Facebook? Is it really needed?

jexner325

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I recently picked up an iPad; love it but find that a lot of the apps that I use my iPhone for, such as Facebook, Bloomberg etc, it is sometimes easier to just navigate to the website via Safari on the iPad. I know that apps on the iPhone allow the user to get access to information quickly on a small screen since utilizing the web page may be inconvenient. This may not be necessary for the iPad.

I am just wondering if a lot of apps that people have been requesting for the iPad such as Facebook may never be developed because developers and companies find that their website suffices for devices like the iPad. They wouldn't make a specialized app for a netbook, why do it for an iPad especially if it is free and people will continue to navigate to the website anyways?

Don't get me wrong, I would definitely check out the Facebook app for iPad. I just wonder if the developers/companies will look at this device more as a netbook/laptop alternative and applications will be more in depth and offer a more fulfilling experience much like a laptop application (possibly leading to more expensive apps such as Microsoft Office, Quicken, Quickbooks etc).

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
It's a good question you bring up. Browsers made the web what it is today, but it seems like we are moving away from the browser and more client / server programs that retrieve data from the cloud.

Should be interesting to see how "the web" is 5 years from now.

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I'd like it solely to be able to chat with people. However you can do this through the AIM app now so it really no longer matters to me.

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
I want a Facebook app for iPad because there are things on the web I can't use on iPad (FB application, chat, etc...) and the web just isn't designed to be used with a finger. If Facebook developed an application, then the overall Facebook experience on iPad would be better... well, providing that the app wasn't anywhere as poor of quality as the iPhone version.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
the web just isn't designed to be used with a finger.
As a web developer I keep seeing this more and more with every new site I create. There is really a need to create the regular version of a website and then a touch version. I know the big thing is "mobile" version, but I think touch version is more important now with all these iPhone OS devices out there and more like them to come from others.

Katrinkanova

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I am mostly happy with using Facebook via Safari, except you can't use chat and you can't upload photos. I would love to be able to do that - I do a lot of photography and store it on my laptop and iPad, so it would be cool to post that stuff when I'm not near the laptop.

I actually have enjoyed using Safari with a touchscreen, although it is frustrating occasionally. I've noticed that the apps for many sites are much more attractive and user friendly - now only if they could just re-work their regular sites to match!

Guzman

Mar 18, 2010
www.GuzmanWebsites.com
I had not thought about the future of the web yet its a good thing to think about. Everything is moving to the cloud, and designers need to keep this in mind. I'd love to have an optimized iPad edition of Facebook. Mainly for chat, photo browsing and upload, as well as timelines.

chadman

TiPb Blog and Forum Staff
Sep 7, 2006
twitter.com
I can't say it is required, but would be useful if only to upload media. However, the easiest way around this is to use your facebook mobile email address. I use this on the iPhone all the time so videos and images can send in the background while I am outside of the app.

Rasterman

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I can't say it is required, but would be useful if only to upload media. However, the easiest way around this is to use your facebook mobile email address. I use this on the iPhone all the time so videos and images can send in the background while I am outside of the app.

yeah much easier to use IMO

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77