some social, since you're a forums poster. What influences your choice to skip being a part of the social revolution. You're definitely in a tiny minority, just curious why.

Yep, none. Simply no desire and don't want to feel obligated to respond. I belong to forums that interest me and don't need anything else.

Jeff

Last edited:

GGRRAAFT

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

Jeff

I'm sure I have an old myspace or something. And of course I'm on the playstation network, but just like you. If you need me, you've got my number! And don't call me from a Facebook phone, you'll find I'm no longer home.

ThomasJL

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Ditto for me. Never had a myspace, and I will never have FB or any of this other crap.

Just don't see what the point of using all these things is. If I want to meet someone, I'll just go up in person and...gasp....talk to them.

Oh, and any app that makes me login to any social network in order to use it, is an app that I will NEVER EVER pay for or even use for free.

Jeff

WreakingHavoc

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I vaguely remember one time before I had Twitter going out side and talking to neighbours ;)

***Team Jailbreak, sent using TapaTalk
iPhone 5, iPad 2, Apple TV 3, Macbook Air
Tweet @LondonComp ***

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Ditto for me. Never had a myspace, and I will never have FB or any of this other crap.

Just don't see what the point of using all these things is. If I want to meet someone, I'll just go up in person and...gasp....talk to them.

Oh, and any app that makes me login to any social network in order to use it, is an app that I will NEVER EVER pay for or even use for free.

You and your chums and family must still live in the same town where you were born and grew up. Many of us don't, and things like FB are a great way to stay in touch now that we're spread out over the globe. I'd love to be able to get up and talk to my old friends in person. Heck, I'd love to be able to go out and talk to my children - but they're a thousand miles away. FB is great.

GGRRAAFT

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
You and your chums and family must still live in the same town where you were born and grew up. Many of us don't, and things like FB are a great way to stay in touch now that we're spread out over the globe. I'd love to be able to get up and talk to my old friends in person. Heck, I'd love to be able to go out and talk to my children - but they're a thousand miles away. FB is great.

I grew up all over the works, moved every two years. Get the country code, and area code, stay by the phone, waiting for a call, check the actual mail box. Yeah Facebook was great for half a second and perfect for showing me just how much changes over distance and time. Friends check in or like various parties or radical causes and flood me with their trash, equivalent of street flyers. The friends I still know and need are the ones that made more of an effort than just a random mouse click and FB stalk. I understand that it is amazingly perfect for some people but those people with little exception, are not compatible with me or my people. I value my friendships and my privacy more than I'm willing to sacrifice to be connected that way.

ThomasJL

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Email & the phone, also the old AIM chat messenger back in the day, and MSN messenger.

Some of the family has their own paid, private websites for photos & stuff that we all have accounts on.

We're also in the process of getting off g**gle's services.

And what did you use a year and a half ago before iMessage and Facetime? FB has been around and (relatively) dependable for years.

theKHMERboy

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I only use Facebook which I barely even use now.. I only use Facebook to chat to friends that have no number or so.. Oh and Instagram cause I like to look at pictures and post memories of my pics on there.. But I honestly think ppl are over using and abusing social media now like Facebook most times I just see ppl bad mouthing about something or post something stupid and same goes for Instagram.. Ppl take pictures of the dumbest things and post it like no need to see a picture of your feet n shoes or how u look when u wake up, out of the shower n etc.. Social media is getting to overrated now

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73